Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Corbin dual seat installed on my bike when I picked it up new about a month ago, The back rest was installed behind the rider until yesterday. I had to take the seat off to get the screw out of the bottom of the back rest shaft in order to switch it to the back behind the passenger. If you leave this screw off, it makes it easy and quick to change the backrest from rider to the passenger backrest position. My question is: Do others use this backrest without the screw in. Is there any chance the backrest could come out while riding as it only is stuck in the seat a couple or 3 inches. Also, my biggest question of all: When the back rest is behind the passenger, they can just lean back and the backrest leans very far back with them and offer little back support like it does for the rider when installed in the front. I love the seat. It looks great but for the the big bucks I gave for this seat you would think it would offer more support for the passenger and be easier to change from front to back.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I just have a sissy bar with a backrest. Don't know that I wouldn't trust that one you're talking about for a passenger.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My husband has a Corbin dual seat on his Mean Streak. He has been using it for 3 years and I rode on the passenger seat for 1 year. I had plenty of back support and we always used the screw in when I was using it because I did not want to take a chance of falling off if it did come out. My husband has never been able to use the back rest for the rider. He says it is too far back for any support. He is going to put a new post one it that has a curve on it so it will support his back. He loves the seat and would not trade it for anything.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Until I changed my backrest from the front to the back, I didn't realize that the slot at the back of the passenger's seat, where the back rest post is inserted, is at about a 45 degree angle (much more gradual than the front slot). After the back rest is installed in the back slot, the angle must be adjusted forward by pulling the back rest forward toward the front of the bike to get it more vertical. However, if the passenger leans back, the backrest goes back to it 45 degree angle and stays. Maybe I need to go back out there and take off the seat and re-install the screw on the bottom of the post before reinstalling the seat. If I do that, however, so much for being able to change from the front to back position quickly. It would mean the seat has to be taken off each time you wanted to change the back rest from front to back. It just seems for $750 they would have had a quick release mechanism built in the post someway.

G

·
0 Posts
Maybe i'm not understanding what your saying correctly. Have you set the backrest pad allen bolt for the desired angle that you want? And i would always use the lock bolt for it when in use.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Manster thanks! I just went back out there and I see there is another allen bolt adjustment on the backrest. I originally thought that there were not any adjustments for that and I knew that sooner or later that thing was going to lose some of the tension and offering no support for the back rider. Now, I can tighten it in the right position.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts