Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my bike to the stealer today. He told me that Honda discontinued coating the wheel rheems two years ago. Corrosion should be washed out very easily according to him. I haven't tried yet. He also told me that the first service does not require valve adjustment. All according to Honda service schedule (per his interpretation I guess). The service will be $ 150 plus parts ($ 12.49).

·
Registered
464 Posts
How many miles on the bike on your first service?

·
Registered
740 Posts
The dealer IS required to inspect the valves, so maybe he meant that your bike didn't require any adjusting, and were at spec. I bought the Helm service manual ($65) and used the tips from this forum to do my own 600 mile inspection and fluid changes. My dealer wanted $350 for the 600 mile and said that I have to come back for a 1200 mile service inspection, that would cost me $150. I've worked on cars and jets for 30+ years now, and the motorcycle isn't that difficult. Just take your time, read the manual, and have the satisfaction knowing you did it yourself, and saved a ton of money. Just be sure to save all reciepts, and note in your manual what your findings were. ie. No valve adjustment needed, within specs. etc.
As far as the wheel rims go, I use Mothers polish on them, and havent noticed any corrosion problems. Then again I keep the bike in a garage, and if it gets wet I dry it off. (Its my baby :wink: )

·
Registered
464 Posts
The dealer is wrong. They have to service and check the valves. If they don't. I would call Honda!

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Juanchithebiker said:
Took my bike to the stealer today. He told me that Honda discontinued coating the wheel rheems two years ago. Corrosion should be washed out very easily according to him. I haven't tried yet. He also told me that the first service does not require valve adjustment. All according to Honda service schedule (per his interpretation I guess). The service will be $ 150 plus parts ($ 12.49).
Corrosion doesn't "wash off" dude. Mild oxidation can be polished off.

I never thought of a maintenance schedule being open to interpretation. Sounds like a $150.00 oil change to me.
http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action= ... artlang=en

·
Registered
740 Posts
Its in your owners manual in the tool box under the left hand side cover.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Corrosion

I started loosing air from my front tire ('04 C Model). Took it back to the dealer and was told that there was corrosion around the area where the bead meets the rim. They replaced the wheel under warranty. The mechanic told me that once corrosion starts, it's there for good.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Corrosion

swl2020 said:
I started loosing air from my front tire ('04 C Model). Took it back to the dealer and was told that there was corrosion around the area where the bead meets the rim. They replaced the wheel under warranty. The mechanic told me that once corrosion starts, it's there for good.
well, I have no answer to that. I will see if I can take it off and if not I guess I will have to follow your path.
By the way, your signature in latin remains me this one from my years at law school, "ubi lex non distinguit, nec noc distinguire debemus" ...take that now, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Pöi§ön said:
Juanchithebiker said:
Corrosion doesn't "wash off" dude. Mild oxidation can be polished off.

I never thought of a maintenance schedule being open to interpretation. Sounds like a $150.00 oil change to me.
http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action= ... artlang=en
I use Mothers aluminum/rim polish to remove any oxidation/corrosion.
Just keep the bike clean, and polish the rims when they start looking dull again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts