Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 2004 new 1300S yesterday.

When I got it the dealer wrench went over it with me and told me some things that were counter to most of what I've learned here and from the owner's manual.

I would like to here from you guys about what you think on this.

First he told me to only run 91 octane gas. The MOM says anything over 86 and everthing I've read here says 87.

The second was he told me not to use synthetic oil when I change it. I had planned on going right to Amsoil when I do the first change. He says that the synthetics will screw up the wet clutches. I think he may not be familiar with Amsoils products but would like to hear from you guys about it.

Thanks allot for all the stuff I've learned already from this place. I'll no doubt have more question as i gain knowledge or myths about this beautiful machine.

Bill

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I've being using 87 octane gas since day one. 12K miles and the Bike runs great with no problems. Sometimes on very hot days it pings under load and then I use the 89 octane but never anything higher. Is just a waste of money. On oil I know must people that are using Syn have no problems with clutch or anything else I believe is the contrary bikes run better with syn.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've used 87 for 16,xxx miles and it's fine. With gas prices so high why use anything higher, plus the engine doesn't run enough compression to warrant anything higher.

On the wet clutch and synthetic oil, you need to run a synthetic that is NOT "Energy Conserving". These oils have molybdenum and other very slick additives that are great for cars because they have separate fluids for their transmissions. Since the VTX and most other cycles use the same oil for engine and transmission you need to use the ones that aren't "Energy Conserving".

Amsoil is a very popular one and you can support many of the board members here who sell it, visisue is one member that sells Amsoil.

Enjoy your new X!

roog

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
where did this guy learn about the X's? hes an idiot!
I ran the higher octane when i first got the bike, then after reading this forum, switched to 87. the bike ran so much better with the 87. have been using it and amsoil for over a year and never ever had a problem with clutch. no one else has either that i know about.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I did hear that you should let the engine break in before you switch to synthetic. And once you goto synthetic can you change back?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
the only reason for not putting in before breakin would be cost. use the cheap stuff to 600 miles, no sence throwing away money for amsiol for just 600 miles. after the 600 put it in!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
brihvac said:
I did hear that you should let the engine break in before you switch to synthetic. And once you goto synthetic can you change back?
Yes, you can change back if you decide you just really don't want syn (which I can't imagine).
I'm at 11k, and I've run syn for most of those miles.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Can you say Dealer wrench job security? He probably gets alot of repeat business repairing the same problem. :evil:

Since it's new, make sure you check the fluids, espectially the oil, to make sure they put enough in. My was over 2 quarts low upon delivery.

I agree with pepsX advice.
the only reason for not putting in before breakin would be cost. use the cheap stuff to 600 miles, no sence throwing away money for amsiol for just 600 miles. after the 600 put it in!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
He is as full of $hit as a Christmas turkey!

prs

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Just more nonsense passed through the dealer grapevine :lol:
As stated in the owners manual, use 87 octane. If it knocks on that (probably wont)...move up to 89.
Many members are running synthetic with no problems whatsoever. Just run the proper viscosity and be sure it doesn't say "Energy Conserving" in the round API symbol. I use Amsoil 10-40 because I like the convenience of sending a quick email to my contact and having it show up on my doorstep a few days later. 8)
Why would Honda's HP4 Synth blend be O.K? Would the synth half magically stay away from the clutch?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I think I'd find another dealer.

Eddie

·
Registered
252 Posts
At least this guy did allowed you to figure out he is not completley informed on subjects he claims to speak about before you let him do any work to your bike. My advice, talk to some people locally to see who they all trust and use if you plan on taking it to the dealer for any service.

Good Luck and welcome.

Craig

·
Registered
339 Posts
87 and amsoil

Have 37000+ and have used amsoil sence second oil change. Never a clutch prob. and I use the 87 gas.

·
Registered
246 Posts
synthetic oil and fuel octane

IMHO, MOST "DEALERS" DON'T KNOW TOO MUCH. IN FACT THEY ALL SEEM TO KNOW DIFFERENT STUFF DEPENDING ON.....I DON'T KNOW, THE WEATHER MAYBE! I RUN CASTROL V-TWIN SEMI SYNTHETIC WITH NO PROBLEMS (14K MILES). THERE WAS A POST ON THIS SITE AWHILE BACK TALKING OF A RACING CLUTCH THAT WAS COMPATABLE WITH MOLY CONTAINING OIL. SAID THE STOCK CLUTCH WOULD GO AT AROUND 15K MILES. THATS ALOT OF $ THOUGH. FROM WHAT I'VE READ ON THIS FORUM, I WILL BE SWITCHING TO A MOBILE PRODUCT. GOT MOBILE 1 IN THE CAGE AND IT HAS 200K ON IT AND IT IS LIKE NEW. BY THE WAY, I RUN THE HIGHEST OCTANE AVAILABLE IN ALL MY VEHICLES. SLOWS THE EXPLOSION ANYWAY YOU LOOK AT IT. THE PENNIES SPENT ARE WELL WORTH THE PEACE OF MIND. DO THE MATH!

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Re: synthetic oil and fuel octane

mrsocks said:
I RUN THE HIGHEST OCTANE AVAILABLE IN ALL MY VEHICLES. SLOWS THE EXPLOSION ANYWAY YOU LOOK AT IT. THE PENNIES SPENT ARE WELL WORTH THE PEACE OF MIND. DO THE MATH!
Why do you want slow explosions?
Not trying to argue....just curious :wink:

Math
Average premium - 2.477
Average regular - 2.251
Difference - .226
>>>Click for Source<<<

I rode 18,000 miles last year @ 40 MPG = 450 gal x .226 = $101.70
I plan on riding as much this year too :D
I will save a hundred bucks by using what the manual recommends. :wink:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
What they said.

I went to buy new plugs for my bike and the guy (not a
newbie to the parts counter) didn't know the VTX's have two per cylinder. :?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Dealer Wrench

I watched the wrench service the fluilds when I bought my x 15 months ago. He added more oil after the dipstick read full. I ask him why. He said " so if I checked the oil when the bike was on a slope it would show full." I havn't been back.

·
Registered
286 Posts
http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... ght=amsoil

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

The best for last all summed up: http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action= ... artlang=en

Here's some good reading on the oil subject. The last link is the most informative, I think.

As far as gas goes, I wanted only the best for my X. I always put 93 in. I read a lot on this site and started using 87 oct. I noticed a markable increase in my MPG ... it improved!! I got probably an extra 2-6 MPG (yeah, I get on it from time to time around town) and have not gone back to the over-priced stuff since.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I use the 87, and didn't they put oil and a filter on these bikes at the factory :?:

·
Registered
286 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts