Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Customs Officer Shoots 2 Teens After Attack, Kills 1
http://lawofficer.com/news/customs-officer-shoots-2-teens-after-attack-kills-1/

The teen who was killed was identified by family as 15-year-old Darius Smith. The boy’s mother Reshawna Myricks said she cannot believe he’d be involved in a robbery.
She said the officer should have fired warning shots — instead of aiming at the boys.
“It’s not right. And I want to know what happened because the story you said ain’t the truth,” Myricks said. “The crazy part is they let you walk on … my baby is not walking on no more.”

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
*sigh*...Another young man who was just getting ready to get his life together (after the mugging, of course) was killed because some idiot person with a gun decided he didn't want to get the chit beat out of him and lose his personal items to three assailants. :roll: And a grieving mother who didn't have a clue where her boy was, seems to think there should have been 'warning shots' from the person being attacked, while having a gun pointed at him. Yep....three on one, plus a gun...that's an even fight.

{{{{{Sarcasm off}}}}}

The mother(s) should be charged with child neglect.

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And Darius was the one with the gun!

Madness.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
This is a recurring event. Why is it every kid that gets shot during a crime is innocent?

I am a firm believer in "Stop or I'll shoot!" is all the warning shot anyone should get ... especially if they are in the act of perpetrating a crime. Yes, I honestly believe the kid knew, at least at some level, that he was doing something wrong. I really do feel for the Mother, she's more obtuse than the kid. In fact, though, she needs to look at herself and examine how she had her kid killed, not at the guy who pulled the trigger to defend himself. Fact is that parents fail their kids every day, and then blame others for their failure. Raisaing kids isn't easy, but it's clear that a 15 year old that carries a gun in an act of criminal violence is no pillar of society.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
This is a recurring event. Why is it every kid that gets shot during a crime is innocent?

I am a firm believer in "Stop or I'll shoot!" is all the warning shot anyone should get ... especially if they are in the act of perpetrating a crime. Yes, I honestly believe the kid knew, at least at some level, that he was doing something wrong. I really do feel for the Mother, she's more obtuse than the kid. In fact, though, she needs to look at herself and examine how she had her kid killed, not at the guy who pulled the trigger to defend himself. Fact is that parents fail their kids every day, and then blame others for their failure. Raising kids isn't easy, but it's clear that a 15 year old that carries a gun in an act of criminal violence is no pillar of society.
Actually, it's SHOOT and they're more likely to stop... Particularly if you actually hit a few of them!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Actually, it's SHOOT and they're more likely to stop... Particularly if you actually hit a few of them!
And this is why her baby is not walking anymore. Such is the consequence of stupid!

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
And this is why her baby is not walking anymore. Such is the consequence of stupid!
Naaah. I believe it was his choice to become a robber that provides the reason.

And yeah, I know we are actually pretty much in agreement. But I am serious when I say that "warnings" of any kind are superfluous when it comes to confronting an armed robber. It might be considered harsh by some, but I fully support a sequence of:

a) Robber pulls a gun..
b) He is instantly shot dead. Period. Don't care if it is a citizen, a shop owner or a cop, but if the robber is put down INSTANTLY, then I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
... Raising kids isn't easy...
I totally agree. The question is, if this is the case, why is it that so many of that demographic choose to have 6 or 7? Usually with 6 or 7 difference fathers! She probably had to think for a while whether or not poor Darius was actually one of hers. Poor kid out for a quiet stroll with a hand gun pointed at someone's head. Please!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Naaah. I believe it was his choice to become a robber that provides the reason.

And yeah, I know we are actually pretty much in agreement. But I am serious when I say that "warnings" of any kind are superfluous when it comes to confronting an armed robber. It might be considered harsh by some, but I fully support a sequence of:

a) Robber pulls a gun..
b) He is instantly shot dead. Period. Don't care if it is a citizen, a shop owner or a cop, but if the robber is put down INSTANTLY, then I'm okay with it.
You make a good point, unfortunately I fear it's just not that cut and dried. In cases where the criminal and gun are properly identified, then hell yeah! It's when there are cases not quite so clear, and an innocent kid really does get dusted. Then what? Wrong place wrong time? I'm sure that doesn't happen nearly as often as some would make us believe, however, when it's a mistaken shot taken, and it's my kid at the other end ... I dunno if I could live with that. And that's the problem with your "b)" part of your statement. Whenever humans are involved, sometimes much is open to interpretation, and in those cases, mistakes get made and innocent people get dead.

All of that said, I do get your frustration with all of this. Kids are growing up with little or no appreciation for life in general, nor for any consequence. It is beyond me how a 15 year old kid can carry a gun, well prepared to kill anyone for any reason. Such cold resolve, complete lack on conscience, has never been a part of my life, so it about scares the bjesus outta me.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
You make a good point, unfortunately I fear it's just not that cut and dried. In cases where the criminal and gun are properly identified, then hell yeah! It's when there are cases not quite so clear, and an innocent kid really does get dusted. Then what? Wrong place wrong time? I'm sure that doesn't happen nearly as often as some would make us believe, however, when it's a mistaken shot taken, and it's my kid at the other end ... I dunno if I could live with that. And that's the problem with your "b)" part of your statement. Whenever humans are involved, sometimes much is open to interpretation, and in those cases, mistakes get made and innocent people get dead.

All of that said, I do get your frustration with all of this. Kids are growing up with little or no appreciation for life in general, nor for any consequence. It is beyond me how a 15 year old kid can carry a gun, well prepared to kill anyone for any reason. Such cold resolve, complete lack on conscience, has never been a part of my life, so it about scares the bjesus outta me.
Harkon...I get what you're saying, I really do. However, 95% of the time, no average, law abiding citizen with a CCW is going to be able to "properly identify" whether a person with a gun is a criminal or another innocent CCW within 10 to 15 seconds. Especially if they are caught off guard. Even many police officers won't be able to assess it totally. This is why one must always be ready and be in a yellow mindset, assessing their surroundings, noticing other people, being aware of who is around, what they're wearing, etc., etc. It's not a given...one must train themselves to evaluate things like this and do their best in being ready to defend themselves at all times. Never allow yourself to become complacent.

Kids toting guns are getting younger and younger, they have been for years. They're being taught this by other thug adults...or even parents. You're right...there are situations where an innocent kid is killed because a person or police officer didn't assess a situation fast enough or got tunnel vision and didn't see the situation for what it truly was. The Tamir Rice case is a prime example of just that. But then, as a police officer or a private citizen, if a kid points a gun at you, whether its real or not, one is going to either act, or react, to that perceived threat in some way. Usually, it results in someone being shot.

I hope I'm never in a situation like that, and I ask God, in His Grace & Mercy, to lead my footsteps away from circumstances like that. However, I am also not naive enough to believe it couldn't happen. I trust, but am also always ready.

Sorry...didn't mean to ramble. Just casting some thoughts...

·
Registered
25,836 Posts
He was already being assaulted, from behind, as cowards are wont to do.

''...reports that an off-duty US Customs and Border Patrol agent was taking the train to his home in Arcadia, CA just northeast of LA last Friday. He got off the train and three teenagers followed him. 15-year-old Darius Smith (pictured), his cousin, and another teenager launched a surprise attack on the federal agent. One of teens hit the agent in the head from behind, while another pointed a gun demanding money and valuables...''

''...
Smith ended up dying in the hospital on Saturday. The cousin is expected to survive his wounds. The other teenager was later apprehended. The two surviving ‘lil thugs face charges of robbery and assault. Police found a weapon at the scene, which turned out to be a realistic replica of a firearm. Yeah, these dumbasses not only tried to rob a federal agent, they did it with a fake gun.

As you can imagine the mother of Darius Smith, the teen who was killed, thinks her precious little angel “dindu nuffin.”

“Them boys didn’t do that. They aren’t those type of boys to do that,” said Reshawna Myrics.

She then summed up the situation like this:

“They going to walk home, they’re going to see their kids tonight. I got to go back and tell my other three that one of them ain’t coming back no more,” Myrics said.

Translation: the agent who defended himself against her thug son gets to go home while she has to explain to her litter of children that she hasn’t been a very good mother.

She also had a message for the agent who shot her son:

“I’m hurt. I’m hurt! I’m hurt, I’m hurt. I’m hurt. You all robbed me to the core,” said Myrics.

Myrics questions the official story because it’s easier than believing that she failed as a parent.

“First, they said there was no crime committed. Now there is a crime committed. Now it’s a gun, then they said there was a fight. I don’t know what to believe. All I know is my baby gone and I’ll never know his story,” she said.

Actually the story has been very consistent since the beginning: her son and some other teens tried to rob a federal agent with a fake gun and were shot. Police say that the agent had bruising on his head that backed up his story the teens attacked him. They also believe that the teens were riding the train in the first place looking for a victim to rob.

https://downtrend.com/71superb/things-didnt-work-out-so-well-for-dumbass-who-tried-to-rob-a-federal-agent

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
If someone chooses to lay their hands on me or my wife, or attempts to take our belongings, or decides to enter our house at night,,,, I am a firm believer that they have given up their rights to a "stop or I'll shoot" or any warning shots. If someone chooses to break into my home at night, and I am home,,, someone is going to be buried. No warning shot,,,, no "shoot to wound",,,, if the situation arises where I need to draw my weapon,,, someone is probably going to die.
Just my opinion,,, and I'm sure some will disagree,,, but it works in our household.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
If someone chooses to lay their hands on me or my wife, or attempts to take our belongings, or decides to enter our house at night,,,, I am a firm believer that they have given up their rights to a "stop or I'll shoot" or any warning shots. If someone chooses to break into my home at night, and I am home,,, someone is going to be buried. No warning shot,,,, no "shoot to wound",,,, if the situation arises where I need to draw my weapon,,, someone is probably going to die.
Just my opinion,,, and I'm sure some will disagree,,, but it works in our household.
Yes, those are clear cases of one being well within their right to protect themselves or their home. I would never argue that. I guess my point is that there are so many cases where the circumstances are not quite so clear, and there is a risk someone innocent could get dead. BUT, I want to be clear that I agree with your assertions above. If one is sure that a person has intent to do / has done harm, then one gets his reward. But you can't be wrong in that assertion.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I'm with you 100% on the protection of myself and my family within my home. No "warning", either. They're going DOWN!! And if they keep getting up and coming after me or my family, they will go down PERMANENTLY.

Also, if you take any "security" or "defensive" training, you will be told, "Do NOT shoot to 'wound' nor go for a "head shot", because you increase your chances to MISS! You shoot to 'stop' the person from harming you or someone else, or being able to CONTINUE hurting you or someone else, and you shoot for the biggest part of them, PERIOD!" That usually means 2-3 shots, no more, directly into center-mass, or middle of the upper body, which, MOST of the time, is a "deadly" wound or a "shot to the heart". IF they continue to pose a "threat", THEN you can shoot them again, 2 or 3 times, until they are NOT a "threat" anymore. Once they're on the ground, crying and writhing in agony, and disarmed, they're not a "threat".

The fact that the kid had a "fake" gun really doesn't matter. The fact that they "ambushed" him, from BEHIND, shows what cowards they were, AND that they deserved what they got. When you're being beaten up, and EXPECT them to do you "harm", you are perfectly within your "right" to "defend yourself", which INCLUDES being able to "stop" them by any means necessary. Now, IF you continue beating the crap out of them or shooting them AFTER they have been "stopped" or are running away, and are no longer a "threat", THEN you have gone too far. That's what I believe, and what the law says.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Yes, those are clear cases of one being well within their right to protect themselves or their home. I would never argue that. I guess my point is that there are so many cases where the circumstances are not quite so clear, and there is a risk someone innocent could get dead. BUT, I want to be clear that I agree with your assertions above. If one is sure that a person has intent to do / has done harm, then one gets his reward. But you can't be wrong in that assertion.
Harkon - I agree with everything you said, EXCEPT -- if someone has broken into my house, or I find them inside and uninvited, I'm not going to wait to determine if they plan to cause me harm or not. The actions of coming into my home, have removed the "privilege" of receiving any hesitation or doubt on my part.....

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Harkon - I agree with everything you said, EXCEPT -- if someone has broken into my house, or I find them inside and uninvited, I'm not going to wait to determine if they plan to cause me harm or not. The actions of coming into my home, have removed the "privilege" of receiving any hesitation or doubt on my part.....
Agreed, what other reason for being in your house uninvited would there be? That would, reasonably, indicate intent to do harm. Up here the cops can enter with "reasonable" suspicion. It's not really been tested yet, but that does add a variable to the situation. That, of course, may not apply universally. Our family has more of an "open door" policy. In our case it could be a family member sneaking in to crash on the couch or something. We don't have firearms in our house and even if we did, they, by law, would need to be locked up, out of reach, firearm and ammo separated. Of course, things are different in my community, I don't even know anyone who has ever even had the occasion to necessitate using a firearm. If and when that time comes, I will have to make the appropriate preparations.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Agreed, what other reason for being in your house uninvited would there be? That would, reasonably, indicate intent to do harm. Up here the cops can enter with "reasonable" suspicion. It's not really been tested yet, but that does add a variable to the situation. That, of course, may not apply universally. Our family has more of an "open door" policy. In our case it could be a family member sneaking in to crash on the couch or something. We don't have firearms in our house and even if we did, they, by law, would need to be locked up, out of reach, firearm and ammo separated. Of course, things are different in my community, I don't even know anyone who has ever even had the occasion to necessitate using a firearm. If and when that time comes, I will have to make the appropriate preparations.
SOS, just another story with a good ending:grin2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts