Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You've probably seen this or have this tail light chrome (actually plastic chrome) if you have a 1300 or 1800 Retro.

This is called a Highway Hawk TechGlide chromed taillight cover.

I ordered one and wanted to customize it a little more so I painted it using painters tape to tape off the parts I wanted left chrome. After several coats of primer and then a black satin, here is the result on my bike:

If you want to try this you can order this part from our sponsor here:

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=5751&str=13&ID=290242790

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
:thumbup:Good Job :thumbup:
I had been looking at those for a while. I had smoked lenses and decided to go with the Kuryakyn Triple Whammy and thought it would be a good match with my stock red tail light lens.
I was able to get one on eBay for $10.00 + $14.00 shipping:D

·
Old Goat
26,226 Posts
Looks good , its little things like that, that make em different. I thought about painting mine the color of the bike but if youve read any of my post you know Im lazy :dontknow:. have a good one

·
Registered
193 Posts
Looks fancy. I like it. Maybe just a small smiley sticker on the chrome part at the top. :joke:

·
Registered
885 Posts
You've probably seen this or have this tail light chrome (actually plastic chrome) if you have a 1300 or 1800 Retro.

This is called a Highway Hawk TechGlide chromed taillight cover.

I ordered one and wanted to customize it a little more so I painted it using painters tape to tape off the parts I wanted left chrome. After several coats of primer and then a black satin, here is the result on my bike:

If you want to try this you can order this part from our sponsor here:

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=5751&str=13&ID=290242790

Looks Sweet! Just wish they were producing 1 for the "C" model with the "V"s" in it!

·
Registered
885 Posts

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the thumbs up!

I'm going for a black and red theme on my bike, so I'm going to paint more as time permits. Next project is to paint the rear swing arm hub black.

I'm learning that to paint so it will withstand years and look nice, it takes multiple coats and lots of wet sanding between coats. I probably put 16 hours into that tail light cover so the black will not easily chip and has a smooth finish. UGH! :roll:

Worth the effort though. . . :doorag:

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Very nice, I did something similar to the chrome spark plug covers...Click on the profile picture to see it better...I got the paint from autozone, it paints right over chrome with no sanding just prep with some acutone...It really holds up good no chipping so far and its been on for almost a year....It also comes in a few more colors....

have a good day...

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
Very nice, I did something similar to the chrome spark plug covers...Click on the profile picture to see it better...I got the paint from autozone, it paints right over chrome with no sanding just prep with some acutone...It really holds up good no chipping so far and its been on for almost a year....It also comes in a few more colors....

have a good day...
Which paint was it?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Which paint was it?
If I remember correct it's called metalcast...It's made to paint right over chrome like a transparent, in other words it is a red chrome look...Several colors are avaliable..

When you buy the color you want find a piece of chrome that you're not using for a test...Real easy to apply just follow the can instructions..

hope this helps..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts