Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably rode for about 7 yrs Darkside, tried 3 different tires and the last one was the best. Can't remember the name of that one, something 5000. I liked it, seemed fine, slow maneuvers were well, Slow, u turns the same. But the original desire was saving time, money changing rear tire. Decided when I got to Tucson to go to motorcycle tire. Wow! Big improvement. One does not over time even know the difference until you go back. Most aspects of handling are better, no change on hwy straight roads. Wish I didn't wait so long. Something to consider.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Probably rode for about 7 yrs Darkside, tried 3 different tires and the last one was the best. Can't remember the name of that one, something 5000. I liked it, seemed fine, slow maneuvers were well, Slow, u turns the same. But the original desire was saving time, money changing rear tire. Decided when I got to Tucson to go to motorcycle tire. Wow! Big improvement. One does not over time even know the difference until you go back. Most aspects of handling are better, no change on hwy straight roads. Wish I didn't wait so long. Something to consider.
Soon you will see polite replies, like dark side is not for everyone (translation: you chose the wrong car tires, your riding skills are very limited or actually you don't really know how to ride a motorcycle anyway, etc.) >:)

·
Registered
344 Posts
weight

Like weight lifting, more weight on the bar or less weight on the bar, the outcome of my corner stays the same and accurate.:wink2:

·
Registered
309 Posts
now that's some good honest feedback from a guy who has gone and come back.
i have always thought it was not a very good idea..its a motorcycle.
i am sure there are some benefits of putting a car tire on your motorcycle and i have probably heard most of them but that doesn't grab my attention
or give me any kind of interest in doing it.

ride as you will...

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have never believed that there is anyway a car tire will give you the same handling as a motorcycle tire. I like to ride hard at times and like good cornering which is one reason I have my suspension on 3 for a nice firm ride while others will set to 1 because it looks better. That being said I also believe your bike your rules you should be free to do what you want. "Mod On"

·
Registered
390 Posts
Interesting video that speaks, somewhat, to the car tire vs. motorcycle tire debate. Maintenance (lube, o-rings, bearings) or lack thereof due to the CT longevity vs. a MT. Probably 3 to 4 times the life with a CT from what I'm reading.

The video is phone quality and the part where he talks about the CT is towards the end of the video. He makes a valid point in that the CT causes its own set of issues because of the above. The impression I got was that people are just sticking these CTs in there and forgetting about them until the wear indicators appear.

FWIW.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, there are a number of reasons which I won't list, why I like the Motorcycle tire better. Vested interest is why I chose ct to begin with, and then minimized the negatives because of that interest. Interesting how humans behave. Reminds me of a horse with the eye shields so they won't be distracted.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was relating the feel of the car tire vs the mc. tire effort in steering . I can ride either exactly equally skil,Ed flying through the corners. I adapt to three different bikes on any given day.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was relating the feel of the car tire vs the mc. tire effort in steering . I can ride either exactly equally skil,Ed flying through the corners. I adapt to three different bikes on any given day.
Oh. Heavy weights vs lighter weights is way different.
It would be interesting for you to switch on same bike to mc tire and see the difference.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If you can do the same with CT, that means, you can't use the full potential of a MC tire.
MC tires are not for everyone, I guess. >:) :joke:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Darside to Lightside

I went darkside on my 2007 1800 C with a 205/65R-16 Nexen 5000 Plus. The bike rode very loose in curves and was sluggish to respond in any situation, even after 750 mile break-in. The real deal-breaker was a death wobble at about 95 MPH. Just before I ditched the bike the wobble stopped, so I pulled that ct and replaced with mt. No more car tires for any of my bikes; the risk is not worth the longevity of a car tire.

·
Registered
344 Posts
With in a short time, I adapt to either and would be behind my own wheel around every corner. It would obviously feel different.

·
Super Moderator
63,689 Posts
Interesting video that speaks, somewhat, to the car tire vs. motorcycle tire debate. Maintenance (lube, o-rings, bearings) or lack thereof due to the CT longevity vs. a MT. Probably 3 to 4 times the life with a CT from what I'm reading.

The video is phone quality and the part where he talks about the CT is towards the end of the video. He makes a valid point in that the CT causes its own set of issues because of the above. The impression I got was that people are just sticking these CTs in there and forgetting about them until the wear indicators appear.

https://youtu.be/UUHPu7ZhUS0

FWIW.
With the newer dual compound tires that Dunlop has designed for heavy weight cruisers and tourers, they last 20,000 miles or more now with no cupping. I had just under 19,000 miles on a set of the new dual compound generation of Harley branded Dunlops when I had them changed. Only reason I had them changed was I was about to leave on another 2 week trip and didn't want to have to find a shop on the road to change them. A service tech at my Harley, put my used tires on and road on them for another 7k miles that summer.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If you ever decide to go back, the best combination that I've found, front and rear, is the Bridgestone run-flat on the rear and the Bridgstone Battlax. I've been running a car tire on the rear for about 7 years as well, and had to use counter steering in the curves, but not with this combo, it just falls into the curves, and I have 66 curves from my house down to the main road. Very natural feeling, and I love the deeper tread running the Battlax (normaly a rear tire), and the footprint of the car tire on the 1/2 mile of dirt roads I need to take out of my neighborhood.

I too went darkside due to the frequency of tire changes ( I was averaging 5,000 miles per rear tire, and wore two of them down to the belts, accidentally, on long rides). At the time, I was putting about 10,000 miles a year on my bike, so it was becoming a real pain. I'm VERY happy with the current setup!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you ever decide to go back, the best combination that I'veC found, front and rear, is the Bridgestone run-flat on the rear and the Bridgstone Battlax. I've been running a car tire on the rear for about 7 years as well, and had to use counter steering in the curves, but not with this combo, it just falls into the curves, and I have 66 curves from my house down to the main road. Very natural feeling, and I love the deeper tread running the Battlax (normaly a rear tire), and the footprint of the car tire on the 1/2 mile of dirt roads I need to take out of my neighborhood.

I too went darkside due to the frequency of tire changes ( I was averaging 5,000 miles per rear tire, and wore two of them down to the belts, accidentally, on long rides). At the time, I was putting about 10,000 miles a year on my bike, so it was becoming a real pain. I'm VERY happy with the current setup!
Good to hear. Won't go back for me though. Gotta grease the splines after about 10k anyway, and I love the feel of it now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts