Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been sick for the last month and the doctors took me off my arthritis medicine because my liver enzymes are a little elevated. So, I am feeling a little more pain these days and am not quite as strong as I used to be. However, since I hadn't ridden the bike in almost two months, and because it was sunny and 80* today, I fired her up, let her warm up and took a little 12 mile ride. I was a little shaky at first but soon I was riding a little more like normal. When I got home, I had to weave around a car in my driveway to get the bike in the garage. I came to a stop just as I got around the car and at the entrance to the garage and then proceeded to lose my balance and tumbled off to the right. Down she went! I tried to get her back upright the way they show you to do it but couldn't get her up. I had to get my neighbor to help me. By this time there was gasoline all over the driveway. I am really bummed out because this time the saddlebag on the right side came off in the fall and I scratched both of the mufflers. I am also bummed that it seems that the bike is really heavy to me right now. I'll keep trying though. I need to exercise more and build up my physical strength I guess. Just venting. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
:cry:
Sorry to hear about the drop, we have all been there, done that. Treat it as just another learning moment with the 800lb Gorilla. glad you didn't get injured.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Take your time and recover fully. I know it is aggravating with good weather and the bike just sitting there looking pretty but it will be there when you get healed up. I had some major oral surgery about 2 years ago (tonsils out, uvula out, some meat cut from the roof to half way down my throat) and didn't need to be on the bike due to the wind but my body was feeling about 85% due to the meds. I slacked off on meds so I could get riding time in without hearing the wifes mouth about riding while medicated. I had no mishap such as you but I did regret me taking the chance. Cheer up, heal up, and get the bike fixed at your own pace. The bike is a good friend and will sit by your side til you're ready for it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
186 Posts
bit a little freeway concrete a couple years ago..took time to get back so take it easy...you'll be back ridin before you know it Red..take care

·
Registered
142 Posts
I can totally relate to you. Had a triple by-pass on 2/19 and am not allowed to drive (a cage) until tomorrow. It has been the longest 6 weeks ever! I have only gotten enough nerve to roll the bike out of garage and let it run while I wipe all of the dust off of the X and roll it back in. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks before I get on the X full-time but the urge to hop on and ride sure is strong with the weather warming up.

Sorry about you dropping the bike but glad you are okay. Don't rush things - get all healed up first. Your post just convinced me that I need to heal up before trying my luck on the bike. I don't want to drop it just because I couldn't wait a couple more weeks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry to hear about the drop. I've done it too and It's not easy getting the big bike back up. Glad your neighbor pitched in to help you. Best wishes on building up your strength.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I dropped my bike when I was perfectly healthy and strong, so don't feel bad about it! Get healed up first. Bike's are much easier and cheaper to repair than our bodies, you don't want to do some type of permanent damage to yourself and not be able to ride again ever. Will be praying your healing process goes smooth and quick!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Maybe a used trike or those bolt on wheels ? I ride with a few folks, mainly older, that dont want to give up riding but have trouble with balance and the weight of the bike who went this way. I know either case is a little expensive but at least you wouldnt have to give up riding all together.

I thing my friend, LC, put those bolt ons on for about 6k painted and installed.

Just a thought my friend. Good Luck and be well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a question that some of you may know how to answer: With the gas flooding out of the bottom of the engine when it was laying on its side, do any of you think that I broke something or that I may now have gas somewhere in the engine where it does not belong......there sure was a lot of it.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Just a question that some of you may know how to answer: With the gas flooding out of the bottom of the engine when it was laying on its side, do any of you think that I broke something or that I may now have gas somewhere in the engine where it does not belong......there sure was a lot of it.
probably its just whatever gas was i the bowl of the carb that poured through the carb throat. its been a few days so im sure it mostly evaporated off by now.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sorry you dropped the bike but the main thing is you and your health. Enjoy the ride, crap happens.

My Dad because of leg strength diminishing has gone from Harleys to a 750 Shadow and now has that 250 Rebel just so he can get out and ride.

For a little humor here is a quick story about Dad. He learned about the rule " equal and opposite reaction" the hard way. He was on the Shadow and some idiot in a cage pulled out in front of him and he locked up the brakes to miss her, he was pissed so he he pulled up next to her at about 30 mph and kicked the car door. Well this is when the "equal and opposite reaction" happened, the car did not move but the force sent him across the dbl line, across the lane and into a field of uncut hay where he finally got it stopped about 50 feet into the field. :yikes: He says he wont do that again.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry about the drop. I'm glad your ok. Just get your stringth back and get back to normal. I bet you were thinking of new pipes anyway, now is the time. Good Luck and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Lucky is was at your own place with some ready assistance. Maybe would not have been as lucky off on the road somewhere.

Maybe a lighter bike would be more forgiving for you. 750lbs, can be a bear for even a healthy buck. An instructor I went to with my son even had us practicing picking up our bikes.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lots of good advice, everyone. Can crash bars be purchased and installed on the rear part of the bike...just in front of the saddlebags or is that just for H-D's? I don't seem to remember if anyone has them on their X.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I can totally relate to you. Had a triple by-pass on 2/19 and am not allowed to drive (a cage) until tomorrow. It has been the longest 6 weeks ever! I have only gotten enough nerve to roll the bike out of garage and let it run while I wipe all of the dust off of the X and roll it back in. I'm going to give it a couple more weeks before I get on the X full-time but the urge to hop on and ride sure is strong with the weather warming up.

Sorry about you dropping the bike but glad you are okay. Don't rush things - get all healed up first. Your post just convinced me that I need to heal up before trying my luck on the bike. I don't want to drop it just because I couldn't wait a couple more weeks.
Know what you mean about The 6 wks!! I had a quadruple done 2 years ago and know exactly whay you're going through! Longest 6 weeks ever! :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts