Honda VTX Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Well, I didn't get the pictures uploaded from my phone before it died, but I can share this

I call it an 1800RC as it is an R with C fenders. I do have a matching tank, I'm just running this one until I finish using the gas in it. This was taken earlier this afternoon when I was warming it up to mess with the idle air screw. The exhaust is some off brand, I couldn't find any markings on them. I didn't blip the throttle because I like my neighbors, those pipes are LOUD. I got close to the cylinders to listen to them and record the sounds. Does anyone hear anything off? I'm used to hearing some noise and tapping and such from older car motors, but I don't have a frame of reference for this one.

·
Registered
908 Posts
the engine sounds exactly like mine. the blowback in the exhaust doesn't sound right. obviously there's no crossover in that one and the top looks to be pretty short. it could be a back pressure issue being those are off brand straight pipes. i assume while you were in there you checked valve clearances. i can't remember if the vtx has hydraulic adjusters or not.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Well, I didn't get the pictures uploaded from my phone before it died, but I can share this

I call it an 1800RC as it is an R with C fenders. I do have a matching tank, I'm just running this one until I finish using the gas in it. This was taken earlier this afternoon when I was warming it up to mess with the idle air screw. The exhaust is some off brand, I couldn't find any markings on them. I didn't blip the throttle because I like my neighbors, those pipes are LOUD. I got close to the cylinders to listen to them and record the sounds. Does anyone hear anything off? I'm used to hearing some noise and tapping and such from older car motors, but I don't have a frame of reference for this one.
Sounds normal like mine:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well, I got the tank as clean as I could, new pump and filter, reassembled and hooked up the battery. Pump was priming and I was grinning. Cycled a handful of times to make sure the rail was pressurized and tried to start. Just cranking, no catch. I pulled one of the shallow plugs and stuck my thumb over the hole. I could feel it pulsing as it turned over but no real pressure, and then a pop that would blow my thumb off the hole. Knowing that the bike sat around for some years before I got it I'm thinking maybe stuck rings. I pulled all of the plugs and shot a hefty amount of PB Blaster into each cylinder and let them sit overnight.

Came back today and checked with a boroscope, there was a puddle of PB in each cylinder, so at least it didn't just drain past the rings into the case. Turned the motor over a bit with the plugs out to evacuate the PB, and stuffed paper towels into the plug holes to catch as much as I could. The motor kept blowing the paper towel out of the shallow plug holes, so it looked like more compression than I was getting last night. Checked each plug to make sure they were sparking and reinstalled. I tried blocking the last one with my thumb, the right front, and I could feel it farting air past my thumb, so definite improvement. Still just cranking without starting.

I pulled the airbox off, thinking to shoot a little carb or brake cleaner in the intake to see if it might be a fuel problem. Hit the button and twisted a little to open the plates, and it starts shooting fire out of the intake on both cylinders! I've had cars backfire on me before but this seems different. Are my intake valves open when the plugs are firing? If so, how do I check and/or fix that? I'm going to stop trying to start it until I can do a compression and probably leak-down test, and just finish the brakes. Anyone have any ideas on this?
The 1800's will backfire if you give them any throttle when cranking. When I went to start mine for the first time, I gave it just a touch of throttle and hit the starter. It backfired and made everyone at the gas station where I met the previous owner to test ride it duck and run for cover. He then informed me not to touch the throttle when cranking or it will backfire. Have not done it again, never had another backfire, and it always starts.

LOL I wrote this reply before seeing that you pulled the head! Oops!
Well, for future reference, don't give it any gas when starting. ;)

·
Super Moderator
64,382 Posts
The 1800's will backfire if you give them any throttle when cranking. When I went to start mine for the first time, I gave it just a touch of throttle and hit the starter. It backfired and made everyone at the gas station where I met the previous owner to test ride it duck and run for cover.
It's EFI, you never have to give it any throttle. In fact, the throttle will do nothing until the bike is running. It will not give any extra fuel when the engine is off

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's EFI, you never have to give it any throttle. In fact, the throttle will do nothing until the bike is running. It will not give any extra fuel when the engine is off
Yeah, no accelerator pump or anything. All I know is they will backfire if you give them any throttle while trying to start. Perhaps it throws off the expected starting mixture due to the extra volume of air? I don't know. I just know it was LOUD! Was not even my bike yet and I thought I blew it up.

·
Super Moderator
64,382 Posts
Here's the start procedure in a nutshell, from the owners manual;
1. Turn key to ON and listen for fuel pump to prime fuel rail
2. Press start button, engine will NOT start if throttle is open ECM will cut off fuel supply

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here's the start procedure in a nutshell, from the owners manual;
1. Turn key to ON and listen for fuel pump to prime fuel rail
2. Press start button, engine will NOT start if throttle is open ECM will cut off fuel supply
Not trying to be a jerk, but technically it says the starting procedure for any air temperature is to turn key on, wait for PGM-FI light to go out, then press the start button with the throttle completely closed. It goes on to say "The engine will not start if the throttle is fully open because the electronic control module cuts off the fuel supply" It then tells you that If flooded you are supposed to hold it wide open and crank for 5 seconds to clear, then attempt to start again with throttle fully closed. I just know from experience that if you give it any throttle, like just barely opening it, it can cause loud backfires when cranking. Have only done it once, that was enough. All of my other Honda's would start best if you just barely opened the throttle to start, so it was a habit and I did it on my 1800.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts