Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with either of these products? How good are they? Would you recommend one for a two day trip in 100 degree weather? Are they worth the money?

I'm leaving for Colorado, from Washington, in a couple weeks. I'll be in Colorado visiting relatives until Sturgis begins then returning to Washington via Sturgis. This is a trip through mostly desert country and I don't want to burn up.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I just squirt myself with a water hose at each gas stop. Works great, sort of a temporary a/c unit at 80mph. My guess would be that the vests and such would hold water longer, but they also make the frozen vests too. You can find them along with everthing else on...ebay :lol: . Best of luck either way.

·
Registered
695 Posts
x

I bought one at the Honda hoot in 2005 and retutned it the same day. Very heavy and I sweated more with it on. Wet T-shirt the way to go :D

Steve VTXED

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am testing a vest now. I am thinking about becoming a distributor and have been using it to see if it works. It recharges to about 50 degreees and lasted for 5 hours in the Houston heat and humidity. I felt cool and comfortable with it on, but do get condensation on my shirt. It can be recharged in an ice chest in 20 min. If I decide to sell them they will sell for about $150.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I tested one on my trip from FL to TN. It kept me cool all day even in the high heat and humidity of Alabama. One wetting will last quite a while. The first day, I rode with it over a t-shirt without my leather vest. Very comfortable. The second day, I rode with it over my t-shirt and under my leather vest. I actually think it worked better under the leather, but my vest did get damp. On my way home, I left earlier in the day and it was a little cooler temperature wise. By then it was dry, so I wore it under my vest again and it helped keep me warm. The outside of it is wet, but the inside stays dry. You might get your shirt wet at the collar and around your shoulders.

Some friends of mine who live in low humidity/high temp climates say that it will dry out in about 4 hours. They are easy to re-wet, just about 2 minutes under a faucet and roll out excess water and you are good to go again. They do not get puffed up when wet, just a bit heavier.

I only paid $30.00 for mine and I would recommend it especially on longer trips. I keep it in a zip lock bag in my saddle bags, but I let it dry out completely once I reach my destination.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
We both use techniche cooling vests. They worik great as long as the humidity isn't at 90%. They really make riding much more of a pleasure even up to 105. We carry along an ice chest to recharege them in and do so at gas stops. We wear andiamo wicking t-shirts underneath and the combination keeps us cool and dry.

Jack

·
Registered
41 Posts
The vest we are testing know works great for high humidity. You do get a little damp but stay cool. I rode for 4 hours Sunday, Temp. mid 90's and humidity high 90's.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The vest we are testing know works great for high humidity. You do get a little damp but stay cool. I rode for 4 hours Sunday, Temp. mid 90's and humidity high 90's.

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
My vest works very well in high humidity, including rain. I had my rain suit on and it kept me cooler than usual for wearing a rain suit.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I just stop at a gas station take off my shirt and socks-- then soak em. Also run water in my shoes, and sometimes even wet the inside of the helmet-- works for me.-- Water is free-- Can't imagine that some $100 vest can do any better. :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts