Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the rear has a directional arrow but I dont see one on the front rotor.

Ive got some brake drag on the front wheel, not bad but I wanted to verify this before I start messing with pads. Ive recently changed wheels.

Can someone check for me?

·
Super Moderator
63,882 Posts
They will drag a little, all hydraulic brakes on cars and bikes will drag some. If your wheel spins when raised on a jack it's fine(as long as the dragging is constant and not like a warped rotor "shhh-shhh-shhh" sound)
8)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks spike. I could hear it at slow speed in the neighborhood last night but I didnt have a helmet on either. I think its the first time its been in gear with out the helmet so I might not be used to the sound.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Traceman - did you set the front wheels before tightening the left pinch bolts for the final time?
Just finished doing this myself...new Avon on polished wheel :pepper1:

Install the axle and tighten the left pinch bolts (16#)
Install the axle bolt (43#)
Tighten right pinch bolts (16#)
Now, here is the trick:
Loosen the left pinch bolts and set the bike down. Pump the forks a few times with the front brake applied. With the engine off, (just push with your feet)... roll a little...apply brakes,...repeat.
This will align everything.
Now - tighten the left pinch bolts back up.

It is normal for the brakes to drag a little though.
I dont think the rotor can be backwards - the bolt heads sit down in recesses on the correct side. The other side of the rotor is flat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts