Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Yep, I did. And there’s clearly no way to repair it ...
Some (idiots) say that JB Weld is stronger than steel, you should try that! :D :D :D

j/k
It is just slightly stronger than hot glue.

Anyway, I guess drilling it out for some rivets and putting a patch plate underneath (with some good epoxy for added strength) would not work? (not enough room?)
(hard to tell from the picture)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yep, I did. And there’s clearly no way to repair it so it’s either find another kury mounting bracket or else go back to the OEM one if I can dig that one up. I’m not sure the previous owner gave it to me. I appreciate you looking for it. I’ll gladly pay you over and above shipping for a kuryakyn if you happen to have one.

My buddy says he thinks he might have one, when he gets to the shop he will advise doesn't know if it this one or the one for the R/S. he bought an abandoned storage unit that was full of Kuryakyn parts old and new awhile back. has to sort through them should know in a few hours.

Reactions: icopus

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Yep, I did. And there’s clearly no way to repair it so it’s either find another kury mounting bracket or else go back to the OEM one if I can dig that one up. I’m not sure the previous owner gave it to me. I appreciate you looking for it. I’ll gladly pay you over and above shipping for a kuryakyn if you happen to have one.
I think I still have this item somewhere in a drawer. I will look this weekend and post a picture. Of course sending from Belgium will cost some money...Sorry Ik just looked but could not find it.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If it is an aluminum bracket, any chance you can find a welder to TIG weld it?
No I don’t think so. It looks like cast pot metal or some thing, and I think it’s also bent on the left side before it broke. If I can’t come up with the same bracket to replace it, I’ll probably fab some thing myself because all it has to do is hold the license plate and provide mounts for the turn signals.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No I don’t think so. It looks like cast pot metal or some thing, and I think it’s also bent on the left side before it broke. If I can’t come up with the same bracket to replace it, I’ll probably fab some thing myself because all it has to do is hold the license plate and provide mounts for the turn signals.
OK, so I ended up buying this. It’ll do the job for me and they have it in stock
Big Bike Parts - Chrome LED License Plt. Frame With Signals

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
OK, so I ended up buying this. It’ll do the job for me and they have it in stock
Big Bike Parts - Chrome LED License Plt. Frame With Signals
if you actually receive it. that company has a bad rep here and on many motorcycle sites (not just honda/vtx). poor communication, website indicating parts in stock that they don't have or can no longer get.

took me over 5 months to get a refund for several parts they claimed they had but never shipped, ended up having to file a claim with the CC company to get my funds back.

I am still waiting for Jason to get back to me on the kuryakyn part.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
if you actually receive it. that company has a bad rep here and on many motorcycle sites (not just honda/vtx). poor communication, website indicating parts in stock that they don't have or can no longer get.

took me over 5 months to get a refund for several parts they claimed they had but never shipped, ended up having to file a claim with the CC company to get my funds back.

I am still waiting for Jason to get back to me on the kuryakyn part.
Well they said that my order went through and that tracking will be provided so I’ll let you know how it goes

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well they said that my order went through and that tracking will be provided so I’ll let you know how it goes
Hey, they already shipped the item! Now I get to see if it's as advertised and also if with my small brain I can do the wire-up, which I suck at. I'll let you know what I learn.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Weird little question...I ruined one of the plastic end caps to my OEM grips when I fell, and I got a new one on evilbay--how do you put it back on there? Is there a trick that you know (soap or something?) to reinstall the plastic cap, instead of pulling the grip halfway off (which I can't seem to do, or don't want to) so as to collapse the rubber grip to install the end cap? I know, it's a stupid little problem...bear with me:)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
oem caps?

they just push and snap on and you need grip glue for them to stay on. at least the ones on the "F" are that way.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
the caps have two tabs that go into slots in the rubber grips, and those retain the caps on there. I'm afraid if I just push, the plastic tabs will break off. If there's no handlebar under the grips, you can compress the grips and easily engage the tabs in the slots, which retains the caps. I was planning to put some grip glue in there as well, but that's not really what keeps them on. Just trying to avoid pulling the grips halfway off--them things are on there, probably with grip glue!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
the caps have two tabs that go into slots in the rubber grips, and those retain the caps on there. I'm afraid if I just push, the plastic tabs will break off. If there's no handlebar under the grips, you can compress the grips and easily engage the tabs in the slots, which retains the caps. I was planning to put some grip glue in there as well, but that's not really what keeps them on. Just trying to avoid pulling the grips halfway off--them things are on there, probably with grip glue!
maybe apply a bit of heat to the rubber grip to soften it up. hair dryer on low, not enough to melt obviously, but enough to soften..

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yep I’m thinking my heat gun. Thanks
Well I got that grip cap on simply by sliding The rubber grip partway off of the handlebar, which wasn’t easy, but that’s all set. As far as my rear bracket and turn signals, I just went back to the OEM stuff that the previous owner gave me when I bought the bike. Oh well no more kuryakyn.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey, they already shipped the item! Now I get to see if it's as advertised and also if with my small brain I can do the wire-up, which I suck at. I'll let you know what I learn.
Oh, I said I'd follow this up... so the item arrived on time, just what I ordered, just not what I wanted. So wife says I have to return it, but like so much stuff in the man cave it's sitting there, maybe for another bike? Unless one of you guys wants it? It's this...
Xchoppers.com - Big Bike Parts - Chrome LED License Plt. Frame With Signals
I'd give you a deal on it--$35 + USPS shipping (paid $106). PM me if interested

21 - 36 of 36 Posts