Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike from the new braunfels Texas honda shop. 3 weeks ago. I have 700 miles on bike. They want $300.00 for first check up. Write back and let me know if this is a high price or not. I guess I need to start saving money.

What kind of oil and how many quarts. My plan is to run it after I change oil to 1,000 and then I might have enough money to take it in to honda

·
Registered
42 Posts
im in the same spot. i called numerous places this morn.. i passed my 600 mile point few days ago. all the places i called were right around 300.. called one more that would do it for 150 plus parts. imma go there 2morrow morn for my servicing.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
That's really high. I paid $170 at Plano Honda. Kind of far for you to drive. I'd call around in San Antonio and Austin first.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
I would change the oil/filter, final drive fluid, and check all bolts myself...save the $$ for chrome. There is nothing more than that for the 600 mi service. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hook said:
I would change the oil/filter, final drive fluid, and check all bolts myself...save the $$ for chrome. There is nothing more than that for the 600 mi service. :twisted:
Don't forget adjusting the valves. That's the biggie.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Too High. Call Galveston Honda. Worth the ride and get your bike checked out. Call Kenny at 800-342-7151

·
Registered
443 Posts
sounds high to me....I thought about doing it myself but thought the first stop would be back to dealer.....Mine cost $180...I will do the rest from this point on..........

G

·
0 Posts
They do not adjust your valves at 600 miles. My salesmen, told me all they do on the 600 mile check up is an oil change, nothing more... I bought the Deluxe Back rest and Trunk Rack; with what I saved.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Orange Rocket said:
They do not adjust your valves at 600 miles. My salesmen, told me all they do on the 600 mile check up is an oil change, nothing more... I bought the Deluxe Back rest and Trunk Rack; with what I saved.
Sounds like your dealer needs to read the Honda Service Manual.

Eddie

·
Registered
81 Posts
600 mile service

I paid $125.00, without the oil change. Included checking valve clearance, and they fixed the brake squeal I had. (in michigan)

J

·
0 Posts
I'd heard so much about the rip-off prices for the 600 mile check from this board that before I bought my 1300R I spoke to the service manager. I have it in writing from him that he'll charge me $120 for the 600 mile check up.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Orange Rocket said:
That's because you ride an 1800. The 1300 gets a valve adjustment at the 600 mile check up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
They charged me $180 at Joe Harrison...where
I bought the bike. Had to leave it all day, but
they said they checked the valves, too. I'll
never really know, though.

·
Registered
759 Posts
mine last year was around $250. they checked valves but ne adjustment needed. just had 2nd servicing for $119, had synthetic put in. if had place to do own oil change i would but i rent a duplex and owner lives next door, doesn't want maintenance done in driveway.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Camello said:
Orange Rocket said:
That's because you ride an 1800. The 1300 gets a valve adjustment at the 600 mile check up.
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice that he rode an 1800 in my previous post about the dealer needing to read the Honda service manual.

When did we start letting the 1800 folks post here?

:-D

Eddie

·
Registered
284 Posts
My dealer wanted $350+parts - with info from this board I told him to go f... himself - and quoted the honda maintenance manual which states 2 hours labor - he budged and did it for $180+parts - info from this board saved me about $170 right there.

G

·
0 Posts
Just had my oil changed, not a bad price, but does anyone think 250 is a bit much to rejet my bike? that's the LEAST of the dealers I qouted. Damn, sure seems high? Think I'll beg, and bribe my friends.........................that price INCLUDES jet kit and K&N filter I BOUGHT.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts