Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I was on my bike and I was sitting in the left turn lane at a stop light when a cop in one of those unmarked cars pulls up next to me. Well, no sooner had he come to a complete stop then he looked over at me and started rolling down his window. Instantly I thought he was going to say something about my pipes (HK Sideburners) being too loud. Well, I was pleasantly suprised when he asked me if my bike was a VTX 1800. I told him that it was and he said that it was a nice bike. I thanked him for the complement and then he made a gesture with his hand that resembled twisting the throttle...he actually wanted to hear the pipes so I obliged. Once the noise subsided he complemented my bike again and then the light turned green and away he went. That made my day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good to hear

Thanks VTX Cruiser, I'm not a cop but it is good that you took the time to tell about a good experience you had with a policeman. We all in the past have had good things like that happen, but most of us seldom talk about it. :)
John

G

·
0 Posts
Most excellent!

I think for the most part if we are a little sparing on the throttle in town they give us a break.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey vtx_cruiser...I know you...

I agree totally! I used to get a kick out of running from cops on bikes, many many times, once even in a car (got away too). I was a real rebel!
Then I got a job in a hospital where the local cops would always come to eat breakfast/lunch/dinner on their shifts. One night on the way to work one of them pulls me over...I thought instant ticket...it was one of the chew crew...he recognized me and told me to just t slow down and he let me go. That incident changed my outlook on cops completely. I have been stopped a few (I've slowed down w/in my cage) times since and even when I was sure I'd get a ticket, I would be able to escape it by being nice. Man these guys are allright! I have learned that they are people too...treat them w/respect and you'll get respect back. One of my friends is now a cop.
I've aged some and that helps, I believe we all go through our stages. I'm just glad I wasn't killed on one of my "runs"...now I always pull over. My driving is vastly better too...once in a while I get on it on my "X", but its always controlled and out of the ears of the cops.

Thanks for helping me relive some of my wild times (safely)

bigjim56

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm a cop, and human too. I pull along side VTX's all the time and ask them if they know about this site. Some do, some don't. I see anyone messing with motorcyle riders, cutting them off, pulling out in front in a dangerous manner, etc., I do something about it. So the next time you see somebody doing things like that out there, and say to yourself, I wish I was a cop, I'd do something about that, know that we're out there making your wish come true. Ride safe all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That's a good story. It would have been even better if the cop gave you a ticket for the noise after you gunned the throttle.

I always like to hear 'good cop' stories.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: hey vtx_cruiser...I know you...

bigjim56 said:
I agree totally! I used to get a kick out of running from cops on bikes, many many times, once even in a car (got away too). I was a real rebel!

WTF! Is that a joke? I have no respect for people who run from cops.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
RJRpig said:
I'm a cop, and human too. I pull along side VTX's all the time and ask them if they know about this site. Some do, some don't. I see anyone messing with motorcyle riders, cutting them off, pulling out in front in a dangerous manner, etc., I do something about it. So the next time you see somebody doing things like that out there, and say to yourself, I wish I was a cop, I'd do something about that, know that we're out there making your wish come true. Ride safe all.
That's very commendable, and most appreciated. 8) Unfortunately, there are not more out there doing what you do, I know it's a tough job, and you cant be everywhere. Seems there's never one when you need one, and a dozen when you dont. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I have never had any trouble with the cops. Well, I have had trouble , but I deserved every ticket I got. They either let me go or reduced the ticket every time I have been pulled over and trust me it's been a lot of times. I figure they are doing their job and if I break the law why should it be anyones fault but my own??

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
VTXnVa said:
RJRpig said:
That's very commendable, and most appreciated. 8) Unfortunately, there are not more out there doing what you do, I know it's a tough job, and you cant be everywhere. Seems there's never one when you need one, and a dozen when you dont. :wink: :lol:
Just to clarify....
"never one when you need one" = someone else breaking the law
"a dozen when you don't" = you are breaking the law
Is that about right?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
black hills said:
VTXnVa said:
RJRpig said:
Just to clarify....
Is that about right?
Of course! :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
VTXnVa said:
black hills said:
VTXnVa said:
RJRpig said:
Just to clarify....
Is that about right?
Of course! :wink: :lol:
I seem to have that problem too. Although I did get pulled over in deadwood during the rally and the guy started asking me about the X because he was looking at buying one. by the time I was done telling him how great it is he just told me to be more carefull and let me go.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Re: hey vtx_cruiser...I know you...

Square Bill said:
bigjim56 said:

WTF! Is that a joke? I have no respect for people who run from cops.
Ah c'mon bigjim..SquareBill is certainly not the only one who's done that. No joke. I have 2 times on a bike and 1 time in a Honda Accord. Of course thats not somehting I'm doing now and I presume SquareBill too. I'm sure you're not innocent of having done despicable things too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That reminds me…when I was 16 I passed a cop going the other way, I looked back to see him turning around to come after me. I was in a 67 Chevy truck, six cylinder, so I just took the first right I came to. I went down to the end of the street, turned left and came out on the side of a hill behind a billboard. I just turned off my lights and watched the main road for him to go by sure that he didn’t see me turn off. Well I waited and waited and he never went by. I turned and looked behind me, and he had cut off his lights and pulled up right behind me and was just sitting there! I think back now, he was probably laughing his a$$ off at me. Well, I just flipped my lights back on and drove slowly through town making sure not to go over the speed limit because he stayed behind me all the way. When we got near the police station he just turned off. Man what a relief that was. LOL :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
You got it reversed Riffster, and maybe I'm way too square, but out here in Hollyweird, people end up dead during high speed chases. I'm all for the outlaw-thing, but when the jig is up, go peaceful like and don't drag in any innocent bystanders. That's my opinion anyway.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Square Bill said:
You got it reversed Riffster, and maybe I'm way too square, but out here in Hollyweird, people end up dead during high speed chases. I'm all for the outlaw-thing, but when the jig is up, go peaceful like and don't drag in any innocent bystanders. That's my opinion anyway.
Like everything there are different degree's of "running" If I see a police car turn around I will take a turn or 2 and maybe speed up a bit to see if I can't happen to lose them. But, once they get close enough that it is obvious they are after me I will pull over. Is that considered trying to outrun them or not?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My plans are to be a cop next year after I finish my degree in Police studies at EKU. Im getting tired of waiting though. Im only 19 so I have no choice since I dont turn 21 until next June.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts