Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In trying to do the research on what saddlebags to get for my 1800c I have been a little overwhelmed at the number of options. If anyone has some solid suggestions I would apprecaite it greatly. Here is what I like in a saddlebag:

1.Bigger is better for me I have never heard anyone complain about to much room in there bags therefore I would like the biggest bag that would not detour from the bikes looks

2. I like the Easy or Ghost brackets (I have the National Switchblade windshields and love the versatilaty.) thus I believe I will need to have a bag with a hardliner to get a better mount.

3. Cost is some of an issue but willing to concede for a good fit & quality.

4. And finally I would like the bags to compliment the bike and it's dynamics.
I have seen some that look very nice and some not so nice.

My apprehension is linked to the fact that like most of this aftermarket stuff we put on, you bought it an it's yours baby!

Disclaimer: I have been searching on the board and will contunue to do so until I have exhausted that function Thank you for your consideration!

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
My Baby Daddy said:
In trying to do the research on what saddlebags to get for my 1800c I have been a little overwhelmed at the number of options. If anyone has some solid suggestions I would apprecaite it greatly. Here is what I like in a saddlebag:

1.Bigger is better for me I have never heard anyone complain about to much room in there bags therefore I would like the biggest bag that would not detour from the bikes looks

2. I like the Easy or Ghost brackets (I have the National Switchblade windshields and love the versatilaty.) thus I believe I will need to have a bag with a hardliner to get a better mount.

3. Cost is some of an issue but willing to concede for a good fit & quality.

4. And finally I would like the bags to compliment the bike and it's dynamics.
I have seen some that look very nice and some not so nice.

My apprehension is linked to the fact that like most of this aftermarket stuff we put on, you bought it an it's yours baby!

Disclaimer: I have been searching on the board and will contunue to do so until I have exhausted that function Thank you for your consideration!
The quality of Willie & Max bags is top notch...I ran a set for about 2 years before I switched over to the "hard" style in the Leatherlykes which I've now had on the scooter for the past 2.5 years. This looks like an interesting set for a C.A. red C model...
and at $172.50, not a bad price at all for a decent sized bag. JMHO. In my sig pic below, I was then running the W&M Grey Thunders. I'll fling one up of today's for comparison.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that super reply! I happen to have a W & M sissy bar bag that I like very much(nice quality). They also have the plastic inner, just curious why the switch and are your current ones (leatherlykes) worth the difference in money$ I have read both pos & negs about them. Headed for a route 66 trip want to do it right.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have the Boss Bags size 36 Slants on my 03 C model and I am extremely happy with them. Yeah, they are pricey but, seeing a guy stand on them mounted on a bike really sold me. Plus, the mounting is almost invisible when you want to run without the bags. I have ridden in torential downpours and not had and water leak in them. I will post a couple of pics for you.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey those look real good and your right they are pricey! I guess good things don't come cheap after all. Thanks for the pics I always vist the Boss booth when I can, they make it right. Now I have to talk to my wallet to see it if buys it. :lol: One other question do you know if the X will take a 42 boss by measure?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
My Baby Daddy said:
Hey those look real good and your right they are pricey! I guess good things don't come cheap after all. Thanks for the pics I always vist the Boss booth when I can, they make it right. Now I have to talk to my wallet to see it if buys it. :lol: One other question do you know if the X will take a 42 boss by measure?
Yes, the size 42 will work as well but, I think the 36's look better on the C model and they hold a ton of "stuff".
I can pack a couple of days worth of clothes in one bag and rain gear(Frogg Toggs) and bike cover in the other and still have a little room left over.
Someone on the board had a set for sale but, I don't remember what size and whether or not they sold them yet. I think they were asking like $600 for them.
Make sure when and if you buy you tell whomever is taking the order what pipes you have and if you have a backrest or luggage rack. They will make sure you get the correct mounting nipples.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have the same willie and max bags that POGOGOLF posted (the black and grey ones) and just got the easy brackets for them. They sagged a little even with the plastic liners, so I got a thin peice of lauan from home depot and cut it to fit in the bags. I am very happy with the set-up now. Just thought I'd throw that out there. It's a cheap way to go and they hold a lot of stuff, and with the easy brackets, they are very convenient. I also think they look pretty good.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was trying to get a particular saddlebag company to allow me represent them in my area and did a spreadsheet analysis of many different bags. They never bothered to even contact me. If you would like to see it (it has all the links) pm me. You will need Excel to open it....

·
Registered
271 Posts
www.ccsaddlebags.com

I bought a set for my vtx and they are great. Come with ghost brackets....easy off and look good when off. half the price of Boss bags and seem to be very good quality.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been researching saddlebags myself too. I'm leaning towards Tsukayu Hardbags personally. I haven't seen any leather saddlebags that are to my liking. Tsukayu makes the same box sytle with a leather cover. Anyone running these?

http://www.tsukayu.com

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think we all want something that will hold up and complement the bike,found these online that are specifically made for the VTX1800C has the mold for the shock. I do know that I want the biggest that I can get that will not impregnate the bike and that have strength. The price on this sounds too good. Also might say the heck with the ghost brackets and just leave'm on, it's only four bolts not the end of the world.

http://www.vikingbags.com/honda-vtx-sad ... -prd1.html

·
Registered
13,182 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Loading for travel

Take a look at my bike on frappr fotos at the top of the page, if you like the look, I will look up the details on my purchases. I wanted it to hold enough for a 7 day trip through the Smokies and Blue Ridge mountains. It worked fine washed clithes two times in 7 days wife and I.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What about National Cycle hardbags? I have seens them, they look nice, anobody have any personal expierence with them?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks I'll take a look but I did find what I wanted. It took alot of studying but it paid off. I'll post pics soon. My bags are the biggest you can get on a C model without relocating the rear turns. I also installled them with the easy brackets,works like a charm. I was concerned about making the bike look impregnated or out of symmetry. I have a National switchblade shield(two up & shorty) and love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bags

I'll agree that bigger is better, but not Easy Brackets. I had them and only took them off when I was cleaning the bike. A nice bag liner to carry in at night is the way to go. Works great for me. One for me, one for the wife and a trunk bag for the jackets and rain gear. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
828 Posts
My Baby Daddy said:
Thanks I'll take a look but I did find what I wanted. It took alot of studying but it paid off. I'll post pics soon. My bags are the biggest you can get on a C model without relocating the rear turns. I also installled them with the easy brackets,works like a charm. I was concerned about making the bike look impregnated or out of symmetry. I have a National switchblade shield(two up & shorty) and love it.
What bags did you go with?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up with I think one of the biggest bags you can put on a C model without relocating rear turns! (Ha Ha :lol: )you could still slide a boloney string thru but they don't rub at all. I also absolutely love the easy brackets, I think the biggest problem on the easy mount stuff is the installation but I certainly know that everyones needs are different. My bike is the "C" so I can strip everything if needed and go into sport mode within seconds...(excluding the Honda Deluxe backrest which I will be modifying soon!) For me I like the versatility but usually stay in tour mode. Here is a pick of the bag and as soon as I can hope to have pics first break in weather.

Viking 23 x 13.5 x 8

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
My Baby Daddy said:
I ended up with I think one of the biggest bags you can put on a C model without relocating rear turns! (Ha Ha :lol: )you could still slide a boloney string thru but they don't rub at all. I also absolutely love the easy brackets, I think the biggest problem on the easy mount stuff is the installation but I certainly know that everyones needs are different. My bike is the "C" so I can strip everything if needed and go into sport mode within seconds...(excluding the Honda Deluxe backrest which I will be modifying soon!) For me I like the versatility but usually stay in tour mode. Here is a pick of the bag and as soon as I can hope to have pics first break in weather.

Viking 23 x 13.5 x 8

Do you like your bags? Do you have pics?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts