Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the des plaines honda dealer last sunday to finally order my new pipes for my 2004 1300c.
I decided on the HK's 2.5 Classics. The parts guy recommended me to get new gaskets, and a stage 1 kit ($66.00). My parts came in and I scheduled with the service department (didnt have the time/patience/knowledge to do it myself), They told me No way, do not install the stage 1 kit, they said they were tired of taking them out of newer bikes cause of them not working properly. He said that he would instead use a $10 dollar re-jetting kit and he was gonna have a chat with the part's guy that sold it to me. What do you guys think?

Hope to be getting out there on some rides with all the WIVO's this summer.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Far as I know, I have the BIGSHOTS and installed the DYNOJET stage 1 kit, haven't had problems. I changed the filter for a K&N too.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$10 just for re-jetting parts (not sure what parts)...$70 per hour labor

·
Registered
198 Posts
The stage 1 kit will have everything you need & then some for the HK install & if it's set up properly it will run just fine. Curious as to what a $10 kit consists of though.

nh3

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Probably just new main jets. No needle, idle jet or spring.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They told me about the same thing---said all I needed was to shim it up(needle in carb) didn.t let them do it---rejetted myself. Like Johnnycheese said main jet and washer. Run!!! New Gaskets for your pipes is about the only thing right.

operator

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Apparently the mechanic downstairs feels that his $10 jet kit will be adequate, and that the parts guy doesn't know about it.

I know the Des Plaines Honda team very well, they're not trying to get $66 out of you for the sake of a sale. All I see going on here is that the parts guy isn't a mechanic, and that HK recommends THEIR "Dyno Stage jet kit" for THEIR pipes in THEIR catalog (and their web site) for these pipes. If the mechanic tells the parts guy not to sell the HK jet kit for these pipes on that make of bike, then I'm sure he won't sell it anymore.

Ask the parts guy to give you a refund. Tell him which mechanic told you that you didn't need the kit, and that the mechanic feels you only need the shops' $10 jet kit and labor. If he doesn't give you your money back I'll give you the sixty six bucks back and I'll take it up with the owners and shop manager personally.

I will mention to the shop manager that there seems to be a couple different stories about what to do about rejetting the 1300C for these pipes -- you saying the $10 jet kit, and operator saying they told him to just shim the needle jet.

http://www.hardkrome.com/Metric/MetricFaq.asp
Q: I am interested in ordering a full set of Hard-Krome pipes. Do I need to re-jet my motorcycle in accordance?
A: If your bike is carbureted we recommend the Dynojet Stage jet kit for our pipe applications. The bike could run lean otherwise and you could experience a pop on deceleration. The jet kit can be purchased through your local dealer.

p.s. Members in this group (Illinois and Wisconsin) have relationships with other dealers in the area -- and with the site sponsor (HDL). We all try to take your questions and help you resolve them and/or get to the bottom of what you're getting out of said dealership. That's what we're here for.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
operator said:
They told me about the same thing---said all I needed was to shim it up(needle in carb) didn.t let them do it---rejetted myself. Like Johnnycheese said main jet and washer. Run!!! New Gaskets for your pipes is about the only thing right.

operator
You talked to Des Plaines Honda? All the way from Denham Springs, Louisiana? And they told you not to order the jet kit, just shim the needle?

Or did you drop by just to bash our local dealership? Sounds like you didn't actually read and/or comprehend the original post. We don't need your help... :evil:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
big-mike said:
They told me No way, do not install the stage 1 kit, they said they were tired of taking them out of newer bikes cause of them not working properly.
If that is what they said I would still RUN!!! They must have some quality wrenches there :roll:
How many kit installed? and I have yet to hear of anyone taking it out because it did not run properly.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Johnny, the do have some good mechanics there. They don't work out of a shed in their back yard.

Why don't you stand down on slamming the dealership until I can get with the shop manager tomorrow, please.

·
Registered
238 Posts
No David,

My dealership in Denham Springs told me about the same thing about the jet kit. I should have worded it a little better. But did understand the original question and my answers the same---Run! Didn't drop in to bash this certain Dealer just answering big mike's question from the 1300 tech board. Correct me if I'm wrong but he did ask "what do you guy's think??"

Sorry for the misunderstanding,

operator

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the dealer did say no problem for the refund for the stage 1 kit. When I go in monday I'll have to ask more about what they plan on doing. If needed, I can always have the stage 1 kit installed. Thanks for all your help and advice.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Des Plaines Honda just started their summer hours this month, so they are open on Monday. Talk to Rob (shop manager) and he'll explain what they are doing with their jet kit as compared to the HK jet kit.

But, Rob doesn't recall ever removing a HK jet kit, so he's going to ask his mechanics what might have been said to you about it. He is asking if you remember the mechanics name, and also says he hopes to talk to you on Monday to clear up the confusion.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks David! I do in fact like that dealer, so I trust that they will not be doing me any wrong, and I'll see if Rob is there when I go in on monday afternoon.

hope to catch up with you guys on a ride or at the HRCA meeting april 27th... is any membership/signup required other than HRCA membership?

·
Registered
516 Posts
David said:
Johnny, the do have some good mechanics there. They don't work out of a shed in their back yard.
Hey now !!! I resemble that remark. :shock: OK, so I accidentially dropped the tank. :oops: Ummm.....Uhhhhh.. I'll be quiet now.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
David said:

Why don't you stand down on slamming the dealership until I can get with the shop manager tomorrow, please.
I worked for dealers my whole time till I opened my own bussiness let's see from 1978 till 2002 in dealerships and I know this much. Once in a great while you will find a good tech (if you do follow that person whereever they go :wink: )but 98% of them don't know squat. because you will make more money flipping burgers at BurgerKing than you will turning wrenches for a Dealer.
quick test for a dealership mechanic. see if they can install ,set and time points. :idea:

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Johnny, everyone on this board knows that you are good at what you do. But why do you have to bash every dealer as if they were just a bunch of thieves and/or idiots? If that were the case, there would be a bunch of attornies (Adam!!!) chasing every motorcycle shop in the country.

Hey, they just might be, but I can't say enough about the fact that you sure don't know whether they are or not. So I'm asking; where do you get off with the trash you throw?

If we could all get to Pfulgerville we would use you for these things, but we don't, so we can't.

So, what the hell are we supposed to do? If you're not willing to get your a$$ up here to do the jet kit, offer advice and keep it to that please.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts