Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently trying to sell one of my motorcycles (a VStar 1100) so I can buy another used bike. With all the unemployment happening and going to happen due to Corvid-19 business slow/shut-downs, I'm guessing the price of used bikes should drop and the unemployed will be putting motorcycles up for sale. This good news for those lucky enough to still be secure in their jobs, and in the market for a used bike, but it's bad news for sellers if the market is strapped for cash and there is a glut of used bikes out there lowering the value of yours up for sale.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
You might be right Sir.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I am sure of it..
market for bikes were way down 6 months ago.. and NOW.. even lower.

·
Registered
594 Posts
My bikes just might be worth their weight in toilet paper though.
I noticed a guy the other day put his 2014 Harley CVO Touring model motorcycle for sale on facebook market place. Very nice, low miles. Chances are he'll never sell it with the state of the economy this virus is causing. People are more concerned about holding on to their money with the stock market collapsing.

·
Registered
939 Posts
All good points. Bikes are low on the necessity scale. But, I know bike sales go up when tax returns come in, so you never know what the corona stimulus will do to the market.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Virtually all toys are on deep discount if you have stayed at all liquid and may even get better (worse). Nothing happening to house prices yet but I'm sure there are tons of speculators waiting to capitalize on the unfortunate

·
Registered
594 Posts
Until we can get caught up in all of credit it will be a while unless somebody has a lot of cash stored up
Banks have closed their lobbies, only drive thru. You'll need to make an appointment to get inside to do a loan. The $1200 stimulus checks could be used toward buying a used motorcycle.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Banks have closed their lobbies, only drive thru. You'll need to make an appointment to get inside to do a loan. The $1200 stimulus checks could be used toward buying a used motorcycle.
I just sold a motorcycle (not my VTX) this weekend (03/28/20) walking into my Bank of America with $4,200.00 to deposit. I got more than expected for my 'OBO' offered bike, so I guess there's still some people with enough money to confidently spend on a 'luxury' item verses hording all cash due to worries.

I'm always looking at the local motorcycle ads (Craig's List and Cycle Trader) just to see what deals are out there and very recently I've see a big drop in ads on Cycle Trader. I'm guessing the dealers are closed so they're not spending money on ads??

Now that I have some cash to spend on another used bike, I'm wondering if I should hold off to see how low the prices drop and how many out of work bike owners put up their bikes for low cost to get fast, needed cash?

Strange times....

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
Virtually all toys are on deep discount if you have stayed at all liquid and may even get better (worse). Nothing happening to house prices yet but I'm sure there are tons of speculators waiting to capitalize on the unfortunate
Kinda sounds like you think speculators are a bad thing. But without some folks who are willing to “pick up a relative bargain”, just how much further would you want prices to fall? If a guy is in a squeeze and needs to sell during a downturn, which is worse - zero offers or significantly discounted offers?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Now that I have some cash to spend on another used bike, I'm wondering if I should hold off to see how low the prices drop and how many out of work bike owners put up their bikes for low cost to get fast, needed cash?

Strange times....
Take your time if your looking for another bike. Wait for the right deal. The motorcycle market is going to be hit hard by COVID-19. In hard times people sell there toys first at a discount. It's going to be a buyers market. On another note, us the owners of motorcycles, our bikes are falling in value because of bad times.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
short story, history.

1972 I purchased a new Honda CB750. $1,500 ...
sold it in 1976 for $1,950.. but then the gov-ment put a "FEE" on all bikes imported over 500cc...
to protect Harley.

some good reading.. of US motorcycle.. History,, with some cool photo's.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
short story, history.

1972 I purchased a new Honda CB750. $1,500 ...
sold it in 1976 for $1,950.. but then the gov-ment put a "FEE" on all bikes imported over 500cc...
to protect Harley.

I clearly remember the prices of Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawasaki jumping due to the 'Harley bailout fee' (NAFTA). Asian bikes I was considering buying moved right out of my price range. It soured me considerably towards buying any of the overpriced Harley's due to their lobbying to make things "fair" for them selling an overpriced, unreliable motorcycle (IMHO, by comparison).

It appears overall that NAFTA has benefited the economy but at what cost is controversial:

Economists generally agree that the United States economy benefited overall from NAFTA as it increased trade.[73][74] In a 2012 survey of the Initiative on Global Markets' Economic Experts Panel, 95% of the participants said that, on average, U.S. citizens benefited from NAFTA while none said that NAFTA hurt US citizens, on average.[5] A 2001 Journal of Economic Perspectives review found that NAFTA was a net benefit to the United States.[6] A 2015 study found that US welfare increased by 0.08% as a result of NAFTA tariff reductions, and that US intra-bloc trade increased by 41%.[54]

A 2014 study on the effects of NAFTA on US trade jobs and investment found that between 1993 and 2013, the US trade deficit with Mexico and Canada increased from $17.0 to $177.2 billion, displacing 851,700 US jobs.[75]

In 2015, the Congressional Research Service concluded that the "net overall effect of NAFTA on the US economy appears to have been relatively modest, primarily because trade with Canada and Mexico accounts for a small percentage of US GDP. However, there were worker and firm adjustment costs as the three countries adjusted to more open trade and investment among their economies." The report also estimated that NAFTA added $80 billion to the US economy since its implementation, equivalent to a 0.5% increase in US GDP.[76]

The US Chamber of Commerce credits NAFTA with increasing U.S. trade in goods and services with Canada and Mexico from $337 billion in 1993 to $1.2 trillion in 2011, while the AFL–CIO blames the agreement for sending 700,000 American manufacturing jobs to Mexico over that time.[77]

University of California, San Diego economics professor Gordon Hanson has said that NAFTA helped the US compete against China and therefore saved US jobs.[78][79] While some jobs were lost to Mexico as a result of NAFTA, considerably more would have been lost to China if not for NAFTA.[78][79]

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
Those of us with a more accurate memory will recognize the glaring mistakes above.

The tariffs placed on Japanese bikes to protect Harley happened in the early 80s under Reagan. And I believe the displacement threshold was 700cc, which drove many mfgs to shrink the bore a tad to change their 750s to a 699 cc.

NAFTA had nothing at all to do with this, since it didn’t come along for another decade. You might remember Ross Perot railing against the prospect of NAFTA during his election run in 1992 (Mexico is going to suck tens of thousands of jobs away from the US). Clinton won the election, and NAFTA was one of his “achievements”.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
a clip from my post..

Quality suffered at perhaps the worst time: 1969 was the year Honda went after the American heavyweight motorcycle market with its blockbuster CB750. Japanese manufacturers had already won 98 percent of the small-bike market with a slew of low-cost, high-quality models, and it didn’t take a financial visionary to guess what might happen now that Japanese manufacturers were producing larger machines.

end clip.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts