Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...finally got ur done. Had to do it myself but it is working out good so far. Had quite a time getting the booger to seed to the rim (psi 115 and had to drive the bike on the back roads hitting every bump along the way. I'm not recommending this technique, however it worked for me). Went with the 205/65/15 Potenza 950 with innertube. My observation is the same as other Darksiders including a break in period being some what awkward in the turns then after a couple hundred miles, enjoying the twisties more and more. I've got pics of my new application for the worn out dumblap WWW but can't seem to get them to load due to file size,pic dimentions etc. Any help would be appreciated. Now I want to make my Potenza a white wall. I remember seeing a website of some guy in Europe who offers a white wall kit (usable for restoring classic cars, VTX's etc to their original glory). I can't find it anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for everyones tips along the way. I'm a happy camper! :D

·
Registered
9,553 Posts
HHMMMM 8) Did you use the stock size inner tube?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I'm using the standard size MT inntertube. I took my spare tube and added air, I stopped filling it when it was 1 1/2 time the size of the Potenza. Wasn't tight at that point so figured it would beable to fill the "volume" of the tire.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
A term

Actually it is 'seat' on the rim- not 'seed'.
Glad it is working for you and welcome to the darkside. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NDAna you again...hehehe. And I was blissfully ignorant. Potato/pototoe...did you notice I used the word volume correctly? :lol:
Give me an "A" for effort, Thanks for the welcome...seed/seat...gotta remember that one! -Chuck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Chuck Jones said:
Well...finally got ur done. Had to do it myself but it is working out good so far. Had quite a time getting the booger to seed to the rim (psi 115 and had to drive the bike on the back roads hitting every bump along the way. I'm not recommending this technique, however it worked for me). Went with the 205/65/15 Potenza 950 with innertube. My observation is the same as other Darksiders including a break in period being some what awkward in the turns then after a couple hundred miles, enjoying the twisties more and more. I've got pics of my new application for the worn out dumblap WWW but can't seem to get them to load due to file size,pic dimentions etc. Any help would be appreciated. Now I want to make my Potenza a white wall. I remember seeing a website of some guy in Europe who offers a white wall kit (usable for restoring classic cars, VTX's etc to their original glory). I can't find it anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for everyones tips along the way. I'm a happy camper! :D
Another one goes over - how foolish.
Car tire on a bike w/ a tube?????????????? Smart.

·
Registered
711 Posts
115psi yikes

115 PSI Yikes! It takes a lot less pressure than that to crack a cast rim. Good thing yours is steel.

That guy who was selling the Whitewall paint was from Greenland. Since your using a car tire maybe you can use a "Portawall"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/15-White ... 4838QQrdZ1

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Sorry- thought I'd PM'd that to you. Was NOT trying to correct or embarrass in a public forum. :oops:

·
Registered
782 Posts
MCLAREN said:
Chuck Jones said:
Another one goes over - how foolish.
Car tire on a bike w/ a tube?????????????? Smart.
Better than being dumb.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NDAna I was just playin' don't worry I can take it :D actually I appreciate the correction (this is all new lingo to me)!

GWY Thanks for posting the site, I wasn't aware there was such a thing (portawall). I'll have to check it out. I'm still interested in learning more about the whitewall paint as well if anyone can recall where his site is.

MCLAREN wrote "Car tire on a bike w/ a tube?????????????? Smart."
I know...I know... how did I even think of that :roll: Anyway thanks for the compliment, I think I'm going to use it. Ride on - Smart
"Smart" ...short but I like it! :lol:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did a google on white wall paint and found the site on the first try. Gee..now I really feel smart :lol:

[email protected]

This guy is from Iceland! That's the place that is very green apposed to Greenland that is nothing but Ice. Word-to-the-wise. :wink:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Darn

Darn it, wrong again. :lol:

Goldberg, Iceberg what's the difference.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I hope that tire has a 67000,000000 treadware rating...I would hate to have to take it off.....Oh and watch out for nails.....No plugging that one..

See Me MATT

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
240 spoke said:
I hope that tire has a 67000,000000 treadware rating...I would hate to have to take it off.....Oh and watch out for nails.....No plugging that one..

See Me MATT
I hear ya, I'm not looking forward to mounting a new one anytime soon (unless I make this one a white wall, that would be worth it). I also want to take it off and check for any ware on the tube etc after a thousand or so miles.
I'm not lookin' forward to that either but now that I've done it once, it may be easier the 2nd time. We'll see

I've got a little over 300 miles on it right now. You don't have to tell me I'm an idiot (I know), but I pass a HD sportster on the way home tonight going 85. He wanted to play, had a girl on the back to boot. I let him pass me , gave him a little distance, down shifted into 4th, passed him going ...way too fast, made some distance and gave him the after burner treatment (back to 4th). I gave him a thumbs up on my way off the exit ramp, I'm not sure what he gave me but it did not involve a thumb. I didn't feel any wobble, vibration or anything unsettling out of the tire. What I did feel was more stability during exhilaration and cornering off the exit.

These are just my observations.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I,ve got the c/t on my spoke also ,
seems we're the only ones ! lol
I got the Goodyear TripleTread 205/65/15
mounting wasnt too bad .
I really like it so far .
My question is this: I hear a tube in a steelbelted radial causes too much heat. and will shred the tube . Is this true ????

·
Registered
124 Posts
whitewalls and spokes

Just saw this post and had to reply. I'm in the process of going to the darkside as well. I recently bought a 165R15 tire and have made it a whitewall. It looks really good but it's not mounted yet so we will see how it looks once I get it on the bike. I used a trick I saw on another site that used krylon fusion paint after sanding the tire with 80 grit sandpaper. The paint appears to be fused to the tire pretty well. You would have a hard time scratching it off with your fingernail, I tried just to see if it was really on there or just a cover, if you know what I mean. I'm also going to try and make the rim tubeless with another trick I read on-line. I'll let everyone know how that goes. Once I get everything mounted and ready I will try and post some pictures of the process. I have the shots of the original tire, during sanding and after the paint. I just want to get the shot of the tire on the bike and the rim preparation to complete the pictures. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.