Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am looking to buy a Cardo PackTalk set. Do any of you have this? What are your thoughts? I have looked at the Sena 50 also but like the Cardo a little more.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hello All,
I am looking to buy a Cardo PackTalk set. Do any of you have this? What are your thoughts? I have looked at the Sena 50 also but like the Cardo a little more.
I have the Cardo Pack Talk Black. and a Sena SMH5 <--I think.

The Cardo sounds much better than the Sena but it would because it's a higher tier model than the Sena. The One major benefit that the Packtalk has over the Sena is that it's waterproof. I really like the Cardo App. My Sena doesn't have the app but I think the higher tier models do. I would definitely recommend the Packtalk.

1 other thing to keep in mind. Don't let any of their claimed distance ratings sway your decision Neither of them are accurate and both perform about the same.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I went through multiple comm systems before settling on an overpriced Sena (model 10, IIRC).
The Sena has easy intercom, good and easy controls and good documentation.
The only reason I have the Sena is its lack of auto-answer feature. All the other cheaper alternatives (including Cardo) had the annoying auto-answer feature for phone calls. Without any way to turn it off. They give you 5 seconds to reject a phone call. That is not enough time to pull over, fish the phone out of my pocket and see who's calling. And since the comm system does not announce the number or caller, I have no idea who's calling. I was lucky that Amazon has such good return policy. I returned all the previous comms I tried. I was dismayed to how many do stupid shit like that to us.
Nonetheless, I believe it was Cardo who had the neat feature that increases headphone volume as ambient sound levels go up. Very useful. Sena does not have that feature. Whether they just didn't think of it or maybe they are scared due to patent infringements, I don't know. But I miss it.

Agree with Ninja, the distance promises for maximum range are GROSSLY overstated.
1 mile? No way BT works across 1 mile. I laugh.
1/2 mile? Keep dreaming.
1/4 mile? Not quite.
200 yds is more realistic in traffic with metal objects between riders.
Often, you can see the other rider but cannot hear him.
So if your buddy gets lost, just hang up the Intercom and call him on the cell. Chances are, though, he's not gonna answer if he doesn't know who's calling. :D

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The only reason I have the Sena is its lack of auto-answer feature. All the other cheaper alternatives (including Cardo) had the annoying auto-answer feature for phone calls.
three words--

Chubby Buttons 2

Amazon.com: Chubby Buttons 2- Wearable & Stickable Bluetooth 5.1 Remote for iPhone & Android | Big Buttons for Gloves | Water Resistant | Launch SIri, Google Assistant, Answer Calls, Control Music, Camera & Video: Electronics

great product. volume up and down, track forward and back, play/pause.

pressing the play/pause button will reject the call.

I wear them when I bicycle commute, and just started using them on the VTX, great product, no need to mess with the phone, the buttons are big, easy, and it just works.

I have the HJC Sena 10B myself, which is essentially the same as the Sena 10.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I went through multiple comm systems before settling on an overpriced Sena (model 10, IIRC).
The Sena has easy intercom, good and easy controls and good documentation.
The only reason I have the Sena is its lack of auto-answer feature. All the other cheaper alternatives (including Cardo) had the annoying auto-answer feature for phone calls. Without any way to turn it off. They give you 5 seconds to reject a phone call. That is not enough time to pull over, fish the phone out of my pocket and see who's calling. And since the comm system does not announce the number or caller, I have no idea who's calling. I was lucky that Amazon has such good return policy. I returned all the previous comms I tried. I was dismayed to how many do stupid shit like that to us.
Nonetheless, I believe it was Cardo who had the neat feature that increases headphone volume as ambient sound levels go up. Very useful. Sena does not have that feature. Whether they just didn't think of it or maybe they are scared due to patent infringements, I don't know. But I miss it.

Agree with Ninja, the distance promises for maximum range are GROSSLY overstated.
1 mile? No way BT works across 1 mile. I laugh.
1/2 mile? Keep dreaming.
1/4 mile? Not quite.
200 yds is more realistic in traffic with metal objects between riders.
Often, you can see the other rider but cannot hear him.
So if your buddy gets lost, just hang up the Intercom and call him on the cell. Chances are, though, he's not gonna answer if he doesn't know who's calling. :D
I'm going to test this when I get home but I don't think my packtalk auto answers calls.

·
Registered
220 Posts
What are you guys using this for? Rider to rider communication? I don't need that but I'd like to use my phone and listen to GPS directions and maybe some music, but I have never had luck with audio on a bike. The wind noise overwhelms whatever I try, earphones in helmet, ear buds, etc. This with a windshield and full face helmet.

Are these systems you are talking about overcoming this by just being really loud, louder than the wind?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
What are you guys using this for? Rider to rider communication? I don't need that but I'd like to use my phone and listen to GPS directions and maybe some music, but I have never had luck with audio on a bike. The wind noise overwhelms whatever I try, earphones in helmet, ear buds, etc. This with a windshield and full face helmet.

Are these systems you are talking about overcoming this by just being really loud, louder than the wind?
the Sena is a specific in helmet system, designed for motorcycle helmets. I use mine for music and GPS directions I do not talk on my phone while driving, car or bike. I can tell you the Sena 10b unit I have works well with a full face modular helmet at highway speeds. I had the X up to 98mph this past weekend and no issue with hearing the music.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ok Guys, So I'm Working from home today and in a fit of procrastination I decided to slap my helmet on and test out this Auto answer claim. As I mentioned before I have the Cardo Packtalk Black Edition which is basically a Blacked out version of the Bold with I think 3mm larger speakers. I called my cell phone from another device and as it should the ringer went through the Bluetooth speakers but did not automatically answer the call. I let the phone ring all the way until it went to voice mail.

I've got to think that if this was an issue that you were having with a Cardo product then there should be an option to turn it off. That being said I also went into the app and could not find an option to turn it on but it could also be a function that is turned on or off with a coordinated button press. I will need to do more research. I will say though that I agree if it automatically answered ever call I would get extremely frustrated. I don't need to interrupt my ride to take calls about my trucks extended warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
My buddy had a Cardio and hated them. He said they never did work right and customer service was worse. He only tried use them to communicate with his wife on pillion.

He bought the over priced Sena 10 and likes them. So I bought the Sena 20, speaker sucked. Sena came out with some new plug and play speakers for my 20. I bought them, $40 or $50 I think. They seem to work great bike to bike. The one time I needed customer service it was good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts