Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
How hard is changing the coolant? I've seen videos where some people just prop the tank and run a line from a funnel to it. I was thinking I might want to do it before Stugis but we are leaving in a few days so I don't want to screw anything up.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
It is not overly hard. Probably the hardest part is burping the system with the tank propped up and cleaning up the mess of coolant from draining it lol have you ever changed it?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't but it's not recommended until 25k and I just hit that recently. Nann's is at 40k but we don't know if the guy before her did. Think I am going to hold off until after, just to be safe and not screw anything up.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
If I am going to do maintenance before a trip I like to do it several weeks, or a few hundred miles before the trip so that any "mistake" shows up before show time. Tires, fluids, brakes......etc. Its not hard to do at all and a funnel and hose would be fine, just get some miles in before the trip...imho

·
Registered
996 Posts
Bob,
For my pre-check before loading the bike p tonight, I ran thru each bolt/nut and made sure they were tight. Then kept the wrenches (about 10 of them) in a pouch that I bring to Sturgis with. I made sure all my fluids were topped off (including the coolant reservoir) and the tires were aired up. Added a sissy bar bag to keep any of the "day trip" stuff we need (rain suits, sweatshirts, water, sunscreen, etc...). Like others have indicated, do not do anything major without being able to ride a few hundred miles to make sure everything is good

Have a safe trip. I heard a storm rolled thru today. Lots of rain and hail. That seems to be the norm...:cry:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah that is what I decided I'm holding off until after. I changed the oil, checked the tires, lubed a few moving parts. I think you are on the road now so drive safe. Look for me when you are out there, I'll be the one on the black bike. :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Bob,
Not sure if you are back or not. I drove home yesterday. Heck of a rain storm Monday night but the rest of the days were really nice for the rides. I got my fill for the next 4-5 years...:roll:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Just a few pics on my phone. Wife has all the pictures on her camera.

Truck loaded down for the trip.
Truck.jpg
Setup at Glenco campground.
Camping in Sturgis.jpg
One of the many items at Full Throttle.
FTS.jpg

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aww man you guys had trees, we didn't have trees. We got back late Tuesday night, cleaned up and deposited the camper yesterday and just sat inside in the AC for the rest of the day. IT was a blast though. Did the ride to Custer, Needles, Spearfish, and also out to Devils Tower. Put 500 miles on the bikes in three days of riding (did downtown on the 4th). Then 1200 miles round trip in the truck that's 1700 on my butt, that is enough for me for a couple of years as well. Although next month we are going to Michigan for a 5 day trip.
11811324_10204608839801001_6551044403724242597_n.jpg
11231853_10204608856521419_7078874185110362436_n.jpg
11218762_10204608858401466_976355433856990403_n.jpg

·
Registered
996 Posts
Bob,
I'm lucky because I "tag along" with a group that goes out yearly. They get there early and always have a spot with trees of some sort. For the rides, we did Cluster, Needles, Spearfish along with a ton of back roads that I have no idea the name...:dontknow: But we always found a nice place to stop for food. Normally had around 150 miles per day (wed-sun). On Monday, we watched the hill climb in the morning and then took a cab to/from downtown. Had fun watching all the people from the different bars and did some shopping at the vendors. I drove 212 on the way out and back home so I was not pushing the truck over 70mph and had plenty of gas stations (averaged 7.3mpg....:yikes:). Looking forward to some quiet time at home this weekend.

Take care...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah we did the 212 thing as well. No real traffic going or coming, just slowing down for towns. We averaged about 8 or 9 mpg as well. Glad you had fun, I know we did!

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Do they allow you to use the quads in the campground out there? We had pocket bikes to get around on the year I went...and stayed at hog heaven

·
Registered
996 Posts
Rob,
At Glenco, they allowed everything. We brought a quad with us but I saw everything from custom built gas trimmer skateboard to a custom built swamp buggy (with 10 foot hydraulic lift kit...). There were many side by sides and golf carts as well small trailers with chairs/tables.

With the quad in the bed of my truck and the two bikes in the garage of the trailer, I was really pushing limit of my truck. I did a "sample" weight check in So. St. Paul the week before we left and I was sitting at 8,000 for the truck and 8,300 for the trailer. We loaded more stuff in there when we actually went, so I know was getting close to the 9,000 truck limit and 9,600 trailer limit. But we did not have any break downs, so all was good...:doorag:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Bob,
8-9 mpg would have been nice. But the cost of gas was really not that bad. It was the 4 stops on the way out and again on the way back that stunk. Seemed it was a 15-20 minute stop each time with people going to the bathroom and/or purchasing pop/candy bars/etc...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steve, yeah we had the same thing. Someone seemed to need a bio break every 90 minutes. Then all the smokers had to have their smokes, someone would run in at the last minute to get a snack, yada, yada, yada...

I thought I saw something saying no quads at our campgrounds. I don't remember seeing any. A lot of carts and buggys though.

·
Registered
996 Posts
So where are the good pics from Glencoe :D
Been fighting a cold all this week, so I have not spent much time at home looking over the pictures. I will this weekend and find some that are appropriate for the site. I have plenty that can't post...:yikes:

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
My wife has a wicked cold right now too =( seems to be going around!! Hope you feel better soon!!

·
Registered
996 Posts
I know mine was brought on with lack of sleep, tons of drinking and being around 100,000's of strangers for about a week. I could feel the cold coming on the last day in Sturgis. Now that I'm home, I think my body said F*** IT and just shutdown. At least the weekend is almost here.

I hope Kelly feels better...:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts