Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I'm using the VTX throttle sleeves the Valk grips will be sliding on to the same location as the VTX stock grips. (and the added length will be made up with the provided spacers.............so any measuring to drill my internal wire holes should be made using the stock measurements. Am I thinking right on this?

Also in relation to the switch housings, where exactly should I drill and what size bit is commonly used to feed the wires internally?

I'd appreciate any info/suggestions.

Eric

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
If you're using something like the Barons "Extreme" Bars, they provide a location to route your wires. For new holes, I figure 1/2 inch would work pretty well.

Chicago-Spike has pics of his bike with holes for both the electrics and the hydraulic hoses. You might look around for that thread.

·
Registered
841 Posts
The switch housings have posts that will need to fit into holes that are - in almost every case when you're buying bars made specifically for the VTX - predrilled in the bars. The position of the holes for your internal wiring will be predicated by the position of your switch housings - which is fixed. I drilled my holes (1/2" if I remember right) so that they were covered by the switch housings, but did not interfere with the operation of the switches.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Ericthered said:
So since I'm using the VTX throttle sleeves the Valk grips will be sliding on to the same location as the VTX stock grips. (and the added length will be made up with the provided spacers.............so any measuring to drill my internal wire holes should be made using the stock measurements. Am I thinking right on this?

Also in relation to the switch housings, where exactly should I drill and what size bit is commonly used to feed the wires internally?

I'd appreciate any info/suggestions.

Eric
You're right about the grips, no change there. As for location, I drill between the switch housing and the reservoir mounting clamp. Bit size is different for each side... Unfortunately I can't recall the sizes I used...

Here you go:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... ght=wiring

The archives are a wonderful thing! :wink:

Dark Star (Gino) helped me when I did my first set, he was a great asset. :wink:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woot, 3D, and Bare, Thanks for your replies! :) I'm just trying to get all my issues clear in my head with my one-off custom bars before I start hacking on them. I was thinking of pre-drilling everything before powdercoat. I still have much work to do and I'm taking my time.

Bare, I appreciate the link, I'm trying to get better at using the "search". I've done some researching but, sometimes its nice to get some confirmation from someone else. I am curious as to why you choose to drill between the housing and clamp.

Well, I guess I'll make myself a drink and go out to my shop and ponder for awhile 8)

Eric

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Ericthered said:
Woot, 3D, and Bare, Thanks for your replies! :) I'm just trying to get all my issues clear in my head with my one-off custom bars before I start hacking on them. I was thinking of pre-drilling everything before powdercoat. I still have much work to do and I'm taking my time.

Bare, I appreciate the link, I'm trying to get better at using the "search". I've done some researching but, sometimes its nice to get some confirmation from someone else. I am curious as to why you choose to drill between the housing and clamp.

Well, I guess I'll make myself a drink and go out to my shop and ponder for awhile 8)

Eric
The only reason I found that thread was because I remembered it, hehe - it was an old one.
Make sure you drill and clean up all the edges with a dremel so there are no sharp edges anywhere, I already made that mistake once. :roll:

As for location, it is possible to do it inside the switch housings but I didn't like the angle it put the wires at, it was too sharp for my tastes and I was worried about wire chafing and potential problems as a result. I have seen it done inside the housing though, so it's up to you. :wink:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Bareass172 said:
As for location, it is possible to do it inside the switch housings but I didn't like the angle it put the wires at, it was too sharp for my tastes and I was worried about wire chafing and potential problems as a result. I have seen it done inside the housing though, so it's up to you. :wink:
I modified (sawed and filed/sanded) the metal retaining pieces inside the switch housings so that the wires make a very gentle bend into the bars - less than 90 degrees. Very easy to do with hacksaw or dremel.

And, one other thing if you decide to wire within the switch housing:

You know that plastic ring on the clutch-side switch housing, #4 in this picture? You have to put it on your bar BEFORE you run the clutch-side wires. I didn't :oops: I had to take a razor to cut the ring so that I could slip it back on. Not noticeable unless pointed out, but kinda bugged me in the "DOH! What was I thinking?" dept.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts