Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, dumb question but i read on here last summer about how to cut down the rear shocks. I know Pony does them but Id rather do it myself and save some dough. Anyway I pulled the rear shock off last summer and attempted to take the shock apart after assembling the clamps to compress the shock. Anyway, I couldnt get that top eye of the shock to budge a bit. I'm pretty sure the thread said to unscrew the top of the shock. Is there something im missing here? :dontknow: Righty tighty lefty loosy .. right?-- I couldnt get it come apart so i just put it back on the bike. Any help would be appreciated. I have a 2005, 1300c.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
torch and balls bro......the threads have a sealant in them that melts away after you heat the top cap. even then i hope ya have the shock secured well because they're still a mutha to break loose. gotta be sure to keep the lock/jamb nut in the same place too when ya reinstall the cap. one wrench on the nut and one on the cap

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohh boy?.. Jam nut?-- The thread i read had me using a manifold exhaust clamps, 3 threaded rods and nuts. I dont remember a jam nut keeping the shock down. This is probably why i gave up last time!--LOL

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
PM Hick for a picture of his hand after trying to cut his shocks down. :popcorn:

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,175 Posts
I tried cutting down my shocks once and had some bad results almost lost a finger or three in the process but I was fortunate and just ended up with some good bruises and no cuts or missing appendage's. Not that your looking for advice but let someone who has done it before handle this one it's definately worth the money.

Hick has some pictures of his mishap he's posted in the past :yikes:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I don't warn anyone any longer. Nobody believes it will happen to them.
oh i believe bro....and hunter, there's a jamb nut under the top cap bro....like i said before.....2 wrenches needed and its better if the top wrench is longer so ya can get some leverage

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys, maybe it was devine intervention that stopped me last time. I dont feel like loosing any fingers. The wife would be really unhappy about that. Ill wait and think on it some more. Thanks for your help guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts