Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took a lot longer than my buddy "Dr.VTX" and I thought when we started, since we still are not done! Still have a Stebel horn to mount via pepsx bracket, bolt on/wire up a vtxcustom.com billet sideplate, install the HID setup I picked up from NDAna and get Glenns CPR insatalled. Wish I wasn't going out of town today till Sunday - I don't want to leave the bike on the stand without the project being done!

Here are a couple picts of the rear of the bike from stock to LED! Just as an FYI you can leave the final drive in place and your pipes (those sears craftsman ratcheting wrench's are great) to do this. Just cover everything up since your cutting the factory brackets off the bottom of the fender. Maybe it would of been easier to remove the fender like the instructions said - hmmm who follows all the directions??

Had the sideplate all ready to go but didn't know what sealant to use on the rear final bolts that will hold the ring in place. Got a text back from Mark_1bx this morning - blue locketite! You rock Mark -tks for getting back to me. We figured it was that and I had the tube ready to go, but wanted to make sure, also didn't want to call you at 0130 to confirm - lol.

Dr.VTX awesome job man - thanks for all the help destroying that rear fender - we had a rotozip and a dremel going to town under there! Man the finished product looks good.

Just need to reseat the stock rear brake light its a little off center and then everything should sit flush down below.

Thanks for reading my ramblings - I need some sleep.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know - I have hardly seen any out there and it look IMO freaking GREAT! I wish I wasn't going out of town so I could finish the sideplate at least.

I went with the clear rear with amber led's to match the Hicks Nudie Bar I installed up front - I think the two products really look great together.

Did you cut yours with the fender off the bike or up on a stand while laying on the floor. laying on the floor with it all flying back in your face is rather interesting - LOL

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.mbwmotorcycle.com/products/vtx.html

The above link and Picts tell you everything. MBW website has a good comparison video of their product vs cheap knockoffs. They use radiantz LEDs I believe...

I purchased it from custom dynamics website. Search online for discount code 10% off.

It mounts directly under the fender to the stock taillight assembly. Very easy install - as soon as you cut all the stock crap away.

Enjoy!
Posted via iPhone

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
I did the same mod for about 100 dollars without buying the MBW kit. Just sawed the license mount off, and attached a strip of sheet metal to the fender lip. Same look, but the lights alone are only $65.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the same mod for about 100 dollars without buying the MBW kit. Just sawed the license mount off, and attached a strip of sheet metal to the fender lip. Same look, but the lights alone are only $65.
Awesome man - I should of known to ask you before I pulled the trigger on the mbw. I'm not that handy or have a lot of tools to make one myself.

You should offer it up as a complete set matching front and rear LEDs.

I'm happy with my purchase, the turn signals look great.

But what really makes the bike AWESOME is how your NUDIE BAR upfront sets it all off.

Posted via iPhone

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Awesome man - I should of known to ask you before I pulled the trigger on the mbw. I'm not that handy or have a lot of tools to make one myself.

You should offer it up as a complete set matching front and rear LEDs.

I'm happy with my purchase, the turn signals look great.

But what really makes the bike AWESOME is how your NUDIE BAR upfront sets it all off.

Posted via iPhone
Glad ya like it.

To be honest, I was removing the taillight bucket, so the MBW kit wouldn't have worked anyway, but I just couldn't afford $300 for the kit, and there's not much to it aside from the lights and the bracket.

To be honest, anyone with some tin snips, a little light guage sheet steel, and some 5 minute epoxy could make their own mount and save a ton. It's not that difficult. I did one that attached to the rear of my wife's seat on her Sabre using just some thin aluminum plate and rivets to attach it to the seat pan. Took a couple hours tops.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I know - I have hardly seen any out there and it look IMO freaking GREAT! I wish I wasn't going out of town so I could finish the sideplate at least.

I went with the clear rear with amber led's to match the Hicks Nudie Bar I installed up front - I think the two products really look great together.

Did you cut yours with the fender off the bike or up on a stand while laying on the floor. laying on the floor with it all flying back in your face is rather interesting - LOL
i put her up on a homemade stand, took the rear wheel off and sat on my garage floor under the fender w a dremmel, it was fun :mrgreen: :yikes:

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
i think my plug and play kit from custom dynamics was 249.00 :dontknow: but I'm no fabricator, i sure hope i can get ahold of one of your Nudie Bars this winter, I'm adapting R upper fork covers to my C and cant use my stock signals

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
i think my plug and play kit from custom dynamics was 249.00 :dontknow: but I'm no fabricator, i sure hope i can get ahold of one of your Nudie Bars this winter, I'm adapting R upper fork covers to my C and cant use my stock signals
They may have come down a bit. They were 299.99 when I did my C model.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just did the same set up. Was able to get the turn signals from fellow board member Anhizer for a lot cheaper price than new. I didn't take the rear tire off and was able to get up under the fender with an angle grinder (had to take the guard off of the angle grinder). Needless to say I was eating sparks for lunch. Will be getting a nudie bar as one of my many winter projects this winter to clean up the front of the bike.

·
Registered
230 Posts
homemade rear VTX LED turn signals on 10.20.2010 thread

Glad ya like it.

To be honest, I was removing the taillight bucket, so the MBW kit wouldn't have worked anyway, but I just couldn't afford $300 for the kit, and there's not much to it aside from the lights and the bracket.

To be honest, anyone with some tin snips, a little light guage sheet steel, and some 5 minute epoxy could make their own mount and save a ton. It's not that difficult. I did one that attached to the rear of my wife's seat on her Sabre using just some thin aluminum plate and rivets to attach it to the seat pan. Took a couple hours tops.
Hey cybrhick...this is sshake1905 in Idaho...my winter project is to put clean LED turn signals on fender of 07 VTX1300C...and today I read the :lol:10.20.2010 thread on VTXOA where you mentioned fabricating your own mounting plate for LEDs under rear fender lip... I want to do the same thing..like maybe order two Radiantz 5 3/4" amber/clear LED "stick on" LED strips and built a thin sheet metal bracket under fender lip to bolt back into the 2 tail light fender mount bolts...:dontknow:if you can take time to email me with info on how you did yours, type of LEDs you used, what gauge/type of sheeting use, epoxy type, any photos or patterns you used, etc ....I would surely appreciate it very much....:bowdown:no reason to reinvent the wheel if someone has it already...much thanks...Steve :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts