Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know which direction the coolant flows on the 1800?

I recently installed a fairing and I am considering installing an electric temp gauge in the fairing. I plan to install an adapter for the gauge in one of the hoses running to the radiator. I want to put it in the hose that the coolant flows from the engine to the radiator to get the reading when the coolant is at its hottest, before being cooled.

I assume the coolant flows from the bottom of the radiator to the top like most automobiles but I want to confirm this.

Another thought would be to tap into the ECT sensor wire to get the signal for the gauge but without knowing the OHM sweep for the sensor finding the correct gauge that will work may be difficult.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
64,214 Posts
Nope, coolant goes into the top of the rad and comes out the bottom according to my 2002-2004 service manual

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Spike, guess it's time to get a manual.

·
Registered
465 Posts
The main flow of coolant goes from the motor through the T-stat when open, to the top of the rad. down to the bottom rad hose and into the water pump and back to motor. Your gauge sensor will work best in between motor and t-stat, like the factory sensor. If you put it in the top rad hose, you'll get a false reading with the t-stat closed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good point. I had not considered which side of the thermostat to put the sensor in.

Thanks 369!

·
Registered
2 Posts
temp gage

i have installed gages in to my 2003 vtx c model and my sons 2003 vtx r model i cut the hose from the thermostat to water pump and installed a brass 1/2 t fitting had to run a ground wire from fitting to the frame ,gage is 1 1/2 inch car it work very well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts