Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the tire on last night. Looks pretty good, feels kind of wierd. When rolling back on the trottle coming out of as corner, it feels like the rear in is shifting. I won't say sliding, but shifting. I need some idea of where to start with air pressure (started with 40-now 44) and any other thing that might come to mind. Thanks everybody

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
Hmmm....didn't notice that with mine. Which bike is it? Don't think that matters, but wondering.

I'm running 42 in the rear and 38 in the front. No issues and it sure isn't shifting.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I've got an 02 retro and I put thirty ieght in the rear and forty in the front. The only "bad" thing I've noticed is moving slow and come across the ruts in the road. 8)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by shifting. However, it will set you back up straight quicker when coming out of the lean.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I think shifting is a good word for it, I felt the same thing for the 1st hundred miles or so but don't notice it now (have about 300 miles on my CT). I also noticed this "shifting" when I did swerving patterns when the tire was brand new, but this too has mellowed out quite a bit (I don't think I've gotten used to it, I think the tire has started to break in). Counter steer is much relaxed now as well. Be careful and take your time breakin' it in (my 2 cent).

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 1300r and have the 165r15 tire on it. When I go on trottle it feels like the rear end moves to the out side of the corner an inch or two and then stop. If I roll all the way though the corner I never feel it. I know in my mind it not going to break loose, but its kind of a weird feeling.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Not to start the darkside argument, but It does intrigue me, although I doubt I will ever switch to one on my VTX. Maybe its just from the squareness of the CT where it meets the sidewall. Now I dont have a CT never rode a bike with one either. But id imagine that since on a turn your riding on that outside edge of the CT maybe the tire is squirming a little as you ride on that particular tread pattern generally designed to channel water out from the car. I guess it will wear in some for you and well as take a lil time to get used to.
but again , this is just my un-justified opinion based on the design of a CT

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
tucan said:
I got the tire on last night. Looks pretty good, feels kind of wierd. When rolling back on the trottle coming out of as corner, it feels like the rear in is shifting. I won't say sliding, but shifting. I need some idea of where to start with air pressure (started with 40-now 44) and any other thing that might come to mind. Thanks everybody

Tucan,

When tires are new....there is a mold release on them. You need to take it easy till they get scuffed. You need to do this even with motorcycle tires.

It will take a little longer with a car tire but NOT too much longer.

......................twin

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
The 165 you are using on the 1300 tends to hinge effect just a tad. I rode one I installed on a friends bike and noticed the dilema you're talking about. Make sure to keep your pressure up around 44 in the rear and you'll get used to it real quick. My friend (BigD74) has said he won't go back. Back in the early days of guys putting the 200 Metz on the 1800's they had the same feeling/issue :wink:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I've had the same sensation, it's almost the same as the driveshaft lash you feel if you get on it in a lower gear going in a straight line, I lose no traction or grip, you just feel it when you hit it coming out of a curve. It happens even with 2up. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I'm running 40lbs.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
mick114 said:
I've had the same sensation, it's almost the same as the driveshaft lash you feel if you get on it in a lower gear going in a straight line, I lose no traction or grip, you just feel it when you hit it coming out of a curve. It happens even with 2up. Oh yeah, almost forgot, I'm running 40lbs.
Because of the added load of two or not.....the traction of the darkside is better than a M/T......it sounds like you need to adjust your shocks. Just a thought.

Try it and let me know what it does.

.....................twin

·
Registered
827 Posts
I ride an 1800 Retro 02' model with 42lbs in the rear and 40lbs of air in the front with no feeling of what you have described. My opinion is that you just need to put some miles on it and enjoy!

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
I thought I might come back here and remind you to also check your shock bushings. The one I put a 165 on had bad shock bushings. He got the poly bushings from Gary and said it really help also.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Just a thought here now we are on the darkside times two! Funny how I am seeing folks saying that a motorcycle tire on the front of a trike just isn't right as its not being used with the lean of a motorcycle... I have yet to see anyone try a ct on the front though of a trike.

Any thoughts about this?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
wildabouthorses said:
Just a thought here now we are on the darkside times two! Funny how I am seeing folks saying that a motorcycle tire on the front of a trike just isn't right as its not being used with the lean of a motorcycle... I have yet to see anyone try a ct on the front though of a trike.

Any thoughts about this?
how about a 1964 Falcon front tire (or at least that type) ;)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
X-Cessor said:
wildabouthorses said:

Any thoughts about this?
A 1964 Falcon type would not be compatible! That would be a bias belted tire, not a radial! 8)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
VTX Candy Red said:
[quote="X-Cessor":19aybjcd]
wildabouthorses said:

Any thoughts about this?
A 1964 Falcon type would not be compatible! That would be a bias belted tire, not a radial! 8) [/quote:19aybjcd]

Very good... was testing you... you pass :)

See folks, valid info and sound advice. :lol: :wink:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.