Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I looked n searched n there just isn't a CT out there for me. I don't want to run a 205 n was hoping for a 195 but nothing was available to my liking in either speed rating or profile. More power to ya'll but I wasn't entertained w/23-24lb tire on my X. If I was pushing 125-135bhp then I could see a 205. Maybe one of these days........................

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Just so you know.....195 to a 205 is just 3/8" of any inch......... I don't see how this could affect your decision. I must be missing something. Have you had a car tire before on your X or you just guessing????????

I just trying to follow what you are saying?????

...........twin

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My only issue w/CT is the weight. I don't want 23-24lbs of tire(more for a run flat). That's fairly much what you're looking @ in a 205. I searched around for 195 coz it's middle of the road but there just isn't much to choose from in that size that I could find. I think I found competition tires in 195/55 and then it jumped to 195/80 that was S rated @ 20lbs.

·
Mad Hatter
21,343 Posts
twin1300, I said the samw thing.. Never heard of Anyone (Until Now) complaining about the Weight :shock: :shock: Everyone has had nothing but Good things to say..

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just saying that I'm not entertained w/7-8lb of unsprung additional weight. Eveything is a compromise. Thought I could close the gap but there isn't much offered in a 195..........

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Cool....the 1300's run a 165's. They are really light, so I guess I never thought of weight being an issue??????

I don't know what you trying to accomplish with the lighter weight. Take off's???? Flickability??????? Gas mileage???????

............twin

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THE G850 180/70/ZR16 Bridgestone weighs in @ 16lbs. Some of the 205's come in @ 24lbs. That's 1 n 1/2 X's the weight 16-19" from the axle. All I'm saying is there's no free lunch. I think it's great that ya get better mileage, it hooks up better n ya like the fat/phat look.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don't understand what difference another 8 lbs. is gonna make. Its not even on your suspension; it's sitting right on the ground. I don't know; maybe I'm missing something too? Maybe we all are?(except Nick, of course :wink: )

-Dave

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Yes, I'm witcha madbull2, I have been trying to follow him and ask some questions and he keeps making statements........with no end to what he wants to accomplish. All tires whether motorcycle or car weigh more the wider they get...........!!!!!!

I was hoping he would come back on and tell us why it was such an issue?????

............twin

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Kevin Kuiper said:
twin1300, I said the samw thing.. Never heard of Anyone (Until Now) complaining about the Weight :shock: :shock: Everyone has had nothing but Good things to say..
liloandstitch

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put on the Kumho 758 and tested, got a wobble around 80-90mph

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
twin1300 said:
So wider tires weigh more than skinnier tires. Makes sense. But I don't follow what you are talking about??????

................twin

Im not a tire expert not do i pretend to be one on the internet
but i will try and draw a picture for you anyway

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Knight said:
Kevin Kuiper said:
liloandstitch

Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:42 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put on the Kumho 758 and tested, got a wobble around 80-90mph
Um..... Put on a rear tire and got a wobble around 80-90? ok,

Well, I put a Goodyear TT on and at 60mph rubber chickens flew out my @$$.

To they guy who is on the fence- either do it or don't. If yer gonna mount it and be worried the whole time, then don't bother. If you are excited at the prospect of getting 20,000 mile out of a tire for less $- give it a shot, and get to know it.

The worst you are out is like $125 tops.

As far as the difference in weight between a 195 and a 205 - dude, get a grip- the X aint a Ducati 1098.

Anybody got a "set" around here anymore or what?

Have an excellent weekend ....

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Riley...... I was fishing.....hehehe

I was messing with Knight.....he's trying to save the world from the darkside by taking it out of context what "liloandstitch" wrote with quotes..... what Knight didn't print was the guy was asking what he could do to fix it. And basically guys have had wobbles from the bad bearing even if they don't run a car tire.

liloandstitch....is happy with his car tire and said so.

...............twin

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ordinarily, unsprung weight is BA-AD. You want the unsprung weight to be less so the suspension will be supple and follow the bumps in the road instead of resisting the movement and then overtraveling from the inertia of the movement.

In the case of the increased unsprung weight from the car tire, it is minimal. One of the advantages of being able to run at a lower pressure than you would normally use. The "softer" tire will absorb those little lumps and ripples. I am running the same tire pressure as my MT and I believe the CT is better.

As an indicator, check the difference in the ride characteristics between a MT and a CT. If you don't like it, go back. I would suggest giving it a good chance; something like 1,000 miles.

I chose the run-flat because it was a run-flat. I like the idea of being able to travel for 50 miles or so to get to a place that might be able to fix it. If you have a simple puncture and you were wise enough to pack an external repair kit (plug or string type) of your choice and an air source is available you can be back on the road in a matter of a few minutes.

All of the other reasons for the CT are iceing on the cake. Not really necessary, but oh so good!

In the case of a racer, you want the tire/wheel weight to be less because of the gyroscopic effect of the spinning tire/wheel assembly. The unsprung weight makes the bike resistant to changing directions. But that is small potatoes. Definitely of no concern to us.

In short, get the car tire. Get the best one that you can afford. I don't know of one that costs more than a really good motorcycle tire. I wouldn't be (and I am not) concerned with the cost factor. It's all of the other things that I really like.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
weighed a WW dunny tire with about 85 -90 % wear on it

19 to 20lbs per my bathroom scale

How much do car tires weigh?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One of the advantages of being able to run at a lower pressure than you would normally use
I agree n would think load wise ya oughta be able to run around 28-30 psi w/CT but it seems most are running 40+. That in itself has me wondering coz ya have the flat contact w/plenty of stopping ability n would think w/extra weight no shortage of gyroscopic stability so what handling characteristic "forces" ya to run way more pressure than is load warranted? I drove my X around 240 miles through north Arkansas running 16-18psi in both the stock Dunnys n included 100+mph straight stretches. Wallowed through tight corners, dragged pegs n beat me to pieces but I never felt in danger from the handling. Felt post danger afterwards of how close I seemed to come to busting a bead the next morning when I checked the air pressure.

Yep no chance of mistaking the X 4 a Duc.

I'm just concerned that the extra load of 8+/- lbs on a stock wheel might end up being rough on the drivetrain, swingarm, brakes n handling. I also don't think that a tire not breaking loose coming outa corner is always a good thing. I liked the idea of more miles due to the flat shape of the CT so I tried to find a compromise that worked for me in a 19-20lbs CT . I couldn't in the 195. No biggie n more power to the CT guys.

The 205's I looked up came in @ 24 w/several lb more if ya get it in the run flat. I guess I should've looked up the Dunny but since I run Bridgestone I looked them up.

180/70HR16 Radial BW 21lbs dunny elite 3

1 - 20 of 33 Posts