Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my ignorance,

My mufflers are connected by a flat black pipe about 1" in diameter.

What is the purpose of this? I live in California, is this for smog?

When I get new pipes will they have the same connection?

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
From my understanding in previous questions the connector is a "power port" of some sort that helps with torque.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Pardon my ignorance,

My mufflers are connected by a flat black pipe about 1" in diameter.

What is the purpose of this? I live in California, is this for smog?

When I get new pipes will they have the same connection?
I think it's for smog in all 50 states. The rear cylinder muffler has a Cat converter and It makes sense that some front gases need to be cleaned.
Not saying no on the torque crossover theory, just always saw it done on the headers not at the mufflers.

I think a few years ago Cobra had a set of pipes with a crossover port in the mufflers, seems like it wasn't a big seller.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
The "stealer" intially told me that the connecting pipe of the OEM exhaust was to even out the exhaust pulses, and maintain proper back pressure.

My HK 3" Big Straights don't have this crossover pipe. I was wondering myself. Does the OEM crossover pipe really make that much of a difference?

Kindest Regards,

-Will

·
Old Goat
26,226 Posts
+1 on the back pressure statement, I changed to k&n and cobra slipons and did not touch the a/f or carb, I really believe I lost a little in the change over, I changed back to stock air box and bike quit running lean, I intend to go back to the stock pipes or something similar as I miss the way my bike ran. good luck.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I believe the cross over has something to do with allowing the engine to breathe easier and adding some backpressure/torque. Also something to do with emissions..

My Cobra Speedster Longs have it, it's almost unnoticeable unless you're looking specifically for it..

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
The cross over, is more or less a balance tube to equal out the exhaust pressure.

* Equalize pulses for less backpressure and turbulence
* Help quiet system
* Reduces horsepower loss
* Enhances torque
What's a "Balance Tube"? Do I want one?IF YOU HAVE DUAL EXHAUST, AN "H" PIPE, OR BALANCE TUBE, can aid in reducing that resonance, or drone. The consensus is that they 1) reduce noise and 2) improve low-end torque. A common misconception is that exhaust gases freely pass back and forth between the two exhaust systems if a balance tube is employed. This is not so. In operation, this short pipe serves mainly as a plenum, or type of resonance chamber. This compliments the plenum found in the intake manifold where both cylinder banks are already "connected". The resulting dynamic feedback balances the sound waves which pulse throughout the intake and exhaust tracts when the intake and exhaust valves open and close. This improves scavenging, and results in a smoother running, and quieter engine. The underlying physics and dynamics of the relationships between intake runner length, exhaust tube diameter, and length, are deep, but in a nutshell, it works for you in good ways.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all who helped clarify things, I appreciate your time!

Carcass:thumbup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
The cross over, is more or less a balance tube to equal out the exhaust pressure.

* Equalize pulses for less backpressure and turbulence
* Help quiet system
* Reduces horsepower loss
* Enhances torque
What's a "Balance Tube"? Do I want one?IF YOU HAVE DUAL EXHAUST, AN "H" PIPE, OR BALANCE TUBE, can aid in reducing that resonance, or drone. The consensus is that they 1) reduce noise and 2) improve low-end torque. A common misconception is that exhaust gases freely pass back and forth between the two exhaust systems if a balance tube is employed. This is not so. In operation, this short pipe serves mainly as a plenum, or type of resonance chamber. This compliments the plenum found in the intake manifold where both cylinder banks are already "connected". The resulting dynamic feedback balances the sound waves which pulse throughout the intake and exhaust tracts when the intake and exhaust valves open and close. This improves scavenging, and results in a smoother running, and quieter engine. The underlying physics and dynamics of the relationships between intake runner length, exhaust tube diameter, and length, are deep, but in a nutshell, it works for you in good ways.
Yea! What he said:agree:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts