Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 vtx 1300 c live in south Florida with high humidity bike is put in a closed shed every night rain, rain and more rain then 90 to 96 during the day I keep a shop fan on her all the time and motorcycle cover on to keep of dust I went to go for my ride and have condition in the odometer not the speed ohmmeter. any suggestions on how to dry it out and keep from doing it again. I thank you very much for advice.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
You may have a sun burned odometer polarizing filter.
Common in the gulf states if it stays out a lot.
I put gloves over the speedo when parked in the sun.
We have info for the burned polarizing filter. Download the PDF in the link below.
The original thread>> Polarized filter on odo replacement

Another thread, the most recent>> Polarizing film for VTX odometer sunburn fix

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Another thing, is if you have it out of the rain in your shed and you cover it, try using a sheet instead of a waterproof cover. My bike sits all winter in my garage and I use a sheet to cover it for dust and protection from things falling on it. If you use a waterproof container moisture will build up under the cover and in the end cause more issues. Dew will build up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2004 vtx 1300 c live in south Florida with high humidity bike is put in a closed shed every night rain, rain and more rain then 90 to 96 during the day I keep a shop fan on her all the time and motorcycle cover on to keep of dust I went to go for my ride and have condition in the odometer not the speed ohmmeter. any suggestions on how to dry it out and keep from doing it again. I thank you very much for advice.
Well it has been awhile since I had mine apart ,so I will give it my best shot. Remove the speedometer cluster from the tank mount. There will be one wire harness with two plug connectors connected two the cluster. I do not remember if you can remove the complete harness from the mother board on the backside of the cluster. I am going to say that you cannot. So flip over the cluster and wire harness,The face of the cluster is no facing down. Look for a crack in the plastic where the display for the odometer is. If there is I would use a latex caulk, or a thick enamel paint using a fine brush . If not on the back side check the front. The condensation maybe only showing up there because it is the lowest point in the cluster and the broken or cracked seal in the plastic is minute. Hope this helps.(y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts