Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this thing since the first round production and finally got around to trying to install it today. I have a question for anybody that has already installed it.

Correct me if I am wrong but you pull off the gas cap and then insert the cap into the ring from underneath, right? I can get that far, but then when I try to put the whole assembly together on the bike, it seems like you have to push really hard to get the gas cap to latch. Once it does, it looks like its not all level with the tank, it seems to be sitting at an angle. Now, I havent yet stuck the adhesive part to the tank yet, I was just holding it all in place to see how it looks. AM I doing something wrong?

M

·
0 Posts
In order to get the cap to latch, I have to press down on my cap a little more with the Coyote hinge on than I did without it. The cap does sit even with the tank when closed. The extra pressure needed to close it, I believe, is related to the hinge mechanism forcing a more 'straight in' closure than when the cap is allowed to flex when closing without the hinge.

Be sure you have inserted the thin lead shims between the cap and Goyote cap ring and that the cap is all the way into the ring and even (from underneath as you suggested). Once the cap is in place on the tank and the hinge section is aligned where you want it, you can remove the peel-off backing from the double stick tape and carefully press the hinge section into place on the nacellle. When the cap is being unlocked, it will need to be lifted straight up about 1/4" before it will tilt back so a suspected tilt may be an optical illusion.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
spederman that sounds correct, it has been awhile since I did it. Put the cap on from the underside of the ring. Before I put he adhesive tape on it I made sure that it was all lined up and that the cap was secured in the tank filler. I hope this helped you out some.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I'VE GOT A QUESTION :?: ;anyone seen mine :evil:
i know it's out there some where :evil:
been on back order since 2/20/05
KRUT

G

·
0 Posts
I do not have the instructions any more. But I believe you were to leave the gas cap on and in place. At least on the 1800's there is a line around the gas cap. I centered the leading edge of the hinge on that. Pull just a small cornor of the tape cover past the hinge till you are sure where you want it. After you are happy, holding the hinge in place, pull the cover from the tape. Then all you have too do is place the back part of the hinge in place. I really have no problems with closeing my gas cap.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
KRUT said:
I'VE GOT A QUESTION :?: ;anyone seen mine :evil:
i know it's out there some where :evil:
been on back order since 2/20/05
KRUT
Yeah, it's keeping company with my Kuryakyn stuff, somewhere out there.

·
Registered
663 Posts
1300 is different than 1800

Orange Rocket said:
I do not have the instructions any more. But I believe you were to leave the gas cap on and in place. At least on the 1800's there is a line around the gas cap. I centered the leading edge of the hinge on that. Pull just a small cornor of the tape cover past the hinge till you are sure where you want it. After you are happy, holding the hinge in place, pull the cover from the tape. Then all you have too do is place the back part of the hinge in place. I really have no problems with closeing my gas cap.
The 1300 x-hinge is completely different than the 1800. That cap is held by a captive ring and set screws, whereas on the 1800 it is taped on.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help guys.

One question though, is there any way to remove the key from the gas cap once its off. It would be a lot easier trying to install it if I could pull out the key.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured it out. Man, I was making the install WAY harder than it really was. It ended up being really simple. The only advice, watch out for that 3M sticky tape, man that stuff could hold anything together. I put it on, and it sat slightly crooked, well I tried to pull it off again, it ripped that cheap a$$ honda emblem right out, luckily I centered it and it all stuck again. Hope you guys waiting on it get it soon, its pretty sweet, and it looks really good, like it was stock.

G

·
0 Posts
WOW!!! Thanks!! eganX, I did not know there was a diffrence. I have never seen the one for the 1300. Thanks for setting me straight.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Be ready for increased gas mileage with the X-hinge. Mine went up about 28% :roll:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Bigdog 1 said:
Be ready for increased gas mileage with the X-hinge. Mine went up about 28% :roll:
Boy I am looking forward to that!!!! $1.49.9 a gallon for regular tonight. I just installed my X hinge...came in the mail today from Cruser Customizing. I called around to see who had one in stock. Being who I am..I want it, when I want it. I am into instant gratification...This has gotten me into a lot of trouble through out life :D 30 seconds of pleasure in exchange for 3 months of pain and suffering...always sounded like a good deal to me :?

But I sure like this X hinge...don't know why I didn't get one sooner.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
lowinsure said:
Bigdog 1 said:
Boy I am looking forward to that!!!! $1.49.9 a gallon for regular tonight. I just installed my X hinge...came in the mail today from Cruser Customizing. I called around to see who had one in stock. Being who I am..I want it, when I want it. I am into instant gratification...This has gotten me into a lot of trouble through out life :D 30 seconds of pleasure in exchange for 3 months of pain and suffering...always sounded like a good deal to me :?

But I sure like this X hinge...don't know why I didn't get one sooner.
You must be excited....$1.49 that's freaking give away. I'm coming to get some of that :lol:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Bigdog 1 said:
You must be excited....$1.49 that's freaking give away. I'm coming to get some of that :lol:
Come on over...be happy to buy ya a tank...Want to fill up my Suburban and wifes Avalanche...Damn this sucks and its only gonna get worse...too bad I will have to ride my X more :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
gas cap

if that upgrade on the gas cap really increases the gas mileage i am going order several of them- where i live the gas is $2.50 a gallon. and they don't even kiss you when you are done!!!! :( :evil:

M

·
0 Posts
lowinsure said:
... Boy I am looking forward to that!!!! $1.49.9 a gallon for regular tonight....
My Coyote Hinge didn't help keep our costs down... This was last Sunday...

Save some of that liquid gold for me. I'll be right up to get some.

·
Registered
921 Posts
:oops: I am so brain dead ...try $2.53.9 today... :oops:

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I paid 2.08 today for my Civic and thought I got the deal of the century.

Wow 2.73 for reg. that hurts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts