Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the dealer yesterday to pick up a part and got to talking to one of the mechanics about the coolant level on my 1300S. I filled the resevoir back in February and had to fill it up again yesterday. He claims that these motors will go through about 1 quart of antifreeze in a year due to evaporation.

This seems a little much. I have never seen any puddles on or around the bike, nor do I ever smell any antifreeze.

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
Postal Trucker said:
Stopped by the dealer yesterday to pick up a part and got to talking to one of the mechanics about the coolant level on my 1300S. I filled the resevoir back in February and had to fill it up again yesterday. He claims that these motors will go through about 1 quart of antifreeze in a year due to evaporation.

This seems a little much. I have never seen any puddles on or around the bike, nor do I ever smell any antifreeze.
I call BS. I service a lot of these bike at my house and have yet to see evaporation. In over 2 years I never once added to my personal bike or any of my customers. If your adding that much coolant you need to check your water pump and tighten all the clamps you can find :wink: Also, if you have anywhere over 16K I suggest you flush and refill with fresh coolant/antifreeze :wink:

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
Highly second the tightening of all clamps. When I got mine 1300c new it was leaking coolant alot...all the clamps were loose. All of them.....grrr...I swear lazy guys doing the prep.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I did notice a couple of clamps on the lower left side were slightly loose. But I did not see any sign of leaking. Will have to take a closer look with the tank off and also tighten all clamps.

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
Postal Trucker said:
Thanks for the info. I did notice a couple of clamps on the lower left side were slightly loose. But I did not see any sign of leaking. Will have to take a closer look with the tank off and also tighten all clamps.
I never saw an actual leak, just dried coolant around the clamps. I noticed the loss since the bottle was empty once, that's when I found all the clamps loose.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
might also check the resevoir itself. its been known to crack at the seam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts