Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay query, what brand and why?
I wonder if the ones that bolt to frame with U bolts are more stable than bolting behind radiator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wonder if the ones that bolt to frame with U bolts are more stable than bolting behind radiator.
I went with paladin p4012. They seem real solid and I like the crash bar not going/bolting under the fork. Not as badass style wise but functional? I have a 1300C

Attachments

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
I' too, have the National Cycle Paladins for my 1800 C. I love them. I wanted the Cobra Fatties for mine, for the extra thickness and crash protection, but they were not made for the 1800 C. I read a lot, and studied the various models available 10 years ago, and decided the Paladins were the best solution for me. Very sturdy. I decided after reading that putting extra strain on the radiator mounting bolts was not a good thing. That eliminated a few brands that likely are no longer made anyway.

Reactions: Merry Prankster

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recall back in the day on the board, some one showed a set of nice bars and they had extra bars on them like ribs.
They even wrapped back a bit if I recall.
Was the way I was leaning.
TYVM

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
I recall back in the day on the board, some one showed a set of nice bars and they had extra bars on them like ribs.
They even wrapped back a bit if I recall.
Was the way I was leaning.
TYVM
The times being what they are, for a bike thats been out of production for 15-20 years, and the corresponding aftermarket drying up, your options are going to be very limited going forward.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The times being what they are, for a bike thats been out of production for 15-20 years, and the corresponding aftermarket drying up, your options are going to be very limited going forward.
Yes, that is true, and I have mine thankfully. A ONE OWNER... ME>...
I am sure these were custom made.
If I only new people like that....

·
Old Goat
26,941 Posts
Im sure others will argue….but I didnt get my Paladins expecting them to protect anything other than slow speed fubars …or in my case couple of drops…..good luck on your choice….

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
I did a lot of research on various highway bars, and decided on National Cycle Paladin bars for my 1300 VTX. I was impressed that they are not 'universal fit' but are custom designed for each model motorcycle for best fit/function. I was mostly impressed that they are designed specifically designed to fit, so they aren't going to hit in a lean before you hit your foot-pegs or floorboard. The Cobra Fatty bars are thicker metal, (1, 1/2, compared to 1, 1/4) so they are potentially more stout, but on previous forum discussions there were several riders who said they experienced them touching down in a leaning turn, where those with the Paladin bar didn't experience this. I personally didn't want to risk hitting the bottom of my crashbar in a hard leaning turn, so I went with the Paladin bars.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle

Critical engineering procedures and real world on-the-road testing are part of the continuous design process for all our products. Paladin® Highway Bars are no exception. Each set of Highway Bars is a custom fit to your exact model of motorcycle. From bike to bike, considerations such as floorboards, foot controls, and cornering clearances are just a few of the details why Paladin Highway Bars are designed specifically to your bike.

The thick walled, 1.25" tubing is heavily chrome plated to National Cycle’s industry-leading standards. Paladin Highway Bars are perfect for clamp-on highway pegs. And, in the event of a bike tip-over, they may help protect the bike’s finish and components.
Source: P4010 Paladin® Highway Bars for Honda® VTX1800N/R/S

Attachments

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Im sure others will argue….but I didnt get my Paladins expecting them to protect anything other than slow speed fubars …or in my case couple of drops…..good luck on your choice….
I'm pretty sure the manufactures will all disavow any claims of their bars saving your bike from any damage. In fact the National Cycle Paladins simply say: " in the event of a bike tip-over, they may help protect the bike’s finish and components." (emphasis mine). That being said, I have read of riders swearing that "crash bars" saved their foot or leg in a crash because they prevented the bike from pinning their leg/foot against pavement in a slide.

·
Old Goat
26,941 Posts
I'm pretty sure the manufactures will all disavow any claims of their bars saving your bike from any damage. In fact the National Cycle Paladins simply say: " in the event of a bike tip-over, they may help protect the bike’s finish and components." (emphasis mine). That being said, I have read of riders swearing that "crash bars" saved their foot or leg in a crash because they prevented the bike from pinning their leg/foot against pavement in a slide.
Anything other than what I posted would be considered a bonus…lol

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
I went with these from Bikebeauty in the UK. Very happy with them . Cost about $205 + shipping. View attachment 209275
Personally I would not buy these, but if you're happy thats all that matters. I do not like the way these attach, and I feel they would not do as well in a crash as others, but they are better than nothing.

Reactions: Merry Prankster
1 - 13 of 13 Posts