Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you keep condensation from forming on the OUTSIDE of the motorcycle? Every time the weather changes from cool to warm days with high humidity my bike condenses, paint, chrome, engine, and all. I keep it garaged and under a cover and am afraid I could at the very least cloud the paint. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
What are you using to cover the bike? do not use cotton or the water proof tarps. The cover needs to breath.

·
Registered
166 Posts
:yikes:had the same probelm on warm days,keep the door closed at all times unless you need to use it.It works for me and I have nothing on the floor

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Problem is the bike is colder then the outside air. I have a detached garage and the air temp inside the garage is sometimes colder then the air temp outside and if I open the garage condensation will form on the bike and anything else in there. The only way to prevent it is to warm the garage (bike) temp to equal or above the outside temp.

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
:yikes:had the same probelm on warm days,keep the door closed at all times unless you need to use it.It works for me and I have nothing on the floor
+1, I just figured out works better for me if I use the side door, as mentioned I park mine on a area rug covered with a king size sheet, and have a fan blowing on it when I know the weather is going to turn. Its still hard to keep it completely dry. I did a search on the subject(lots of good reading by the way) and got all kinds of conflicting opinions, I think we all know its the cold bike meeting the warm air, the other day it was so bad first time I noticed my truck sweating too. Good luck

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I know what you mean I went out to do some work on my X the other day looked good all clean and shinny and then I opened the door and with in a few mins the whole bike was covered in condensation. SUCKED!!!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1, I just figured out works better for me if I use the side door, as mentioned I park mine on a area rug covered with a king size sheet, and have a fan blowing on it when I know the weather is going to turn. Its still hard to keep it completely dry. I did a search on the subject(lots of good reading by the way) and got all kinds of conflicting opinions, I think we all know its the cold bike meeting the warm air, the other day it was so bad first time I noticed my truck sweating too. Good luck
Tenn, I live just Southeast of you so you know what I mean. It really sucks when it condenses right after you wax it.

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
Tenn, I live just Southeast of you so you know what I mean. It really sucks when it condenses right after you wax it.
Damn skippy:thumbup: Im kinda slow and I couldnt figure out why I had this film all over my bike, then it dawned on me the dust on the bike was mixing with the condensation. :dontknow::dontknow:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Having something to park the ride on isn't going to help with the temp difference between it and the air around it. I do use a dehumidifier to keep the moisture down and use a small space heater to help.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have the same problem. I park mine on a piece of plywood with carpet over it and still get condensation on my bike. I have even tried putting the cover on just over the headlight windshield tank seat and bar still same thing. when the bike is cold and warm air hits it, it's going to sweat.

only way to stop this is to heat the garage. :dontknow:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Like Tom Bodett said "we'll leave the light on for you" .

Just leave the light turned on inside the detached garage and it wil warm the air and prevent or at least reduce the condensation. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My woodstove works great the bike stays about 85 degrees all winter and I never have that problem in the summer here :popcorn:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts