Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can access the coolant resevour by removing the speedo or do I have to take the tank completely off? Really not looking foward to replacing the coolant, seems beyond my skill level

·
Ya-Hoo #4
988 Posts
If You are going to replace all antifreeze then Yes the Caps under the Tank. If You are going to just add to the Resivour then it's behind the left side cover.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, thankyou. Was hoping to take a shortcut and just remove the speedo to replace but guess i'll have to bite the bullet :) Is it as difficult as I'm making it out to be? any pointers?

·
Old Goat
25,495 Posts
If you dont have a manual you need to get one, with it and this forum there is nothing that you cant get done. Check the how to section on coolant change. I use engine ice. read below from a most respected member of the forum.Its and easy job, good luck

I have used both Engine Ice and Honda in customer bikes. The Engine Ice is more expensive but doesn't leave a crusty build up under the cap. You would think for a silicate free coolant that it wouldn't do that but it does. I've had bikes come back after a year or 2 with the EI and no build up ;)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
okay, thankyou. Was hoping to take a shortcut and just remove the speedo to replace but guess i'll have to bite the bullet :) Is it as difficult as I'm making it out to be? any pointers?
First, once you get the tank off, pull the hose at the bottom front from the radiator (just need to pull the lower end) and let drain. Don't need to completely remove the hose..... If you can get to it (my stebel horn is in the way) take your resevoir holding tank off, empty and clean it.... Might be a real PITA though with the hoses..... If not you can always siphon it out. And then just refill your raditor back with new clean fluid (after you reattach the bottom hose). Like TENN said though, get ya a book and you are already on the forum so you got it licked man.... Just got to get greasy now:lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts