Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody tell me which end of the spring would be better to cut.
I want to lower the bike a little and i thought i saw a post on what end was better to cut ,but i cant seem to find it now
Thanks for any help DRM

·
Registered
257 Posts
i read TONS and TONS of stuff on cutting b4 i did mine and talked w/a few people. from everything i understand, ideally you;d want to cut 1/2(of the total you want to shorten) off the hard side(where coils are far apart) AND 1/2 off soft side(where coils are close together). i have spoken with ones who have done all off hard side and they said they bottom out AOLT!!(it also depends on how much you're cutting off) so i decided to cut mine all off of soft side(instead of both b/c cutting off one side only saves a TON of grinding-to get the flat/bias cut back on them; and i figured i would rather compromise the ride comfort a little as opposed to bottoming out all the time) i did 1" exactly which was right at about 2 coils and i ride w/them set @ 2, i'm 220#'s and haven't bottomed yet and have been on some rough terrain :lol: :D
the ride quality suffered none-a bit stiffer but that's actually what i wanted to feel at one with the twisties and cut down on that feeling of "drift". sat(didn't ride) two poeple on her (380#'s total) w/shocks on 2 and alls fine. would likely go to 4 or 5 two up, but most of my riding is solo anyway.

thinking about going another .5" when i pull the shocks back off to put in the urethane bushings.
i also went by bare's(bareass) advice- if you want them one inch shorter, cut an inch off the springs. DO NOT go by 1coil=1" measure the spring, then cut off what you like and don't forget to cut the spring a little higher than you actually want(about 1/8") to allow for grinding the flat back on the spring(so if you want 1" shorter, cut at about 7/8" then when you finish grinding you'll have about 1" -1 1/8" shorter)

hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.