Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm finally getting around to this experiment. I just ordered up some Hepco and Becker engine guards as seen in this thread http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159379.

Got them from Eurotech Motorsports. They were a retailer years ago, then went wholesale only. I guess the economy forced them back into retail sales now. They are about the only place in the US you can get them.
http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/forms/Query.cfm?do=detail&q_part=501.123 00 02

PDF for installation is here- have to read or translate German I guess. http://www.hepco-becker.de/anbauanleitungen/501123.0002.pdf

I think these, and possibly the MC Enterprises guards, are the only two on the market that will work with forward controls on the VTX. I sent an email to LRExtreme with pictures from that OA thread asking if they thought their forwards for the 1800R would work. I think Eurotech has to special order the guard from Germany, so it might take a bit before I get it. Once the tax return gets here I'm going to order forwards from L&R and then hopefully I'll be able to update this thread with pictures and show that they do indeed work together. :tools:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Congrats that you have found them. I am very pleased with them myself. Installation is very easy. You don't need to understand German(I normally speak Dutch). Just look at the instructions and you will be fine. If not send me a PM:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey fastpek, what fowards are those on your bike- jardine, accutronix, or ??

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Was there any trouble adapting the forward controls and the engine guard to be used together?

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've always desired forward controls to abide with my crash bars. However, these particular crash bars don't seem to offer half the protection my Paladins do as they're mounted so much higher on the bike's frame. Seems the crash bars in this case wouldn't do their job of holding the bike up should it tip over, and thus subjecting the forwards and other various bike parts to inevitable damage as the bike lays on the ground, in which case, what's the purpose? Good luck with your experiment either way. :cool:

·
Registered
787 Posts
I read the old thread a while back. I have the L&R forwards and have been wondering what would work with them. Thanks for posting this. I cant wait to the see the results. Would love to get some bars back on.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I've always desired forward controls to abide with my crash bars. However, these particular crash bars don't seem to offer half the protection my Paladins do as they're mounted so much higher on the bike's frame. Seems the crash bars in this case wouldn't do their job of holding the bike up should it tip over, and thus subjecting the forwards and other various bike parts to inevitable damage as the bike lays on the ground, in which case, what's the purpose? Good luck with your experiment either way. :cool:
Not true, in my case bike went on its left side once without any damage! TÜV tested according to German legacy has some valuenojoke

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you look in the thread I linked, at the picture of fastpek's bike from the front, you can see that they stick out from the sides of the bike quite a way- so that if it fell over the tank, bars, etc would be protected. One advange with these is that there is no chance they will contact the street in a hard lean and lift the front tire- causing a crash like some other designs have been known to. I just got an email from Eurotech saying they ordered them from Germany and they will have them in 3 weeks. That means at least a month till they get to me. That's ok- exactly what I figured it would be. I'm guessing they don't sell many of these and thus don't stock them.

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the bars from UPS today- very heavy construction and nice chrome. I'll try to get a pic up later showing what came in the package. This picture showing fastpek's bike shows how they don't seem to interfere with forward controls. Haven't ordered the L&R forwards yet, have to wait for more mod $$ to accumulate first.

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19785&d=1269365149

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Um, did you see the links? Anyway, there is a piece that goes between the upper mounts- looks to make it one solid unit across the top- goes behind the radiator and frame, I think.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sandman- You have an R correct with floorboards? I am waiting to see the results of this. I hope it works. If it does I will be ordering the bar also. I already have the L&R forwards on my R. Thanks for keeping us all updated on this:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually, it's a N, but has the exact same floorboard setup of the R.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing more of these. My original plan was to buy these but the extra $70 I saved was kinda crucial at the time. Now, I scrape my guards at hard lean and my MC bars are already rusting (had for less than a year.) Time to start saving up for new crash guards...

Can highway pegs be feasibly mounted on these? Or are they too high to make it comfy?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing more of these. My original plan was to buy these but the extra $70 I saved was kinda crucial at the time. Now, I scrape my guards at hard lean and my MC bars are already rusting (had for less than a year.) Time to start saving up for new crash guards...

Can highway pegs be feasibly mounted on these? Or are they too high to make it comfy?
No they are not made for highway pegs, unless you are a ballet dancer:cool:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
What about those that have a built in offset? Could you put them straight down then?

I can't answer this. I also wonder if the diameter is correct. I think you better install other forward controls like I did. I can put my heels on the controls when I am in the highway situation.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts