Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several horror stories about dealerships across the country. I purchased my 07 VTX new last May. I just had my 8000 mile valve adjustment done. I guess I'm lucky to have a dealer who takes care of his customers. I told him I just wanted the valve adjustment, I do the oil changes and plugs myself. I was nervous about the valves and I felt because it is still under warranty I would let the dealer do it. He has treated me fine every time I have been in there. The charge for the valve adjustment came to $89.00 and some change. Just thought I give some credit where some is due. Any others had good success with there dealers?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Valve Adjustment

Wow your lucky to have a dealer like that mine wanted $400.00 said it would take 4hrs at $100.00 an hr to adjust the valves not counting the tax i did it myself along with the best help one could have here on this board.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
There are two metric dealers in my area I do business with. One is just two miles up the road and did the work when my bike was wrecked last year. The work was perfect, and when I picked the bike up it was better than new. The other is about 15 miles. Both have done great by me and are good, fair people. Expensive yes, but fair. There is a Harley dealer about 5 miles from me. Same thing with friendly, straightforward conversation and answers.

After reading some of the horror stories here, I consider myself very lucky!

·
Old Goat
26,226 Posts
Glad you got a good one, I think one of the biggest problems is what a dealer calls a valve adjustment, rumor has it that some just listen and call it done, I have a dealer that I like but the only way I would trust him to do the work is if I was watching. good luck

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you got a good one, I think one of the biggest problems is what a dealer calls a valve adjustment, rumor has it that some just listen and call it done, I have a dealer that I like but the only way I would trust him to do the work is if I was watching. good luck
10-4, I'm pretty sure he done the adjustment. My speedo trips were all at 0. I guess he could have fooled me, but so far he has done what he's told me.

·
Old Goat
26,226 Posts
10-4, I'm pretty sure he done the adjustment. My speedo trips were all at 0. I guess he could have fooled me, but so far he has done what he's told me.
Well Im certainly not questioning whether he did or not, but there have been stories, one tip I got from reading here is if your ever in doubt put some sort of identifying mark on the area to be worked on so you will know that it was indeed at least touched.:thumbup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Im certainly not questioning whether he did or not, but there have been stories, one tip I got from reading here is if your ever in doubt put some sort of identifying mark on the area to be worked on so you will know that it was indeed at least touched.:thumbup:
Thanks

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
:lol:an older rider tipped me off thusly.... if you are unsure of the quality of, or if they're even doing, the work... drop the bike off on the day of appointment so its nice and hot when you drop it off. That way, its a safe bet they won't do the work until late in the day, so its nice and cool. Then just show up early to pick it up... and see what you see. Is the tank off, is the bike up on a lift table, etc. A good service manager will even let you watch, although they may require you stand back a ways...
my dealer didn't give me as good an initial deal on the bike as he could have, but the service has been top notch. Its a small dealership, but they do have one wrench whos been to AMI and a Honda Tech course, and they have no probs letting me watch, even semi teaching me how they're doing it. Actually, with the Hacker pipes(no baffles)wrapped with header wrap, and the stage 1 rejet they love seeing/hearing me ride up. I always tell the Honda tech, can't think of his name, to take 'er for a test ride... go rip it up. Told him I thought it was too lean at WOT and he should take it out on I-90 and see WTF? He came back in 20 min, grinning like an ape, and said, "you knew this thing was spot on, didn't you?" :lol:
I did, hehehe... I'm planning a move out of state this spring, and I'm thinkin' I'll take the boys some pizzas for lunch one day before I vamoose.... I've gotten great treatment from there for 4 years now.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I have read several horror stories about dealerships across the country. I purchased my 07 VTX new last May. I just had my 8000 mile valve adjustment done. I guess I'm lucky to have a dealer who takes care of his customers. I told him I just wanted the valve adjustment, I do the oil changes and plugs myself. I was nervous about the valves and I felt because it is still under warranty I would let the dealer do it. He has treated me fine every time I have been in there. The charge for the valve adjustment came to $89.00 and some change. Just thought I give some credit where some is due. Any others had good success with there dealers?
you have a good dealer! He knows you'll be back for your next bike.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Like so many other areas of life, it's who you know that seems to make a difference. In these cases on this thread, the person with integrity does you right! If you find one of these guys (or gals) and if you are so lead, let them know when they do good. There are just too many out there just to make a buck, and while this is very important, the people who sell/repair these fine machines and do it like someone is always looking over their shoulder should know when (we) appreciate them! :thumbup: The other ones just lose business! :rat:

·
Registered
275 Posts

My Honda guy is a great person to deal with, wink wink hint hint

·
Registered
199 Posts
My local dealer makes great deals at sales time, but the salespeople really don't know their product, and the service department is so bad I'll never go back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts