Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some help. At about 65 at a even speed it seems I'm running out of gas, I switch the petcock and the problem persists. I just had a rejet and a gas regulator from a 55 to a 60. Any ideas what would make it seem like it's running out of gas?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
I could use some help. At about 65 at a even speed it seems I'm running out of gas, I switch the petcock and the problem persists. I just had a rejet and a gas regulator from a 55 to a 60. Any ideas what would make it seem like it's running out of gas?

What type of air box and pipes do you have on it? What has been done to the carb? Did this just start or has it been going on for a while?

With that said I would start looking at the vacuum hoses and the intake rubber, maybe the petcock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of air box and pipes do you have on it? What has been done to the carb? Did this just start or has it been going on for a while?

With that said I would start looking at the vacuum hoses and the intake rubber, maybe the petcock.
I have the spyker mod cobra slip on aND cobra stage 1 jet kit. It just started. I recently moved to Florida so I had it rejetted now I'm in trouble

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Pot the 55 slow jet back in and turn the pilot screw to 2 1/2 turns

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Stalling at higher RPM's is most likely Main jet clogged or Diaphram in needle valve issue (hole or small tear etc)...
Plugged fuel filter will do it also, restricted fuel flow..
There is a small screen/filter in the Carb where the fuel line comes in...
Assuming the Air filter is clean and clear, but that would be a steady restriction at high RPM....
Vacuum leak would probably be most noticed at low rpm ....

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/45937-carb-and-what-affects-what

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?216890-Carb-Cleaning-101

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Sorry, haven't had time yet will post asap

Hey Greg would having the 60 in cause it to flood? Cause that it almost what it seems??
YEs 60 was to big for mine, had to go back to 58 size (not 55= stock)....

I am running 58 Pilot, 215 main, needle at 3 1/2, A/F at 2 1/4.....
Factory Pro Kit, stage 3....
Spike air cleaner (lot of air)...
Runs pretty smooth with more power then stock..

'But do' ~ pull top off (needle jet) and check the diaphram very closely, with light behind it looking for tears or cracks & pin holes... If its leaking it wont hold the needle up......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

'But do' ~ pull top off (needle jet) and check the diaphram very closely, with light behind it looking for tears or cracks & pin holes... If its leaking it wont hold the needle up......

Thanx, I wish I had the ability. I live in a city and don't have a place to do it myself anymore. I found a dealer, but they are the ones who put the 60 in without telling me, I had to find a garage and waste time trying to figure out what they did and why...
So I'm taking it back, and I kinda pissed because I can't imagine what they were thinking. But as long as it goes back... it's all the same I guess. It won't be till Monday morning so I'll post about the fight after

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Yes. With a dynojet kit the 55 slow jet should be used.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts

He has Dynojet in his bike, giving him your Factory Pro settings will just confuse him. They are numbered different. Factory Pro goes by the size of the hole and Dynojet goes by the flow. A 195 Dynojet main is a little larger than a 220 Factory Pro main.

Listen to Greg, He knows what he is talking about.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanx, I wish I had the ability. I live in a city and don't have a place to do it myself anymore. I found a dealer, but they are the ones who put the 60 in without telling me, I had to find a garage and waste time trying to figure out what they did and why...
So I'm taking it back, and I kinda pissed because I can't imagine what they were thinking. But as long as it goes back... it's all the same I guess. It won't be till Monday morning so I'll post about the fight after
Don't give up man, I live in an apartment also, this is something you can do without a garage, takes about an hour or so start to finish. I have about the same setup as Frank does, and will second that this setup rocks, the one he outlined in his post.

By the way, my bike came with the Dynojet kit, it was running like crap, I bit the bullet on the Factory Pro, taking a chance, and it was by far the best performance improvement I've made to the bike. Well worth it, it's not much trouble at all to install, honestly.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
I'd install the complete factory pro stage 1 or 3 (are same) jet kit and your problems will go away . Dino jets make good fishing wights.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanx Doug.
Went, and fought.
I'm going to have to take it all apartand do it myself. I'll keep my fight posted. (Westcoast powersports, Clearwater florida)!

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Thanx Doug.
Went, and fought.
I'm going to have to take it all apartand do it myself. I'll keep my fight posted. (Westcoast powersports, Clearwater florida)!
That's good to hear, I'd keep your bike away from any dealer, it's not that hard and there are many here that can walk you threw it. You will be much better off.

Doug

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Thanx Doug.
Went, and fought.
When you work on it I'll help you get it tuned with the dynojet kit that's in it. If you can would you list the jets that are in your kit please

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
There's one person here who can't tune dynojet parts (sky's the limit on why he can't, though most of us have our suspicions), so he always tells people they have to re-spend their hard earned money on more parts, that will function exactly the same as his advertised brand. I (along with A LOT of others) can assure you that the dynojet parts you currently own are perfectly fine and functional, and will provide you with all the same HP/TQ gains as factory pro.

List up what you have for parts currently in the carb and what you have in your kit, and those of us who have successfully tuned all types of parts for our carburetors will help you out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When you work on it I'll help you get it tuned with the dynojet kit that's in it. If you can would you list the jets that are in your kit please

190 195 200 205.
I haven't had any time, just pulled some ot woop woop but bad for my motorcycle time. but I'm hoping on Monday I'll get the time Thanks Greg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts