Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to put in a new jet kit this afternoon after work. In looking at it this morning, it seems to me that I'm going to have to remove the tank to get the air filter box off in order to reach the carb. Please tell me I'm wrong about the fuel tank. :?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Rejet

Yes, You will have to remove the tank.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nope, your not wrong. The airbox goes all the way to the backbone. So the tank has to come off. Also you need the clearance to work on the carb. It's not too hard a job the only hairy part is making sure you don't drop the screws, if you do they can get cought in the fins, in between the cylinder jugs, and many other places. Also if it does go all the way to the floor they can bounce all over the place making it a pain to find. Here's 3 words fr ya! Magnetic screw driver if you have one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
It is kind of a pain when you have to pull it severarl times, but for what a dealer will charge it is a small price to pay.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
If you can do the carb....you can remove the tank, its easy.
It helps to be low on gas (lighter) and also, have someone hold (or secure) your handlebars so they dont swing and ding your tank.

Otherwise, it's very easy. You're not going to get much maintenance done to your ride if you dont want to remove the tank. Carb, valves, coolant replacement, airbox all spring to mind.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was afraid of that! I'm not really worried about removing the tank. I'm just lazy. :D Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Friendly suggestion....When you put the tank back on, be sure you don't kink the small hose at the right rear corner. It's pretty easy to do, and will cause you problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts