Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOT my VTX

crashed my Bicycle today..

headed to work today on my bicycle, hmming along at 30-32mph, took a slight right on a bend on the road I take as I do every day I commute, and then............ wipe out. down for the count.

apparently some car puked oil or antifreeze all over the road and as I hit the curve the front tire grabbed the slick and it went one way and I went the other.
mashed the pedal and bent the crank arm on right side, broke off the right side brake lever, and I think the derailleur is toast as I can't shift. snapped off my bottle cage and my gps tracker (tracker ok, just the mount that broke), lost the headlight as well.

managed to limp the the last 4 miles to work, wife has to come get me with the truck and bike rack tonight.
I had my weeks worth of lunches and snacks in my panier and it all got smashed to dust, though I suspect it actually saved the back of the bike from further damage acting as a nice cushion.

elbows and knees road rashed, as well as my knuckles since I was wearing fingerless gloves.

Got up and out of traffic quickly, L.A. County Sheriff on the other side of the road, saw the crash, and just kept going, didn't even bother to check on me. Nor did any driver on that road. Gawd I hate people.. If that had been me I would and have pulled over and at least made sure the person wasn't injured.

·
Registered
946 Posts
NOT my VTX

Got up and out of traffic quickly, L.A. County Sheriff on the other side of the road, saw the crash, and just kept going, didn't even bother to check on me. Nor did any driver on that road. Gawd I hate people.. If that had been me I would and have pulled over and at least made sure the person wasn't injured.
Glad you are okay. I wonder if that cop encountered an accident with the person not moving just laying there would have done anything.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Sorry to hear, but all things considered, you were lucky. No breaks or major injuries. Heal well. Then back on the saddle.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Glad you're okay.

Sign of the times. While there are still many good people out there, there is way too much apathy put there. Too few care at all about their neighbors.

Out for a ride the other day. Go past a guy with a bike at the side of the road, kinda looking lost. Flipped around, went back to see if I could help. He was on the phone via Bluetooth. We spoke and he couldn't believe someone would stop just to see if he were okay. I told him that if I were in trouble I'd appreciate it so it's a few minutes out of my day, and I met someone new. Everyone wins! I may never see him again, but maybe the next time he goes by someone at the side of the road looking lost, he pulls over to see if he can help.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Hard way to start the day. Glad to hear you're ok.

Most of the general motoring public doesn't care about other people anymore. They slow down and rubber neck at an accident, as if they enjoy the sight of someone else's misfortune.
sad but true.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Glad you're okay.

Sign of the times. While there are still many good people out there, there is way too much apathy put there. Too few care at all about their neighbors.

Out for a ride the other day. Go past a guy with a bike at the side of the road, kinda looking lost. Flipped around, went back to see if I could help. He was on the phone via Bluetooth. We spoke and he couldn't believe someone would stop just to see if he were okay. I told him that if I were in trouble I'd appreciate it so it's a few minutes out of my day, and I met someone new. Everyone wins! I may never see him again, but maybe the next time he goes by someone at the side of the road looking lost, he pulls over to see if he can help.
And check to see if there's a Gremlin Bell, LOL!

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
Glad you're okay.

As a mechanic (and many other reasons) I am a complete idiot , but I still stop to offer any help I could possibly give.

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
As a mechanic (and many other reasons) I am a complete idiot , but I still stop to offer any help I could possibly give.
I think part of everyone's logic these days is EVERYONE has a cell phone to call or text for help. The problem with that logic is sometimes spotty or non-existent coverage!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glad you are only bruised, could have gotten broken bones or worse so consider yourself lucky. Its better to look at the bright side, sorry people are a$$holes but there are still some good people. Hope you heal quickly and get your bike fixed.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Bad news: you wiped out and trashed the bike some.
Good news: you are okay and will recover.
It could have been ugly as far as potential collisions with other vehicles. That's what scares me most on (motor) bikes. People texting, not seeing a rider go down in front of them and happily trampling over them.
Be safe and "don't do it again". :D

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Bad news: you wiped out and trashed the bike some.
Good news: you are okay and will recover.
It could have been ugly as far as potential collisions with other vehicles. That's what scares me most on (motor) bikes. People texting, not seeing a rider go down in front of them and happily trampling over them.
Be safe and "don't do it again". :D
Glad you're OK and it wasn't your motorcycle. People underestimate the dangers of bicycle riding these days. If you say you're going to get a motorcycle they freak out, if you say you're going to start riding a bicycle it's all positive reinforcement. I've personally know two people who've died by being hit on a bicycle, and I know zero who've died being hit on a motorcycle.

Stay frosty...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I've named my pedal bike Christine bc she is clearly out to kill me. More accidents on her than all my Xs combined.

Thanks for the not s gently reminder that threats loom everywhere.

May I suggest a ride bell?;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I crashed my bicycle about ten years ago riding down the asphalt driveway and slipped on a patch or horse manure. I went down so fast that I didn't know anything until I picked myself up off the ground. Smashed the mirror glass. No obvious damage to me because I must have hit my head on the ground. I was a bit numb-brained for an hour or so. Not sure that I've fully recovered.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've named my pedal bike Christine bc she is clearly out to kill me. More accidents on her than all my Xs combined.

Thanks for the not s gently reminder that threats loom everywhere.

May I suggest a ride bell?;)
lol, someone want to send me one? I would be happy to add it to the bike, considering I top out at 40+ mph on it in some areas on my commute. 9% downhill grade for 2.5 miles is fun as hell, until you hit an oil slick.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Ouch. Hate to read this story but glad to hear it wasn’t worse. I had a similar event on my Neo when a diesel slick cause me to hit the pavement at pretty low speed. The amazing thing (at least to me) was that my bike stayed upright in the banked right turn, leaning left on the Palladin engine guard.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
NOT my VTX

headed to work today on my bicycle, hmming along at 30-32mph, took a slight right on a bend on the road I take as I do every day I commute, and then............ wipe out. down for the count.

apparently some car puked oil or antifreeze all over the road and as I hit the curve the front tire grabbed the slick and it went one way and I went the other.
mashed the pedal and bent the crank arm on right side, broke off the right side brake lever, and I think the derailleur is toast as I can't shift. snapped off my bottle cage and my gps tracker (tracker ok, just the mount that broke), lost the headlight as well.

managed to limp the the last 4 miles to work, wife has to come get me with the truck and bike rack tonight.
I had my weeks worth of lunches and snacks in my panier and it all got smashed to dust, though I suspect it actually saved the back of the bike from further damage acting as a nice cushion.

elbows and knees road rashed, as well as my knuckles since I was wearing fingerless gloves.

on the other hand, if the cop put his lights and siren on, pulled a quick u-turn, raced over to you blocking traffic ...then a news reporter was close by started shooting... you could have been labeled the town retard on the evening news :oops:

Cop may have done you a favor 😁

1 - 20 of 29 Posts