Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new to me 06 VTX 1300 Retro. New Tires. Both at 38-PSI. Before the new tires and steam bearings had the dreaded 40-50 mph tank slapping going on. Now its smooth but when slightly leaning left but mostly right I get the head shake again. Tire is new and balanced.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
108,104 6/17/11 Metzler ME880 frt tire 110/90-19 installed, I noticed steering shake in fall of 2011 when I let go of HB on decel.
Tank slapper. I got about 21k miles on it. Never let go until tire replaced.

New front tire and all was was well. Let go of HB on decel and no issues.

I had installed the taper bearings a few years earlier, some weird feeling on turns as if tire had a slight hex shape.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
After I ruled out the other known culprits...mine turned out to be the neck bearings...upon inspection all they need was retorquing...(part of required routine maintainance ) but since I was in there did the all balz.....good luck

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
steering head bearings
rear shock bushings ( all of them )
swing arm bushings.
front and or rear wheel bearings
OLD fork oil,, or a difference of level in each one.
a wheel out of TRUE, or Round.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You think the rear shocks bushings would cause corner wobble? The handle bars wobble in a corner so it feels like the front end.......... My bushings are worn out. Ordering some tonight. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
the tail does wag the dog..

2 wheels.... 4 wheels.. not the same animal...

Reactions: RBS

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My first motorcycle, a 1963 Caprillo, had a knob on the top of the steering stem that applied resistance to the bearings to combat the dreaded tank slapper. Some bikes had steering dampers for the same reason.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts