Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's,
I just wanted to let you know that I had a recent experience with putting the wrong coolant in my bike, the coolant used was Castrol Anti-freeze Anti-boil and was recomended to me by my dealer, after reading the posts warning against using coolant with silicates [due to water pump damage] I checked with Castrol and they said this coolant does indeed use silicates and recomended using something else.
My Bike has since been completely flushed and filled with silicate free coolant.
I just thought I should warn anyone using the Castrol, as even the Honda literature I saw at the dealer warned against coolant with silicates.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks mate - I'll check mine. :)

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Pop over to the VTX1800 site
Scroll up to the top
Click on the search type anti freeze
or coolant.

Bottom line stay with the Honda product a bit pricey but the very best
choice.

While you are there say hello

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately after waiting for a week, I found out that Honda Aust doesn't carry the coolant for the VTX1800, thats why I went with Sylkolene Pro Cool.
I agree, if I could have bought the Honda stuff, I would have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
coolant I HADE AFAULY WATER PUMP i month out of waranty

honda didnt help, it was at 16000 km
so i changed it myself and now use the red coolant that all toyota vehicles use
and i have aspare pump
the job took 2hrs all up and i didnt remove the tank

·
Registered
346 Posts
The many choices that we have for coolant are vast. However, trying to find what is and what isn't loaded with silicates is a daunting task.

I just keep a few extra quarts of the Honda stuff in the garage and don't think about it any more.

When you are trying to get your free shipping from HDL when you are below a $100 bucks, get yourself some coolant for the shelf.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
stay with the Honda product :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts