Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to cut a little bigger curve in the wind screen and am looking for some input on "HOW TO" ? The idea is to leave the small fly screen on 24/7 and pop the biggie on without removing the fly screen
Anyone ever cut one of these?
If memory seves I have a Heavy Duty Touring windshield from Natonal Cycle????
THX
Drycreek

·
Registered
777 Posts
I want to cut a little bigger curve in the wind screen and am looking for some input on "HOW TO" ? The idea is to leave the small fly screen on 24/7 and pop the biggie on without removing the fly screen
Anyone ever cut one of these?
If memory seves I have a Heavy Duty Touring windshield from Natonal Cycle????
THX
Drycreek
I had success w/utilizing masking tape and jig saw. Remove shield and place on protected surface. Mask off area to be cut, be sure to use correct blade. After piece's are removed take a "fine" file to remove/cleanup excess and radius the edges. To finish up, lightly sand/blend areas to existing finish. Good luck, JD

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Excellent article! :agree:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Tape it and use a band saw.

sand to acceptable edge.

The acrylic is real forgiving, unlike the Plexiglass of old.

GT''

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lots of info

Good stuff guys, I now have a comfort zone.
I was worried about the "UNKNOWN" factors.
Sounds like a piece of cake
THX
Drycreek

·
Registered
315 Posts
Good stuff guys, I now have a comfort zone.
I was worried about the "UNKNOWN" factors.
Sounds like a piece of cake
THX
Drycreek
I had to lower my NC 2-up one inch. I used heavy paper, some thinner cardboard will work also, and masking taped it to the shield to trace it off the original contour on the paper, trimmed it with scissors, laid it back on the shield, lined it up 1 inch below the top, taped it again and used a fine point permanent marker to retrace the original contour off the paper onto the shield. Took a hand coping saw, put the shield on a table with a nice soft blanket under it and cut the top off. Didn't mask the shield at all. Just carefully start the cut and follow along the line and it's a piece of cake to do. When cutting install the saw blade at a 90 degree angle to the saw frame (that way the saw frame will clear the windshield) and angle your saw about 45 degrees when cutting. Cut the shield about 1/2 way around then cut the piece off, start the cut again and remove the other half. You can cut it all the way off as one piece but it's easier to deal with making 2 cuts to remove it. As you cut around hold the 2 seperated pieces behind the saw with your left hand supporting and keeping them lined up and cut with the right hand (if you are right handed that is). Then I took my 1/4 sheet electric hand sander and smoothed out the edge and rounded it some with 150 grit paper. Can't tell it was ever cut down. Whoever said the acrylic is very forgiving knows his acrylic. Just to test it I took the pieces I cut off and bent them into a pretzel and it won't crack or break. Amazing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
make sure you use a couple of layers of a good quality masking tape. the vibration of a sabre saw can rub through the tape and polishing out the resulting scratches is a pain. I used a fine file and then a speed block sander with progressively finer grits to smooth the edge. The resulting edge looks better than the origional.

good luck on your project. Take your time and you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When your done sanding with 1000gt. (I even went as far as 2000 with mine) take some plastic polish to the edge of it. Looks better than the factory edge.

·
Registered
315 Posts
One other point of interest if using a sabre saw with masking tape is the blade you are using and the speed you cut at. You can end up melting the windshield and creating a real mess when cutting if you use a blade with too fine a tooth especially cutting at a high speed. That's why I used a coping saw. You have full control of cutting. One other point on the sabre saw, depending on the tooth pitch on the blade, is that they can do anything from melting the shield at the cut or vibrating the shield badly and in that case 3 layers of masking tape won't help you. The base of the saw can go right through the tape and do a job on the shield you might not be able to recover from. Good luck and take your time doing it...don't get in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Forget the saber saw and the band saw. Mark where you want to cut with a felt tip marker. Then the tool of choice is a Metabo high speed grinder with a cut off blade(disc). Blue painters tape is optional .When you are finished cutting use a file to finish then some 100 grit sandpaper. You can do this with the shield still mounted on your bike . This takes about 45 min. to complete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts