Honda VTX Forum banner

How many total die in the US from COVID-19?

• Less than 5,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100,000-250,000

• 250,000-500,000

• 500,000+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1081 - 1100 of 1192 Posts

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
As of 6/29, WHO lists a total of 5,280 C-19 deaths in Sweden (unchanged from the last two days). Multiplying by 32 to scale up to the size of the US yields 168,960 deaths. Per the same WHO reported numbers on 6/29, the US C-19 death toll is 125,318. This means the less intrusive Swedish approach to coronavirus mitigation has resulted in 35% greater deaths, based on just a nominal numerical comparison.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
As of 6/30, WHO lists a total of 5,310 C-19 deaths in Sweden. Multiplying by 32 to scale up to the size of the US yields 169,920 deaths. Per the same WHO reported numbers on 6/30, the US C-19 death toll is 126,203. This means the less intrusive Swedish approach to coronavirus mitigation has resulted in 35% greater deaths, based on just a nominal numerical comparison.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Today’s updated CDC numbers show a US total of 126,739 deaths from C-19 as of 6/29 at 4pm. Yesterday’s reported number was 126,369 total deaths from C-19, for a one day increase of 370 additional deaths. As of 4/28, the CDC daily report format changed and the breakdown of total deaths into categories of ‘confirmed’ and ‘probable’ is no longer clearly stated. It is reasonable to suspect that the ‘probable’ category continues to be roughly 10% or more of the reported total.

·
Registered
17,160 Posts
The New England Journal of Medicine admits masks in public are nothing more than a decoration and placebo.

We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
A voice of reason in the jungle. Thank YOU!

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
100,000-240,000 dead my ass. We won’t top 25,000 to 30,000.
The most recent accounting from the many competing death toll trackers (John Hopkins, CDC, World Health, etc) all put us solidly in the “optimistic projection range” of 100K to 240K that Dr Fauci forecast about 13 weeks ago. Like many other observers (including President Trump), I had hoped the warmer summer weather would be a big factor in reducing infectious spread, but that doesn’t appear to have happened.

As testing was increased, everyone understood that the coronavirus case count would increase. But regions seeing the percentage of virus-positive tests increasing at the same time as test expansion reveals that the given area is not making progress on mitigating this threat. For some reason, these obvious observations are treated as political issues rather than status assessments.

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
The most recent accounting from the many competing death toll trackers (John Hopkins, CDC, World Health, etc) all put us solidly in the “optimistic projection range” of 100K to 240K that Dr Fauci forecast about 13 weeks ago. Like many other observers (including President Trump), I had hoped the warmer summer weather would be a big factor in reducing infectious spread, but that doesn’t appear to have happened.

As testing was increased, everyone understood that the coronavirus case count would increase. But regions seeing the percentage of virus-positive tests increasing at the same time as test expansion reveals that the given area is not making progress on mitigating this threat. For some reason, these obvious observations are treated as political issues rather than status assessments.
Dud, do I have this right? It looks like the death rate and new infections rate in Sweden has dropped substantially. Yesterday they had 12 deaths. Extrapolated it's still a far cry from the 700+ US deaths. I wonder if the US might not catch up, statistically speaking. Just thinking out loud.

I got these numbers from Worldometer.

·
Registered
8,581 Posts

I am still suspicious of the entire affair for a couple of reasons:

1. The testing is increasing right now as are the positive case indications. Given the inability to test previously we are making the likely erroneous assumption that the increase in cases is due to the loosening of the restrictions. This is just pure conjecture right now. Without rigorous scientific standards all we have are two numbers: Total positives, Total Deaths. The cause of the two numbers could be do to any number of factors. I just do not see a rise in new cases as an issue on its own since it could just as likely be identifying previous patients as it is new infections.

2. Who determines cause of death? How about other vital statistics for the mortality rate of the virus? Age of decedent? Other health problems? Sorry, but no one handling this virus is above verification. Sure I trust them - show me the raw data to back your claims. Until they can prove to me every death attributed to Covid is both homogeneously spread among age and without complications I highly doubt the mortality rate is accurate.

3. Look at the spread of the deaths. In 1919 it killed uniformly (at the same rate no mater the locale). here, New York, California and Illinois make up the largest portion of deaths by far. They also happen to be among the most draconian of restrictions. I just cannot believe these are coincidence. If we look at states that were less draconian we do in fact see a correlation in vastly reduced mortality rates. In fact without those states the virus looks exactly like the flu.

Classic liberal approach here - find facts to support your position rather than see what position is supported by the facts.

·
Registered
17,160 Posts
I am still suspicious of the entire affair for a couple of reasons:

1. The testing is increasing right now as are the positive case indications. Given the inability to test previously we are making the likely erroneous assumption that the increase in cases is due to the loosening of the restrictions. This is just pure conjecture right now. Without rigorous scientific standards all we have are two numbers: Total positives, Total Deaths. The cause of the two numbers could be do to any number of factors. I just do not see a rise in new cases as an issue on its own since it could just as likely be identifying previous patients as it is new infections.

2. Who determines cause of death? How about other vital statistics for the mortality rate of the virus? Age of decedent? Other health problems? Sorry, but no one handling this virus is above verification. Sure I trust them - show me the raw data to back your claims. Until they can prove to me every death attributed to Covid is both homogeneously spread among age and without complications I highly doubt the mortality rate is accurate.

3. Look at the spread of the deaths. In 1919 it killed uniformly (at the same rate no mater the locale). here, New York, California and Illinois make up the largest portion of deaths by far. They also happen to be among the most draconian of restrictions. I just cannot believe these are coincidence. If we look at states that were less draconian we do in fact see a correlation in vastly reduced mortality rates. In fact without those states the virus looks exactly like the flu.

Classic liberal approach here - find facts to support your position rather than see what position is supported by the facts.
Yep! Whether it was a car wreck, drug overdose, hospice situation, etc, if the person tests positive for COVID, it's a 'COVID-related' death and goes into the stats? How can any critical-thinking person have any confidence in the numbers they're touting?

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Dud, do I have this right? It looks like the death rate and new infections rate in Sweden has dropped substantially. Yesterday they had 12 deaths. Extrapolated it's still a far cry from the 700+ US deaths. I wonder if the US might not catch up, statistically speaking. Just thinking out loud.

I got these numbers from Worldometer.
Yep, you are looking at it right. The mounting list of deaths in the US is closing the gap with Sweden.

When we look more closely at the demographics of who is being found positive now in the US, it’s shifting dramatically to younger people. So it could well be that the folks who are being counted now are similar to the untested but still positive people from 3 months ago, and the rising rates of infection will not translate into the kind of mortality rates that were initially observed. And so long as we don’t have any governors who forcibly convert their rest homes into Covid death wards (ala Cuomo), we could see deaths and hospitalizations decline even while total positive cases climb.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Today’s updated CDC numbers show a US total of 127,299 deaths from C-19 as of 6/30 at 4pm. Yesterday’s reported number was 126,739 total deaths from C-19, for a one day increase of 560 additional deaths. As of 4/28, the CDC daily report format changed and the breakdown of total deaths into categories of ‘confirmed’ and ‘probable’ is no longer clearly stated. It is reasonable to suspect that the ‘probable’ category continues to be roughly 10% or more of the reported total.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
As of 7/1, WHO lists a total of 5,333 C-19 deaths in Sweden. Multiplying by 32 to scale up to the size of the US yields 170,656 deaths. Per the same WHO reported numbers on 7/1, the US C-19 death toll is 126,573. This means the less intrusive Swedish approach to coronavirus mitigation has resulted in 35% greater deaths, based on just a nominal numerical comparison.

·
Registered
28,735 Posts

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I just sneezed twice. Forgot to take my Allegra this morning. OMG, I have COVID-19! I'm gonna DIE!!!!

1081 - 1100 of 1192 Posts