Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!! I have a 2004 vtx1300r without a manual...... There is not any coolant in the overflow bottle and the fan doesn't come on..... The temp. light doesn't come on..... All seems to be ok with the operations of the bike..... What do I need to check??? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Get some coolent in it for starters, if it's cold fill to the bottom line on the coolant resevoir. Then at that point if it's running good with no issues you should be set

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Get some coolent in it for starters, if it's cold fill to the bottom line on the coolant resevoir. Then at that point if it's running good with no issues you should be set
Double check you don't have a crack in the bottle. remember they are made of plastic and with age can develop a crack or even break. Just fill it to the fill mark and drive.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Run the bike at idle until one of two things happen, the fan comes on, or the high temp. light comes on. It could take up to a half hour, depending on air temp. You should do this at least once a year to make sure your fan is still working. My fan only comes on when it is very warm out, and I'm sitting in traffic. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
After you get some coolant in it, keep an eye on the ground for any leaks. The connections at the bottle are pretty cheesy, and as stated above, the bottle can crack. Also check your hoses, expecially the ones between the cylinders for leakage. The drain is located under the left rear chrome engine cover, if you suspect it's coming from under there. I agree with VTX13Rider...after you get her sauced up, let her set a spell, and get warm. You should get the fan coming on before the temp light. If not, you may have air in the system, requiring a burping, or more in depth problems. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

BTW, welcome to the board!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts