Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning my wheels today noticed some cracks in my front tire close to the rim. I don't like the looks of them there are about 10 on the right (sitting on the seat) side of the tire. Only one on the other side. Have 4700 miles on the bike back is fine. Is this norman? safe?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Have you used some sort of tire dressing on them? Armor All and the like will break down the rubber.

Is it safe? In a word, no.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If it's just a few I wouldn't sweat it. What I would do is ride it a whole lot so I can use the tires up before it actually gets bad.

Brian

·
Registered
416 Posts
If it's a Metz they will pro-rate the tire. I found a crack in my tire about one inch long last year. It wasn't dry rot, tire was only three months old.
Took it back to the place that installed it, when we pulled it you could see that the crack went right to the cords. Don't chance it. A front tire blow-out on the highway is not fun.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no tire dressing

Called the dealership they are going to look at it tuesday. Asked if this could possibly be a bad tire issue they said not likely (ie not warranty). I kind of pressed the issue and he said "let me look at it first". Will update the outcome

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
original tire

never put any tire shine on it, kept inside. Dealer says it sounds like dry rot I say not. Pressure at 33 so that should not be an issue.

G

·
0 Posts
there was a thread a long time ago, bout the stock dunnies doing that...bad tires, was a reason a lot of us changed tires back then..the stock dunnies suck...metz or avon way to go..

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
read the old threads

Seems like there have been some issues about this. Not sure if there are enough reported to have it be a big problem with Dunlop though. I'm just gonna hang tight and see what the dealer says. Bought 2 bikes and an ATV from them within a years time so hope they take care of me.

·
Registered
958 Posts
LOL Ricstir! Liked your avatar! :D

yes I have several cracks on my tire. but it was not all the way (deep ) it was only on my highest part of the tread. prolly 5 to 10 thousandths deep.

Is yours all the way( deep ) or just the highest part?

becareful&ridesafe 8)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine are in the sidewall close the rim. They are going with the contour of the rim just look like little slits.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got a new tire

Took it to dealer said they had to call Honda. After an hour or so they said they would replace w/ oem tire but they did not have it in stock. They had the D404F but it costs more. Paid the difference in the two tires and mount and balance all in 80 bucks. I probably could have raised some *&ll and got it done cheaper or maybe even free but I just wasn't in the mood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts