Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a question for our nothern section of the group. what do you wear in cold weather chap or what??

sevans :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
103 Posts
sevans said:
This is a question for our nothern section of the group. what do you wear in cold weather chap or what??

sevans :?: :?: :?:
I rode all winter last year. Two Pair of socks, thermal top and bottoms, a mock turtle neck, sweat shirt, pull-over, and heavy leather jacket. For days in the 40's, just jeans over the thermals but any colder I'd wear chaps or Charharts and lined gloves. The most important thing that I added this year that I didn't have last year is a Memphis Fats shield. The coldest I rode last year was 18 degrees but it was only about 10 miles. :p

·
Registered
736 Posts
Don't usually ride in below Freezing, but close. I wear longjohns under heavy leather pants. On top, a good thermal turtle neck, my elecrtic vest, another thermal shirt, leather vest, heavy leather jacket, I bring a windbreaker large enough to fit over the leather jacket if I get too cool.
2 pairs of socks under Dayton boots,
Gloves are important, heated grips would be nice, but I wear a thinsulite pair of leather gloves under a pair of large leather guantlet gloves.
I run open face with a large windsheild and carry a face/neck cover in case I'm too cold.
If you lack gear and funds, You can purchase a full lenth windbreaker/rainsuit for a reasonable price and they are very effective.
Best way is to get out there and see how cold or hot you get.
Enjoy the Winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Winter riding

I have the Gerbing heated liner jacket with gloves. Best ever winter ride.
I have driven in 16 degree weather on the highways going around 70mph.
very comfortable, almost like riding in July.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I ride anywhere from 35 degrees on up. Today it was 42 wore long johns with chaps and leather jacket,with a turtle neck and lined gloves. The wind chill was in the 20's and I stayed warm. I live in southwest Ohio.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Cold Weather Gear

My coldest ride was 40 miles in 20 degree weather.
Snowmobile Helmet
"Cold Wave" Goretex Coat
Long Underwear and Leather Chaps - WARNING Think for a second about what part of your body a pair of chaps doesn't cover!!! That was a reallity check for damn sure!!! :oops:
Double Insulated Goretex Gloves
Normal Riding Boots
A Leather Neck Protector is a must if you don't have a windsheild.

It was a bit cold but it was worth every minute. Keep smiling!!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
sevans,

Since we're in similar areas, thought I'd jump in here.

Leather jacket and jeans with long underwear was all I went with last year. But Saturday I bought a pair of flannel-lined jeans and they're awesome. Leather jacket and those pants, heavy socks...that's it. I have a balaclava and a snowmobile suit that I wore one day last year.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I try to ride to work every day, some mornings lately been down around 25. Got a 45mi commute each way to work. Most important thing is to block the wind, get a w/s for the cooler weather, then when weather gets warmer, pull it off if you choose. My normal clothing for colder weather includes; Shoei full face helmet, shellaclava, Tourmaster Cortech jacket and overpants (these are GREAT), usually a light windbreaker under the jacket, good socks, good boots (Justin work boots), and Widder lectric gloves. Sounds like a lot, but it really isnt, and I stay very comfortable. I'm a BIG believer in the lectric gloves! :D :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bam Bam, sevans could always wear

that exclusive body cover that CanadianRider uses,(Trashbag) and the price is right.... LOL :lol: :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
cold weather riding

I've ridden in temps in the mid 20's with the Joe Rocket 4.0 coat and pants, and I have to say it has been the best investment I've made. Not as sharp as my Hein Gericke leathers but much better at keeping your @ss warm. IMHO
Ride Safe,
capt42a
:mcrider:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Days like today 20 degrees, snow, roads are too slippery to ride on. Yet when it gets below 35, I wear a full face Helmet, balaclava, thermal shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, leather jacket, lined jeans, chaps, donner boots, with 600 grain thinsulate, and the two most important things are a full windsheild, and a set of neoprene gloves. (my hands actually will sweat allittle in these) and I wear my cold face >>> :x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts