Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to cycle barn for a new tire Friday AM. My rear tire was fairly worn, and Thursday night Jon found a cut/tear in the tread. I was heading out to Enterpise, Oregon Friday morning. Jon hooked me up with Cycle Barn in Lynnwood. The guy said they had an ME880 and they could put it on first thing Friday. It meant driving back up to Lynnwood from Burien before heading over the pass, but they had a good price and they for sure had the tire, so I committed.

Friday morning, after having my bike up and the rim off, they realized they did not have a ME880 in the store. I really wanted the ME880 to match the front tire and see how that handled. They had one in the Smokey Point store, but would be over an hour going to get it. I didn't get his name, but I think he's the lead machanic, asked if I wanted to wait or have him put my rim back on. I explained that I was heading out over the pass, and only committed to their store because it was a sure thing they had the tire and that any other option was too late for me now. I only told him and the gril at the counter my scenario. I didn't bitch, or complain to anyone else.

I waited, instead of leaving their store around noon, it was 2:30 when I got out. Here's what impressed me so much. Like I said, I did tell the one mechanic and the counter girl my situation, but I didn't do it as an irrate customer. Nor did I demand to speak with the manager. However, they must have spoken to the manager, Garrett Johnson, because when I went to pay they comped some of my bill. I would have been happy with a $50 discount, or if they had eaten the $78 mounting fee. Keep in mind, I've never been in the store before. It wasn't like they were trying to save a long time customer. I was just a schmoo who came in off the street. To make it right to me, Garrett had them give me the $180 tire for free. I just paid the mounting.

I wanted to see their good customer service rewarded, so they'll be that way more and thought letting you all know about it was a good start. I know I'll travel back for some of my future purchases to reward them for such good behavoir. On your next visit how about telling them you heard about this?

By the way, after missing a reasonable start time, I farted around at home even more, had a beer, a Starbucks Double shot and waited to see my wife when she got home from work before leaving at 5:45. I don't like riding at night out in the country, because of deer.However I did this time.

I went out over I-90 to Vantage, then cut down along the Columbia to Oregon. It was an enchanting and beautiful ride along the river as the day turned to dusk. At Richland I got back on the freeway so I could make time. Between Umitilla and Pendelton, an almost full, gigantic, orange moon began to rise with a few long slender clouds in front of it. It was hard to keep my eyes on the road, with such a brillant moon rise framed right in front of me. It was like I was riding and watching an artist create a masterpiece just for my enjoyment. It was ethereal as I swept left then right, back and forth in the moonlight climbing the curves up and over the Blue mountains on I-84.

The only real stretch I was worried about was Hwy 82 from La Grand to Enterprise at 1:00 AM. There are deer kills on that road every night. I still got to do 80-85, part way out to Enterprise, when a State Police pickup pulling their river patrol boat passed me. I stayed about a 1/4 mile off their tale. Couldn't believe how fast they were driving. They actually pulled over and let me go ahead as we went into the curves going up over, I think it's called, Union pass. After they were gone, I had to slow down to the speed limit and be watchfull for eyeballs on the side of the road. A couple deer were close to the road, but each time I down shifted to slow some, my Bub Jugs sent them running away from the road.

About four miles shy of Willowa, I was screwing around weaving the dashed line at 55, well mostly weaving it. Okay, trying to weave it, when I came upon some elk moseying along in the road. It was about half way down a long straight stretch, so they had plenty of time to hear me coming, yet they were just strolling along. When I down shifted, it was nothing but hooves and tails as they bailed off the road in both directions. Had to ride in some rain Saturday.

My mom and dad live in Lostine. A small town about 12 miles before Enterprise. I'm sure a lot of you have been out to Joeseph or Hell's canyon. You've probably had Terminal Gravity's beer in just about every establishment in that neck of the woods. However, the brewery itself is in Enterprise. Do yourself a favor and go to the brewery some evening. It's a tasting site. Has some food, lunch and dinner stuff. Large country front porch looking out on a birched lined creek. Have a beer and smoke a cigar our front and you'll end up meeting more of the locals than anywhere else.

Came home Sunday hit Elgen went up over Tollgate, Hwy 12 to Hwy7 to I-5. Man, I've got to take my wife out for rides in these areas. She'll make me go slower to enjoy the scenery. And it really is scenery that should be enjoyed.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Well I am glad to hear things are better at Cycle Barn in the service Dept. Now in the HD section my oldest daughter worked there some years ago and boy did I hear some horror stories. Actually at one point I was about to quit going to any of the cycle barns because of how we had been treated at the one here in Smokey Point and the one in Lynnwood. BUT they went through some management changes and what a difference and they redeemed themselves for the most part if we need anything we go to the Smokey Point Cycle Barn, since we live in Smokey Point. Plus you get a 10% military discount.

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
All in all it sounds like things turned out great! Have to say I'm amazed about Cycle Barn's performance. Great news to and nice to meet you.

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
I'm glad it all worked out. I was really wondering after the phone call and text how much you'd be cussing me for my recomendation :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Glad it worked out. I've honestly have never had any issues with them. Even when they owned the Harley place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts