Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1800-Spoker
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my list of things to go through on my "new to me" VTX1800S. One on my list is replacing the FPR as we know those can be an issue on the 2003's.

I'm not certain we have an issue with the regulator as outlined in the discussions, but as I was doing my trouble shooting I thought I would smell the oil for gas odor.

The dip-stick was pulled and has a strong odor of exhaust. The oil was changed about 60 mikes ago (T5-15/40), bike has 26K on the odometer. I did run the bike for a couple of minutes the day before (never heated up).

Have you guys ever noticed that on yours?

Motor vehicle Light Automotive design Automotive lighting Handwriting

·
Old Goat
26,455 Posts
See post #4 and #5…Spike knows his chit…:eek:…probably spoke Out-O-turn…..good luck

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
On my list of things to go through on my "new to me" VTX1800S. One on my list is replacing the FPR as we know those can be an issue on the 2003's.

I'm not certain we have an issue with the regulator as outlined in the discussions, but as I was doing my trouble shooting I thought I would smell the oil for gas odor.

The dip-stick was pulled and has a strong odor of exhaust. The oil was changed about 60 mikes ago (T5-15/40), bike has 26K on the odometer. I did run the bike for a couple of minutes the day before (never heated up).

Have you guys ever noticed that on yours?

View attachment 195945
Nope. No help here.

·
Super Moderator
64,412 Posts
60 miles isn't enough time to get the oil level to change much. But, the smell of exhaust would be enough for me to swap out the FPR and change my oil again. Your oil shouldn't smell like exhaust unless fuel washed down from the combustion chambers and took the soot with it

·
Super Moderator
64,412 Posts
Remember, the FPR doesn't go bad from mileage. They failed from TIME and around 10 years these started failing like leaves falling from a tree in fall. They are around $40, get a new one and don't risk spinning your main bearing in the case and blowing up your engine

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
My 2002 1800C always had smelly oil. I changed the FPR, checked everything I knew to check, but I believe the cylinders were scored.

Spike is absolutely right, the FPR is the first place to look, but in my case, I believe I had other issues. My exhaust tips were perpetually sooty. I had it on a dyno when I got the PCIII and the mixtures were okay, so my best guess is that there was some blow by, and exhaust gasses were mixing with the oil. I never did solve it, and continued to ride without regard for it. Changed the oil regularly and the oil level never did increase. Used about 1/2 quart every 3000 or so miles so blow by makes sense in that case.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
My 2002 1800C always had smelly oil. I changed the FPR, checked everything I knew to check, but I believe the cylinders were scored.

Spike is absolutely right, the FPR is the first place to look, but in my case, I believe I had other issues. My exhaust tips were perpetually sooty. I had it on a dyno when I got the PCIII and the mixtures were okay, so my best guess is that there was some blow by, and exhaust gasses were mixing with the oil. I never did solve it, and continued to ride without regard for it. Changed the oil regularly and the oil level never did increase. Used about 1/2 quart every 3000 or so miles so blow by makes sense in that case.
Everything you said except in my case there was no oil consumption. Anyway after 125,000 km the bike still runs fine so I don't care anymore how the oil smells.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
Everything you said except in my case there was no oil consumption. Anyway after 125,000 km the bike still runs fine so I don't care anymore how the oil smells.
Yeah, it's weird. The Harley doesn't seem to foul the oil at all, but the Honda had smelly oil. I didn't care, like you, the bike ran like a top and had gobs of power, so I figured "whatever". No one is going around smelling oil, so who cares ... so long as everything is in order.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1800-Spoker
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input guys. I'm going to take it for a longer ride and check the oil smell again, just to see if it was from the pervious short idle session and before I do my maintenance list (includes changing the FPR). Just long enough to get things hot.

No one is going around smelling oil, so who cares ... so long as everything is in order.
I agree, should I worry about it? If the bike runs good, doesn't smoke and the plugs don't foul probably not. I have always been a "cause and effect" guy and like to know why things do what they do.

Again on the FPR, from my checking there is no gas leaking through the vacuum side, it does hold a vacuum at the diaphragm without leaking down. I did apply and remove vacuum to the regulator while it was idling and it made no audible difference (not that I was really expecting to at an idle). Has it been replaced by the previous owner? Who knows. There no discerning differences on the markings on my new one and the old one that I can see. Regardless, it's getting replaced.

I'll update what I find concerning the oil in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800R
123 Posts
I smell the oil and feel for viscosity every time i check it in anything. Color, smell and feel give you an idea of the condition the inside of the engine is in as well as the condition of the oil. It's good practice just like a pretrip when checking lights, horn, tire pressure etc. I don't worry as much with exhaust smell, but raw fuel smell I take seriously. It has a very distinctive smell when it has served it's purpose and is no longer providing deposit collection too. When polymers start to break down and the viscosity fades it gets runny, it doesn't provide a protective wedge barrier and metal parts start to rub.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I smell the oil and feel for viscosity every time i check it in anything. Color, smell and feel give you an idea of the condition the inside of the engine is in as well as the condition of the oil. It's good practice just like a pretrip when checking lights, horn, tire pressure etc. I don't worry as much with exhaust smell, but raw fuel smell I take seriously. It has a very distinctive smell when it has served it's purpose and is no longer providing deposit collection too. When polymers start to break down and the viscosity fades it gets runny, it doesn't provide a protective wedge barrier and metal parts start to rub.
Thanks for your input guys. I'm going to take it for a longer ride and check the oil smell again, just to see if it was from the pervious short idle session and before I do my maintenance list (includes changing the FPR). Just long enough to get things hot.

I agree, should I worry about it? If the bike runs good, doesn't smoke and the plugs don't foul probably not. I have always been a "cause and effect" guy and like to know why things do what they do.

Again on the FPR, from my checking there is no gas leaking through the vacuum side, it does hold a vacuum at the diaphragm without leaking down. I did apply and remove vacuum to the regulator while it was idling and it made no audible difference (not that I was really expecting to at an idle). Has it been replaced by the previous owner? Who knows. There no discerning differences on the markings on my new one and the old one that I can see. Regardless, it's getting replaced.

Praytell---- what is the FPR thingy????????????

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800R
123 Posts
Praytell---- what is the FPR thingy????????????
Fuel Pressure Regulator. This is a cut away of one. If the diaphragm develops a hole fuel goes through the vaccum line and into the intake of the engine. It floods the engine with too much fuel ruining gas mileage and performance and settles into the crank case if it's bad enough.
Gas Machine Auto part Gun accessory Metal

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fuel Pressure Regulator. This is a cut away of one. If the diaphragm develops a hole fuel goes through the vaccum line and into the intake of the engine. It floods the engine with too much fuel ruining gas mileage and performance and settles into the crank case if it's bad enough.
View attachment 196103
Thank you,I will rest easy now!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800R
123 Posts
Thank you,I will rest easy now!!!!!!!!!!
You’re welcome anytime. I’m sure most of us get use to a certain thing being listed as short hand and not taking into consideration that someone might not know what it is.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
You can also type into the "Search Community" at the top and will generally find an answer.
TS = Turn Signal, HL = headlight, SP = Spark plug, ECM/ECU = Engine Control Module/ Engine Control Unit,
ICM=Ignition Control Module(1300).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts