Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone (yes you know who you are :D) was recently showing off their bike mods and I noticed the ugly Federal Certification Label affixed to the front right frame. I found a good work-a-round for these stickers, if you want to keep the stickers, but also want to free the frame free of the ugly label look. Most frames are painted a glossy black, so I bought some black reflective tape (has a glossy finish) and I applied the tape so it covers these labels (typically located on the front frame tubes).

The added feature of using the black reflective tape is that it reflects light at night and appears black in daylight (see video). There is no reason to be sporting ugly stock labels on our bikes, with this very cool tecnology that adds a safety feature to our bike in the process of making it less 'ugly'.

By the way, the most useful reason I know to keep these labels has to do with a person who might need the label if they buy your bike for registration purposes.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Will this tape be able to be removed without ruining the sticker? I would think the sticker would come off when removing the black tape.

·
Super Moderator
64,576 Posts
Again, why the worry about this sticker? It's NOT the DOT VIN plate, it's just an easy to find/read sticker. The real DOT VIN stamp is STAMPED into the steel of the neck so it can't easily be removed of tampered with. I took that sticker off real soon after I painted my VTX

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't really care either way.
Some people want everything stock/OEM from the factory. Me not so much. Everyone has different reasons.

The fuel tank sticker was the first thing that came off mine when I got it home years ago.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will this tape be able to be removed without ruining the sticker? I would think the sticker would come off when removing the black tape.
The stock label is hard to remove, I know because I tried and it took a lot of effort to come off. The reflective tape by comparison is fairly easy to remove.

Again, why the worry about this sticker? It's NOT the DOT VIN plate, it's just an easy to find/read sticker. The real DOT VIN stamp is STAMPED into the steel of the neck so it can't easily be removed of tampered with. I took that sticker off real soon after I painted my VTX
From my readings on the purpose of these labels, keeping or not keeping the label will mostly affect your ability to sell your bike to someone in another state that might need the label if that state requires it for registration. If the buyer needs the label to show it meets a state's requirements, but it's missing, you might miss a sale if the buyer has to have it. That's the reason some people may want to keep the label on there.

As for me, it's so easy to just put the black reflective tape over the label, and add some safety in the process, this is what I just did with the Harley I just bought. I'm just paying it forward to those who 1) Didn't notice how ugly the label is, and 2) May be putting up with the ugly because they don't know if it's OK to remove the label, so they leave it there.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I used Cable Tubing that I cut to the right length and simply pushed onto the tubular frame so the open side was hidden in the back. Can't seem to find the solid version that's not ribbed or bradded but Here's an example.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought you were referring to me for a second until i read front right haha
I just made a post about a coffee holder and i agree, i noticed how ugly the stickers are after i read your post. I guess i know what i will be doing soon. Sticker delete on frame!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
They require the VIN stamp, not sticker. A sticker is easily removed, destroyed and therefor falsified. The sticker was solely for dealers ability to easily recognize inventory, so the Honda factory reps told us.
In some countries that sticker is required for registration. It also contains the date (year and MONTH) when the bike was made and required, too (they don't bother decoding VIN).
In the EU (some countries) , other (all) factory stickers required with the "E" markings. (FYI, There are more stickers on the EU bikes.)

·
Super Moderator
64,576 Posts
That's great... for Europe. The OP is in the USA and these stickers are meant for the dealer only as I said before they are easily scratched off, peeled off, worn off, faked.....and not a true VIN. It's a sticker

·
Registered
2008 VTX 1800F
32 Posts
Thanks for sharing OP. I'll probably never get around to it myself but I like the idea and was unaware of the black reflective tape previously. I've only seen it in colors before. I'm not sure why anyone would be negative about this. If you don't want to do it, no one is making you.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
That's great... for Europe. The OP is in the USA and these stickers are meant for the dealer only as I said before they are easily scratched off, peeled off, worn off, faked.....and not a true VIN. It's a sticker
Well, there is additional info to the VIN on that sticker. Why would a dealer need this sticker to know the GVWR, GAWR, tire size and pressure, etc.? And some time if you try to sell your bike to an international buyer, you may lose a potential buyer, who may pay higher price than a US buyer. And who knows, some day, some state will require it for registration or just to use the bike on public roads (like tire pressure label on commercial vehicles).

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
This discussion is going nowhere.
The OP clearly stated "if you want to keep the stickers" for whatever reason (your personal taste, dealer or the DMV, does not really matter).
So if you want to keep the stickers, you have the option of using the tape. If you don't want to keep the stickers, feel free to peel them off. Or use a grinder. Or flame thrower. It's a free country afterall. That's the beauty of the freedom of each owner having their personal preferences and choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts