Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this earlier today and thought it was interesting. It shows how COVID19 is not the same as the flu and needs to be treated differently.

I found it interesting.

·
Premium Member
11,937 Posts
I wonder why local hospitals and hotlines tell you to "just treat it as if you have the flu" when people call because they have it/have symptoms, then? Because they do. Odd, right?

·
Super Moderator
63,661 Posts
Yes, US death toll on Covid passes 10k. The seasonal flu strain has anywhere from 30,000-60,000 in the same time span from Nov 2019 to present. These are numbers direct from the CDC website. So is it the same as the seasonal flu? No, it's a bit worse. Is it something to panic over? No, if we get it, more than likely you will be fine. Current numbers suggest less than a 1% fatality rate where the seasonal flu has around a 0.2%.

As far as treating it like the seasonal flu, yes please do. There is NO NEED for anyone to run to their doctors office or to the hospitals if they get a cough or sore throat. Getting a test, that everyone seems hell bent on demanding, doesn't do anything to cure you. Only if you are having difficulty breathing should you go to the doctor. Going because you have the sniffles only clogs the system and they will just send you home anyway even if you do have Covid19. All you're doing is spreading it.

There's also several universities and drug companies testing vaccines right now for it.

·
Premium Member
11,937 Posts
I think we passed 20,000 in the US today @Chicago-Spike, but they have really been expanding their "criteria" to get to that number over the last week or so. CDC, local and state governments, along with Brix and the feds.
I'm hearing they are ascribing deaths to COVID-19 without even knowing if the person had it. Without a formal test, just based on symptoms or their gut, basically. That doesn't sound very scientific to me...
But you're right. My buddy had it and called the local hospital hotline (nurse wife made him---he didn't want to) last week and they said "yeah, just treat as the flu" and he said OK but listen, I do want to make you aware my wife is a NICU (neonatal ICU) nurse if that makes any difference. "You're good, just treat as the flu". He said he said sure thing and hung up. He got over it within 6 days or so total and I know they can't test everyone and likely get a lot of calls, but...
They must not think it THAT deadly horrific given the circumstances of the call and what they told him. And given he was clear about his symptoms and that it was pretty clearly COVID-19, why not at least get his info and call him back now and test for antibodies and use him for those if he was willing? I don't know. I think the whole thing is somewhat overblown. And by somewhat, I mean grossly overblown.
I still think a voluntary (elderly, preconditions, people who are just "scared", even) quarantine/work from home/shutdown where the rest of us continued to report to work and the restaurants, bars (who wanted to) and all schools stayed open would have been a better solution. Schools have always closed for a Thursday and Friday here and there to stem the seasonal flu when they got hit hard, but individual schools, not entire districts and certainly not the entire state.
This is a classic example of cutting off our nose to spite our face, IMO.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
So, the normal flu has a track record of killing somewhere in the range of 35,000 to 80,000 people per year in the US. Given that the annual flu season lasts 8 or 9 months, that would mean 10,000 deaths per month would be about absolute worst case.

In the last three weeks, we’ve had roughly 40,000 deaths in the US from COVID-19. And this death toll has accumulated even with all the economic disruption and mitigation strategies in effect. So, I agree with the video; seems pretty clear that this is not the flu.

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's important to remember that COVID19 has overwhelmed the health care system in many areas, where the seasonal flu does not. This while the nation is quarantined. I gotta believe deaths would be substantially higher if not for people self isolating and social distancing. If the same measures were taken for the seasonal flu, deaths would also be substantially less there. I don't think it's a valid comparison to compare COVID deaths to flu deaths. Entirely different circumstances.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
I think it's important to remember that COVID19 has overwhelmed the health care system in many areas, where the seasonal flu does not. This while the nation is quarantined. I gotta believe deaths would be substantially higher if not for people self isolating and social distancing. If the same measures were taken for the seasonal flu, deaths would also be substantially less there.
Your last comment highlights what I believe is a logical point overlooked by C-19 skeptics. Think this thru just a bit: Social distancing and restricted human interaction have been implemented to mitigate C-19 spread. It would be quite reasonable to conclude that the efforts to reduce C-19 transmission would also provide benefits in reduction of other virus transmissions. Hmmmmm..., that sort of coincides with some reduced trends in normal flu deaths that a handful of folks have complained about.

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be clear. I'm not being alarmist. Panic was and is pointless and accomplishes nothing. I do believe that social distancing really helped with the spread and helped to make sure there was medical care for those who needed it. I personally believe it is necessary for the time being. I also believe a return to normalcy too soon will result in an escalation. This seems logical to me.

I agree with Spike on this as well. Unless you are in some sort of respiratory distress, you have a bad flu. Let the doctors treat those that need it.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
Going back to normal too soon--Georgia.
Several Tatttoo artists said they are not opening.

On Monday, Georgia’s governor, Brian Kemp, announced his decision to reopen the state for business.
Non-essential businesses, including tattoo parlors, hair salons, movie theaters and bowling alleys, will be authorized to reopen from Friday, if they follow social distancing orders.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,263 Posts
One of the strengths of the US political system is the individual sovereignty of the states. They should correctly develop and pursue the policies that best serve their own state. It also serves as a laboratory of sorts, with good policies being demonstrated and potential bad ideas being identified prior to widespread implementation.

·
Registered
937 Posts
States delaying opening up will be screaming, crying and stamping feet saying it is not fair. Countries, states and cities that open before their competitors will have an advantage. They will be asking for compensation because while they were setting on their ass others were working.

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
States delaying opening up will be screaming, crying and stamping feet saying it is not fair. Countries, states and cities that open before their competitors will have an advantage. They will be asking for compensation because while they were setting on their ass others were working.
Or they will be hit with a second wave and be locked down yet again, while others clear the virus and gain every advantage. There is a long game in this as well. I get what you are saying, we are all anxious to resume business as usual. I am not, however, interested in resuming business for a month, just to be put back into survival mode for an indefinite period.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
If they want to reopen, dont cry when they start getting sick. Just stay home and die quietly without pulling resources from states that are acting responsibly.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
If they want to reopen, dont cry when they start getting sick. Just stay home and die quietly without pulling resources from states that are acting responsibly.
Or, if they reopen and everything is fine then those states actually producing things shouldn't have to pay for the states that decided not to open.

Works both ways doesn't it?

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Sure, as long as they meet their federal obligations as measured Pre-Corona. That means repaying assistance they have received thus far.
Sure - so the states that don't open have to repay too when they open right? The constitution doesn't permit the federal government to treat the states unequal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts