Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the wife and I being huge walking dead fans are taking the X (lucille) up to Georgia April 20-23. Anything to keep aware of while up there? We are coming from Florida. I know helmets are mandatory and we wear them regardless. My main concern is safety and security.

Thanks for any feedback.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome to GA! Here are a few tips. Stay off of 285 if possible. It's covered in construction, uneven pavement, and people absolutely fly. Erratic lane changes are the norm so if you must use it, keep to the slow lane and at least you'll have the shoulder to bail onto if needed. That is IF it's not blocked by construction barriers! Also, all semi's must take 285 unless they are delivering into or from within the perimeter highway so the truck traffic on 285 is epic.

The weather has been much warmer than usual but you can check that before you leave.

If you get a chance, visit Stone Mountain. It's close to town and an awesome site.

But even before I'd reccomend Stone Mountain, I'd say to head north. Take 400 north and find your way to Dahlonega. Great little college town and the site of America's first Gold rush. It's about an hour north of Atl. Stop for a bite at Shenanigans (killer food & biker friendly). Then find your way to hwy 129. That's about 20 minutes from Dahlonega. When you hit 129, go left towards Blood Mountain & Desoto Falls. It's some of the finest riding you will ever experience! Deeply cut curve after delicious curve on beautiful blacktop. Some call it "A run with the wolf." Not sure where the name came from but those roads are unreal.

If you can make your way to Helen, via Richard Russell Scenic Hwy, that's another awesome ride and Helen is great. Stop by the International Cafe and get the best Ruben sandwich this side of Bavaria. Helen is a German themed town.

Have fun! Georgia has so much to offer us riders.

Ben

·
Registered
49 Posts
Forgot to mention... If you visit downtown ATL, it's very nice and safe around Centennial Park day and night. The huge Ferris wheel is fun and at night has a great view. Very near there is the Peachtree Plaza Hotel. At one time it was the tallest hotel in the northern hemisphere. It has a great elevator that rides on the outside of the structure affording great views. At the top is the Sundial cocktail lounge. By day you can dress pretty casual and at night it more business casual. The bar slowly rotates so you get to see the entire Atlanta skyline. The Aquarium, just off Centennial Park is awesome. I believe it's the worlds largest. If you like unique fast food, hit the Varsity. Largest single fast food restaurant in the world and an experience for sure. We locals absolutely love the food but visitors don't always agree! I think they have the best onion rings I've ever tasted! An old Atlanta attraction is Underground Atlanta. I'd stay away, especially at night. Not much to see there anymore and it gets pretty edgy at night, especially on the weekends. Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me an email at [email protected] As you can tell, I love and know GA/ATL very well. I was born here 57 years ago!
Ben

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so centennial good, underground bad. How's it near or at the zoo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Zoo is about 5-10 minutes from downtown. Very close, just depends on traffic. It's a very nice Zoo to visit. All the big game animals you'd expect. Great gorilla exhibit. Not too huge either. You can take most all of it in in a couple hours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts